This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Ironic that this book seems to have a split personality - it's also the title of one of the "Great War" series by Harry Turtledove.
    Elyn Saks' book is properly titled "The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness." It's an interesting read, and she's an incredible person. She managed to hide the fact that she suffers from schizophrenia from almost everyone she knew, and managed to graduate summa cum laude from Vanderbilt, earn a master of letters from Oxford, a J.D. from Yale Law, and a PhD in psychoanalytics, as well as join Phi Beta Kappa.

She notes she had the right resources to lead a full, productive life while suffering from mental illness, but even so, that's F'ing badass.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Somewhere I have an old paperback titled "Operators and Things." It, too, was written by a woman who had sufferred from schizophrenia. I read it a long time ago, but I believe the title refers to her (then) delusion that the world consisted of two classes of beings -- 'operators' and 'things.'
      Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Just out of mildly tangential curiosity -- Knowing Subway, Corporate might actually forbid this, but, are you guys allowed to cut the bread in the old, superior style /V-cut(??) if we specifically request it? For something like a meatball sub, this helps a lot, not nearly as messy ~_~
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
          So do you get like ... 2 or 3 olives? My Subway always does that if I ask for "Extra" anything. I get one more. But if I ask for "just a tiny bit" of cilantro, I get a handful
          I keep asking until I get the handfuls of olives that I'm hoping for, but I'm always very polite about it, or make a joke like "I'm vaguely addicted to them, thanks to Lebanese and Italian genetics."

Quoth Jester View Post
          But why?
          Because nearly every time I ask for them, I get a deep sigh, and a "not again" under their breath. And this one lady there has taken to, every single time I ask for veggies, commenting loudly on how much she hates every specific one I order.

Seriously, almost enough to make me not go there again out of sheer embarrassment.
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

If that was me I would have just stopped right at 4, put down whatever I was doing, and said "My shift's over, sorry I have to leave, I'll get in trouble if I stay over." And then just shrug and walk off. I would only stay past my shift for a nice person.

Comment

I remember when tessellating cheese was a big issue. The cheese used to be put on sandwiches like this:

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\

but to cover more of the sandwich w cheese they changed it to this:

/\\//\\//\\//\.

Comment

I'm with the person above about how tragic this woman's life has to be to spend her free time abusing Subway employees. I wish another customer had come in so she could have been interrupted (i.e., forced to pay then and there and move along). I also wonder if there's a maximum number per order before it turns into a large special order that can't be done as part of the normal sandwich-purveying process?

Oh, and all of y'all (plus the BMT commercial on TV the other day) are making me miss Subway, which I don't think I've had in years. (I myself worked at one for 5 hours!)

I remember when tessellating cheese was a big issue.
                That's like the sentence of the day. Cheese tessellation...I want something like that on a t-shirt.

Comment

If my store were a sandwhich shop, the manager would've told R to leave and finished the order herself. Our management does not want us leaving late and wasting payroll. I guess this Subway isn't concerned about that.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

And this one lady there has taken to, every single time I ask for veggies, commenting loudly on how much she hates every specific one I order.
                    That ... is really odd. I think that would make me uncomfortable too, if I said "Tomatoes, please." and the server said "Ugh I HATE tomatoes!" Um ... okay, it's not your sandwich? I hate olives but I'm not going to complain about YOUR sandwich preference.

The Subway I usually go to has "Avocado Guy". Whenever he makes my sandwich he asks if I want avocado after every ingredient. I get that they're probably supposed to upsell it, because they charge extra (which is a whole 'nother rant, seeing as avocados are grown all over So Cal and should literally be a dime a dozen here), but come on dude! I said "No thank you" like 3 times already!

Comment

Working...
                    X