Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My freelance days (long plus some Oops!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My freelance days (long plus some Oops!)

After I graduated from design school for the first time, I realized that I needed some prior experience before I could get hired for a full time job. So, I thought that freelancing would be a good way to get some experience.

Boy, did I get some experience!

FYI: When I graduated, my web design skills were basic (read: crappy); however, I thought that they were pretty good at the time. This was also my first (and only) freelance job.

Anyway, my clients were a New Age couple interested in starting a web site for their services. I was all excited and they let me do whatever I wanted for the site.

So I put in my time, effort, and limited knowledge of HTML and Frames and VERY little knowledge of CSS to put together the best website that I could possibly imagine for them.

This is where the crappy part of my bad web design comes into play. I had three frames. The center had all the main content while the sides were menus. Because I, at the time, had no idea how bandwidth worked with images, they took forever to load. Finally, the menus were set on gradient background that made them almost impossible to read.

It took me two months to put together a crappy website that they never complained about before. The really crappy part came when we were discussing payment. I suggested $400 (because I was just a student and my website was bad). Guess what I got instead?

$200 AND AN OLD (AND BROKEN) PALM PILOT!

I don't remember you ever complaining about images taking FOREVER to load. Nor do I remember you asking me to change the menu background so that the items would be readable. I don't think we even had serious meetings (other than the first few) to discuss the progress of the website! And all I got out of my hard work was $200 and a broken Palm Pilot???

This is why I never asked for another freelance job again. I prefer a steady paycheck; but I DO admire those who have the courage and experience to do freelance work.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Who the hell pays freelancers with Palm Pilots?!?!! I'm totally baffled by that...

I have only freelanced for reputable companies so they were good about paying me on time and in real money, LOL. But I can see where it could go sour. I hope you have that steady job now.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

You should ask for a raise. $300 and a Palm Pilot that is OBSOLETE and works half the time! Imagine where it can go from there! Ha ha. Just kidding!

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
        I hope you have that steady job now.
        Don't worry. I have a great job now!
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I bet I know the conversation that led to that particular item of payment: "Well, you're a website guy, so you must know IT right? So you can fix this & get a bundle from selling it..."
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
            I bet I know the conversation that led to that particular item of payment: "Well, you're a website guy, so you must know IT right? So you can fix this & get a bundle from selling it..."
            No, it's because I just graduated at that moment that they thought that they could get away with paying me like that.
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
            X