This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to get into the spirit of the CHARITY auction

This is an e-mail we received today regarding a charity auction held in our benefit.
    Only the event name and the city & state have been concealed.

"The silent auction at the (Name of auction event) in CITY, STATE tonight was fucking ridiculous!!!! I won't ever pay this bullshit of a foundation any donations because of the insanely rude people running the auction. I would have won the Rascal Flatts guitar but the crippled idiot ****** won it because you extended the motherfucking auction which was NOT fair and i hate this organization and doesn't deserve the donations given to help the kids with cancer. People should be SMART and donate to the BETTER cancer helping organizations!!!!!!!"
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

ahhh so we get to the heart of the matter....

crybaby didn't win.

Comment

And what a way to say it.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

"Very well. As you have indicated you no linger wish to donate to our Foundation, you won't have any problem with being banned from all of our charity events for the remainder of your life. Good day."
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Some amateur auctioneers don't understand proper auction protocol. At one convention I attended, the amateur auctioneer would end the bidding by saying "going once, going twice, do we have any more bids?" instead of the proper "going once, going twice, sold!" The next year it was done properly.

As for the guy in the OP, he could have upped his bid for the guitar, if he really wanted it.

Rereading the OP I see it was a silent auction. Isn't that where you submit sealed bids, and the highest one wins? Even if they extended the time for submitting sealed bids, how does the guy know he had the second highest bid?

That guy was suffering from the "I didn't win so it's not fair" syndrome.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'll bet he bid a ridiculously low amount anyway. Crybaby!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Rereading the OP I see it was a silent auction. Isn't that where you submit sealed bids, and the highest one wins? Even if they extended the time for submitting sealed bids, how does the guy know he had the second highest bid?

That guy was suffering from the "I didn't win so it's not fair" syndrome.
              Some silent auctions (like one near me) operate by having a bid sheet attached to each item. You write your bid on the next line, and then someone else can up it later. You have to then come back and check again to see if you've been outbid. The only way to be sure you'll win is to stand there until they close bidding. The only way for you to get outbid qt that point is for the auctioneer to allow some folks to stay longer than others, which is pretty unusual. It sounds like they actually extended the bidding time, which he'd have known if he'd been waiting by the item.

This crybaby obviously didn't stick around to make sure he won, and now he's mad. Tough cookies.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post

"The silent auction at the (Name of auction event) in CITY, STATE tonight was fucking ridiculous!!!! I won't ever pay this bullshit of a foundation any donations because of the insanely rude people running the auction. I would have won the Rascal Flatts guitar but the crippled idiot ****** won it because you extended the motherfucking auction which was NOT fair and i hate this organization and doesn't deserve the donations given to help the kids with cancer. People should be SMART and donate to the BETTER cancer helping organizations!!!!!!!"
                Even if proper auction wasn't followed to the letter, the guitar went to the "crippled idiot" because the "crippled idiot" was willing to pay more for it than the rage-spewing e-mail writer.

Which, unless I'm misunderstanding it, is how auctions work.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I used to work for a charity that did silent auctions. And we actually did a thing where anything with a really active bid sheet got pulled at the end of the night, and put up for a traditional auction with the starting bid as the highest bid sheet bid! It did sometimes piss people off who bid right at the end and thought they'd win, but the thing is that the whole POINT is to raise more money for the cause, so of course we're going to do whatever nets us the most money, since the cause is what's important, not letting entitled idiots get something they want for cheap. (And a lot of the donated items went WAY cheap. I donated a costume set one year and it went for the start bid, which was something like 1/5 what I'd charge to make something like it custom. But that's just the usual "people with no idea about the value of hand work" thing, and as it was for a good cause I didn't mind.)
                  The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Wow, delusional much? "I didn't win so it must be unfair!" I thought the point was to make money for charity, not to buy something you really don't need anyway...
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

What a douchebag! Sounds like he was hoping to score some "rare" stuff cheap that he could pawn off anyway.

And I have never been to a silent auction to be honest....>.>
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

That's just...
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          "Very well. As you have indicated you no linger wish to donate to our Foundation, you won't have any problem with being banned from all of our charity events for the remainder of your life. Good day."
                          Oh man, SO this!
                          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                          What's the difference?
                          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Dear Sir,
                            Due to the popularity of the guitar in question, Rascal Flats has agreed to donate a second identical guitar. And since you will no longer associate with our charity, it has been offered and sold to the third-highest bidder.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              And I have never been to a silent auction to be honest....>.>
                              I have. It's called ebay.
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X