This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a wuss and they sucked

I took myself to breakfast yesterday morning. Quiet little place - new place. It was just me and one other table, full of 3 women.

These women...
    • told jokes about Mexicans
    • let the whole world know their opinion of Clinton (which, while I may agree with some points, I didn't need to hear)
    • talked about the infamous Blue Dress
    • talked about someone's DD boobs
    • someone else's suicide attempt

They did not make any effort to keep their voices down at all. This was... rather unpleasant breakfast conversation.

Oh - and the Mexican joke? They waited until the serving staff (who is of Eastern European descent anyhow, I think) was gone and noted that they 'might need to keep their voices down' with a glance in the direction of the waitstaff.

I didn't want to get into an argument today, so I didn't say anything. I should have. What I WANTED to do, and should have, was to get up, go to their table and let them know that my husband is from Saltillo and I found their comments all the way around to be offensive and uncalled for.

What I did was pay my bill and leave.

I'm a wuss.
    0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

It would have been funnier if you walked past them and dumped your glass of water on one of the racist bitches heads but then the staff would have to clean up the mess and deal with screaming .

What exactly is "the infamous Blue Dress" though?

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
      What exactly is "the infamous Blue Dress" though?
      Monica Lewinsky's dress, that was used in evidence against Bill Clinton. It had his "DNA" on it.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I think it boils down to what you just can't tell some people and is often lamented here - you do not have the right to not be offended.

You may not have appreciated the particular conversation. In which case, there is only one solution, which you did - quietly leave.

Much as we may not like some people's choice of what constitutes appropriate public conversation, free speech entitles them to say it.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
          I think it boils down to what you just can't tell some people and is often lamented here - you do not have the right to not be offended.
          I wasn't aware that the fact that something offends me is a right.
          I thought being offended was based on taste and personal preferences.

We don't have the right to force our opinions, of course, but I think we can be offended, and don't require any special permissions to do so.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

One of those situations where you wish you had a flashbang.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
              Much as we may not like some people's choice of what constitutes appropriate public conversation, free speech entitles them to say it.
              Ah, but they themselves realized it was innappropriate.

However, I don't know that people have to right to be yelling their conversations, either. What about the rights of those around them?

Either way - it was a nasty way to start my birthday. Harumph.
              0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                Ahh, but that only constitutes goverment intervention. They could have easily been kicked out if the manager decided it. An complaints from other customers typically would cause it.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  I wasn't aware that the fact that something offends me is a right.
                  I thought being offended was based on taste and personal preferences.

We don't have the right to force our opinions, of course, but I think we can be offended, and don't require any special permissions to do so.
                  Argh, I'm in double negative hell. I can't work out if you're agreeing or you have me backwards or I cocked up what I meant to say.

The more full on, elaborative, version: We don't have the right to be free from being offended by others. Others are allowed to be offensive. It's annoying, and we generally just remove ourselves from the situation, but it's not our right to say "Hey, you're offending me, you must stop".

Which is not to say we can't say "Hey, you're offending me, please stop".

Comment

I think it comes down to choosing your battles. There are times (imo) when you're offended but it's really not worth pursuing; other times when you know it is. Let's face it, you're always going to hear something that drives you nuts because there are a lot of eedjits out there. Just go after the really outrageous ones and leave the rest to karma, which is far more efficient and effective than you or I ever could be.

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
                      I think it comes down to choosing your battles. There are times (imo) when you're offended but it's really not worth pursuing; other times when you know it is. Let's face it, you're always going to hear something that drives you nuts because there are a lot of eedjits out there. Just go after the really outrageous ones and leave the rest to karma, which is far more efficient and effective than you or I ever could be.
                      One time at a bar, I heared some drunk, loud moron make some comments that offended someone else, and the other person did choose to pursue it.

This was back in late '94 or early '95, during the height of the O.J. Simpson trial. I was sitting at the bar having a beer, and this guy was sitting at the table with another guy, and we was loudly ranting about the trial, and pounding his fist on the table for emphasis. Something like, "It doesn't make any difference that that Mark Fuhrman guy is a racist motherfucker! It does not change the fact that that motherfucker is GUILTY!"

With that, the woman who was sitting next to me at the bar leapt from her stool, charged over to the other table, and got in the guy's face. It was kind of comical, looking back now, because these were big guys, and she was a small, petite woman who probably didn't even weigh 100 lbs.

I just kind of rolled my eyes and commented about how some people have no lives, and for some reason, the bartender got annoyed at me. At that point, I decided to quickly finish my beer and leave.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                      X