This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Breaker! (Very long)

This is the absolute WORST customer I have dealt with in the time I have worked customer service.

It starts before I get on shift. A guest checks in between 7 and 7:30PM and in the process of being checked in, is informed that there is a Lounge with a cover charge. She is also extremely picky, and the brand new desk person does her best to accommodate her requests.

Between then and midnight (when my shift starts) she apparently annoyed the front desk person to the point of calling the manager (who authorized guest getting a refund if she left right then). (I'll leave the details to her, I gave her the address )

She also went in to the bar and asked for white wine and chines beer. This is small town PA.

When I arrive, the girl appears so stressed by this person that I wasn't sure she was going to make it in the hotel business. Little did I know.

At 1AM she calls to ask when the "music stops" and I informed her that the club closes at 2AM. She continues to complain about it being excessively noisy, and I offer to ask the DJ to turn down the bass. (Now, let me just interject that I have worked here for more than a year, and the club was NOT noisy. There have been times I could barely hear the other end of a phone conversation.) I do let her know that I can only ask, as I have no power to force the DJ to turn it down. She goes on a tirade about this being a hotel and "not a disco". And that she hasn't been able to sleep all night. And she will be talking to management in the morning about a refund.

Remember she checked in at ~7:30PM? The club was open and music playing by 8:20PM. It has now been nearly 5 HOURS. Were it me, I'd have gone elsewhere long ago, if it was that bothersome.

So by now she has pissed me off, and I did something I never did before. I went to the door person and I said "I just got a complaint for <room> about the noise. If the DJ can't turn down the bass, can he turn it up a bit?" And the DJ did.

So, now it's 3:30AM. Club is closed. However, the Bar Manager and the two bouncers are outside. BM is going to stay in a room, and I put her in one that happened to be across the hall from the Woman. Also, BM and the bouncers parked near her room (which was also an issue in the earlier phone call). Apparently BM had her headlights on, and that woke up W. Then BM "deliberately" slammed her car door.

I went out and informed them of the complaint. Not 15 minutes later, she called saying they were in the parking lot "up to no good" and she was afraid they would damage her truck. So she wanted me to call the police. I refused, but told her I'd look into it. Then she complained some more, and wanted me to call the owner. I told her I will not call him at this time of night.

W: Well, I'm up!
    Me: I'll look into it.

She then complains some more, and says SHE will call the police if we aren't going to do anything about them. I said I'd look into it, and she FINALLY hangs up.

I go out, and run up the side of the building to the back (noting the open curtain on her window) and see neither hide nor hair of them.

W: See that blinking light.
    Me: Yeah, that's the traffic light.
    W: They went over there.
    Me: Oh, good, they're off property then.
    W: That's not your property?
    Me: Uh, no. (I mean it's a good 1/4 mile away, right next to another hotel.)

She complains some more, before I leave her to her room. I haven't mentioned it, but she has been consistently asking if the manager would be in this morning. I have been hedging on this. See, Meg, the Acting GM is my relief. However, she has been dealing with my GM's screwing around his return from vacation (see Morons in Management), and is really about it. I don't need to aggravate her further. So I say "she might be", "I'm not really sure", and "I think so".

At 6:45AM she comes down to the Lobby.

W: You're still here, I thought the manager was coming in this morning.
    Me: I said she might be.
    W: Well, I need you to write their name on the back of a card for me, because I don't guess you will give me a refund.
    Me: Ma'am, I can't discount the room any further than you have already received.
    W: It was a coupon.
    Me: Yes, but the coupon rate for Sat is $59.99, and you were only charged $49.99/
    W: Why would I pay $59.99 for a room to not sleep in?

Well, we must have run out of business cards, so I write on the back of some scrap paper the name of our AWOL GM and the hotel's number.

W: What's this?
    Me: It's our manager's name, and the hotel's number.
    W: I need it on a business card.
    Me: We must have run out.
    W: *huffs* What's this say?
    Me: <GM's first name>
    W: I was told you're manager is a woman.
    Me: She's the acting GM, he's the General Manager.
    W: I forgot my glasses, what's his last name?
    Me: <last name>

She then rails about how "excessively loud" the music was, and seeks my agreement. I inform her that it wasn't loud, and that I have been here when it was too loud to here the other end of a phone conversation. She calls me a liar , and says the other clerk said it was very loud. I told her that she was brand new and had never worked a club night before, then reiterated about my experience.

She claims that it was vibrating her hairdryer, "until someone asked them to turn the Bass down." (I didn't inform her that he actually turned it up)

She promised we would never hear the end of this, blah, blah, blah, and apparently left.

Epilogue: Meg was happy that I gave W the GM's name, and said that W was NOT getting a refund.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

If you want to stay at a place where your every whim is satisfied, where you can have complete silence in sound proofed rooms, where you are the only guest so no one else can possibly bother you - then you better be prepared to pay one hell of a lot more than $50 bucks a night.

How hard is it to grasp that if you stay in a place with a nightclub, you may hear the music? And that if you stay in a hotel where rooms face a parking lot, you may hear the odd car door shut or have headlights flashed at your room? And that if there are other people in the hotel, you are no more special than them, and will be treated no better?

Oh, never mind, I was thinking of normal, intelligent, decent folk, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

You met Grumbleina! I am so sorry my unfair-y tale came to life on you like that. She must have escaped Kylie's control.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.ac...81474978125243
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I used to have an elderly downstairs neighbor that would complain about me shining my headlights into her livingroom "late" at night (10-10:30 pm to go to work) when I left for work. Apparently, working night shift wasn't a good enough excuse. I guess I should have taken a risk and not turned them on until I got out of the lot, right?

It gets better. My next car had automatic lights that I don't quite care to switch to manual. Eventually, she got over it.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          If you want to stay at a place where your every whim is satisfied, where you can have complete silence in sound proofed rooms, where you are the only guest so no one else can possibly bother you - then you better be prepared to pay one hell of a lot more than $50 bucks a night.
          I know a place that offers the last two, if not the 'every whim' part. I visited on a class trip to look at their library, especially the rare book collection deep underground, a room that made me drool and seriously consider joining the place just so I could have regular access to books at least 500 years old or more.

It's VERY quiet and you're likely to be one of the only guests at any given time.

The Abbey

But I doubt the residents would be happy about this lady coming to stay, somehow. It doesn't seem she'd be a good fit. Heehee.
          Last edited by mharbourgirl; 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM. Reason: Not quite finished. Now it is.
          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
          X