This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wordgirl View Post
    So now you're back to being Smith. Off to the DMV with you!
    NOOOO!!! Runs off and hides under the bed!

Comment

I shall soon have my own DMV adventure. My driver's license expires in August. I renewed it by mail 8 years ago, and the photo was taken 5 years before that. So they have a 13 year old photo on file for me, not that I have changed all that much. I will be surprised if I can renew it by mail again.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I shall soon have my own DMV adventure. My driver's license expires in August. I renewed it by mail 8 years ago, and the photo was taken 5 years before that. So they have a 13 year old photo on file for me, not that I have changed all that much. I will be surprised if I can renew it by mail again.
        I would as well, since about half of the states are now in compliance with the federal "Real ID" rules.

If you're in a state that's compliant, or one that's phasing in standards, you will have to come in for your next renewal and your old license won't be enough to identify you. Assuming you're a U.S. citizen, you will need all of these:
        • A birth certificate issued by a state government (hospital BCs don't count) OR a valid passport;
        • A Social Security card or employment tax form with your SSN;
        • Two proofs of address (there's a long list of acceptable documents, like utility bills, voter ID cards, bank statements, insurance policies.)

Our state is compliant, and it's been a real pain in the gazinga, especially for women who have changed their names through marriage. Once you get a Real ID-compliant license, it gets easy again, but that first hit is extreme.

Comment

I just got my Real Id in WI and it wasn't much different. I took in my passport (which covered most of the requirements) my social security card and current driver's license. I also had my last pay stub but the clerk said the DL was enough for my address. Although, if you haven't seen the new drivers licenses, they look quite different.

Comment

Working...
          X