This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of the Club!

I know I still have another fresh thread, but these seemed completely off-topic, so I figured that I would put them in a different post. Glad to know that so many people like Greek though!

Welcome to the Club

Oh yeah, I also got initiated into the, “Not a Mind Reader”, club today. An old woman (OL) was mad because I didn’t, *gasp*, read her mind and put all of her (3) light-weight bags into her cart! I felt terrible, it was as if we don’t put bags in the carts for you. I mean, how terrible is that, with a register design that doesn’t allow me the room do anything but stand. But wait, there’s more! It seems she’s incredibly intelligent of the matter, too!

OL: *glare* So I guess you don’t put the bags in the cart for us anymore, do you?

Me: Annnd, I’m definitely not going to now.*oblivious look* Ah, I’m sorry. I wasn’t trained to put them in the cart, only to bag them.

OL: Figures! You should have put this in my cart! *shoves them in the cart*

Me: *turns around to hide my * Ma’am, I’d be glad to put your bags inside the cart next time for you, if you’d like.

OL: You’re just doing it because you’re obligated to!

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! It’s amazing, how she pieced that together like a pro! It was almost as if she were pointing out the obvious.

My next customer mocked outrage at me not putting his bread into the basket for him.

Learning the Ropes (and hanging yourself with it)

Since we had some downtime, Head Cashier decides to let me practice at the Customer Service Desk. It isn’t that hard, and it’s good training for when they finally put me up there. I’m doing pretty good, just some simple returns, and then DL comes along. Drug Lady came to try to return her phone. She had ‘DRUG USER’ written all over her face. She had no box, no instructions, and the phone looked like it had been very well used. It showed finger smudges and a couple of scratches on the plastic.

“It’s not working. I want to return this.”, she stated, plopping the slightly beat up phone on the countertop. My coworker, A, who was doing a small return, gave a look, and told me to switch places. Not asked - told me to, and I gladly did it. >.> I’m not going to touch this one with a ten foot pole. I am not currently embodied with the Tongue of Subtlety that one needs to deal with this. I instead, have the Tongue of Scripts, where I can invoke an inescapable hell of small-talk, unrelenting until the customer flees. Which I guess is useful in its own way. DL quickly left when she realized that we weren’t going to let her score some fun money.

Bonus Coworker Suck

Coworker D pissed me off royally today. I was covering her break, and ordered fives for her. I had slipped some of them out of the paper band for a customer’s change, and was intending to take the band off after that guest, but then D came back. So I figured any cashier with half a brain would figure out that I had slipped some bills out of it. We do this pretty often, and it’s what we all do every once in a while when we are too swamped to take them off. Not to D! She frantically asks if I slipped some of the bills out of the band. I say yes, I’m glad you can count! I could ignore your, outburst as panic, but I won't. You just told Head Cashier to chastise me. I know this crap, and was going to take it off until your ass came back to the register. It would have been off in the next second, so trying to tell me to neber-ebur do it again is just f@#^ing stupid. You’re also, rude to me, interrupting, and six minutes late from your fifteen minute break. Take what I said, nod, and go on with your day. Don’t announce, “AMUSEGAL DIDN’T DO SOMETHING RIGHT, YELL AT HER TO FIX IT”, like a fucking toddler.

Aware that I'm in the wrong in some parts, but god, the way she spoke to me pissed me off.
    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

At our store, people will skim bills off the top of a stack without taking off the band, but it's not that big of a deal. Know why? Our managers realize that it's the closer's responsibility to not be a lazy douche and actually COUNT the stacks to make sure they're full.

Comment

At least your next customer had overheard this whiny bitch and wanted to mimick her on how stupid she sounds! Ha ha!

"Boo-hoo-hoo! They won't put my groceries into the cart for me! I'll never shop here again because they have no customer service! Waaahhh!"

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
        At our store, people will skim bills off the top of a stack without taking off the band, but it's not that big of a deal. Know why? Our managers realize that it's the closer's responsibility to not be a lazy douche and actually COUNT the stacks to make sure they're full.
        When I come on shift at the hotel, I count the banded stacks as well as everything else. I view it as "the drawer is now my responsibility, if it's short now it will come back on me, better make sure everything is right".

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

The one time i worked at a grocery store, we had a policy to place the guest's final bag into the cart for them. This was part of our Shrinkage protection plan called BOB, or Bottom Of Bin. You walked all the way around the check out and placed the final bag into the cart so you can eyeball it and make sure the customer has not "forgotten" any items that needed to be checked out.

One time a woman's hubby loaded the last bag and LEFT before I could BOB her cart. (Not BOBing gets you in big trouble) So I asked her where the cart went. After she told me, I sweetly informed her that as a courtesy we place the final bag in for the guest. She seemed quite pleased until a few hours later one of my Supervisors had to take me aside and coach me, because the customer complained that I had "Politely informed her of a practice she was not aware of." To this day I do not understand why this needed discplinary action.

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
          six minutes late from your fifteen minute break.
          I am the EMBODIMENT of this problem. I think it stems from the fact that 98% of my work experience lacked "breaks". You went to the bathroom, relaxed, and ate when you had a guest free moment. So I never really got into the rhythm of a fifteen minute break. Luckily at my curreny job, I am not actively relieving anyone. But I rarely ever finish my break on time. This was much worse in places where we did relieve each other, because one person being 2 minutes late at 9am meant the whole evening shift would be off by almost an hour.
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I absolutely loathe people who fuss that you didn't read their mind and do/say what they wanted, then have the nerve to get passive aggressive and snarky with you when you do it, and say "You only did it because I said so!"
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              I absolutely loathe people who fuss that you didn't read their mind
              ...Especially because these people often seem to lack minds to read...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                ...Especially because these people often seem to lack minds to read...
                Well, technically you could read them, but it would be a really short story.
                My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Or large print... "See SC rage. Rage, SC, Rage!"
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                  X