X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Vaio Firewall???

Hey everyone,

I got a work order that's REALLY bugging me.

I had a student come in with a Vaio. She's got a firewall SOMEWHERE that's blocking EVERYTHING. We can't connect via our NAC client agent, Spybot and Ad-aware can't connect. On the other hand, all her IM clients connect, we can log in through the NAC's web agent, and she can surf just fine.

Since she can get on through the NAC's web client, and get online, my job is technically done, but this is BUGGING me.

So, does any of my fellow techies have a Vaio laptop, have any idea if the preinstalled Vaio software might hide a firewall, or know of a firewall that could not only hide from me but ALSO my network admin??
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

It might be an hardware firewall..... My laptop has one, I had to turn it off in the bios. But I'm assuming you already looked there.

Same for my desktop network card. One has an hardware firewall built in (had to install software to access it), the other one didn't. You could also try livecd linux boot to see if it's really an hardware firewall or just an hidden one in the os.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I didn't look in the bios, and I don't think the network admin did either.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
        I didn't look in the bios, and I don't think the network admin did either.
        Go to the administrative panel and check the list of services that run. See if there is something that looks like a firewall. Then try disabling that process so that it won't start up on the next reboot.

Comment

Nope. We both went through the services.

And, actually, the student brought the laptop back. She could no longer get online at all. I thought it was the browser, but Firefox won't load either. I finally told her to call Sony. There's something massive wrong with that thing.

Comment

Nope. We both went through the services.

And, actually, the student brought the laptop back. She could no longer get online at all. I thought it was the browser, but Firefox won't load either. I finally told her to call Sony. There's something massive wrong with that thing.
            What service pack are they running and are they running Zone Alarm? What occurs when you bring up any of the browsers?

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
              What service pack are they running and are they running Zone Alarm? What occurs when you bring up any of the browsers?
              I believe Vista SP1.

At this time, when we bring up a browser, we just get a page can not be displayed.

Zone Alarm was not on the machine, but SpySweeper was.

We can ping inside and outside the network, we can open network resources through command prompt, but if anything involves a browser, we're screwed.

Comment

mmhh, have you tried opening telnet or FTP and see if you can connect somewhere?

It's possible that the winsock dll or the network card drivers itself is messed up. It's entirely possible that the embedded network "card" is screwed. Too bad you don't have a usb wireless device to see if a software or hardware issue.

If it's an winsock dll issue, when you plug in an usb wireless device. You'll still have the same issues (unless vista reinstalls it). Otherwise, I would start pointing fingers at sony.

I take it back..... Since she could surf before... now she can't. I'm pointing at internal failure. Point to sony and say "I sure hope it's still under warranty".
                Last edited by LostMyMind; 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM. Reason: added more comments
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

It's brand new, so, yeah, still covered. And it's both the network card and internal wireless. I did tell her after the last time, to call Sony.

Comment

Wait, you can ping, but the web browser doesn't work?

Check for a proxy server.

Also, check the application exceptions list to make sure that the user didn't block internet explorer from going online.

Comment

i just had a though, what chipset is she using and was she connecting wirelessly. i have a toshiba with the intel 960gl chipset, and recently ms sent out a driver update that killed my network connections, no wireless but could sometimes connect wired. if she has the same chipset family that may be it
                      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

No, it was both wired and wireless.

But, as I said before, I told her to call Sony. So they can fix it, and I don't have to think about it anymore.

Comment

But, as I said before, I told her to call Sony. So they can fix it, and I don't have to think about it anymore.
                          so we hope, she may be from the groups i used to deal with that wouldnt take "its still under manufacturers warranty and u need to deal with them" answers. i hate waranty work. but if she isnt then cool. best wishes on that
                          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X