This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I've been in customer service for 25 years!"

So the other day I was checking out a customer and had finished. She looks at me as if she kinda wants something.
    SC: Aren't you going to put my stuff in the cart?
    Me: I do it upon request, Maam.
    SC: Upon request? You mean I have to ask?
    Me: Once again, I do it upon request, and then I will be more than happy to do it for you.
    Me (what I wanted to say) : Yes stupid entitled bitch, you have to ask. You are not handicapped, so take your own dam groceries and put them in your own dam cart.
    SC: Well, I have been in customer service for 25 years, and doing that is good customer service. So....
    Me: Sorry about that.
    Ok people, put your own fucking groceries in you cart, me and the other cashiers do not feel this is part of our job just because yall feel too lazy to do it. Hey guess what, you know how many others put their own groceries in the cart? About 99.9%, so what makes you assholes so fucking entitled? Again, all the other cashiers feel the same way I do and we would say this to the customer without hesitation if we knew we would not get into trouble.
    As for her being in customer service 25 years, this bitch actually went through a quarter century dealing with customers and she thinks this is what makes great customer service? Yeah I tell you something about that.... As time has gone on, I think businesses have found more and more ways to kiss the customers' asses, and especially the lazy ones. We are not required to do this, so why should we? Because its great customer service? Shit, we provide them with great customer service in many other ways. What next, they gonna want us to wipe their asses when they take a shit? And why? Because its "great customer service" and we''d be making them happy by doing so?
    Ah the laziness of customers. How much lower can they sink? Wait, do I really wanna know the answer to that?
    Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM.

I work at a SuperTarget. We sell groceries. A few years ago I had a lady comment to me that if we thought we were a grocery store we should have baggers. All I could think of is that most of the local actual grocery stores don't have baggers anymore. Some people just think they are entitled.
    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I get this a lot when I'm on register. The most I can do is bag using the bag rack right next to the register and place it on the platform at the end of the back belt. If there's a customer in the next lane I can't leave the register even if I wanted to (am not supposed to unless I absolutely have to and/or the customer really requires help and there's no bagger).

I'll tell customers that they don't have to put cases of water/soda on the belt, just turn it so the barcode is facing me and I can get it with the scan gun...but 90% of them do, then I proceed to smash a finger wrestling it across the scanner, and/or wrench my shoulder trying to shove it down to the end. No matter how much you grump at me I am NOT going to try to heave it back into your cart from this angle, that WILL result in an injury and it WILL be your fault.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I had something similar (though she didn't claim to work in customer service) once when I worked at Meijer. A customer wasn't putting her stuff in her cart and the carousel was getting full, so I asked her if she'd mind taking some stuff off the carousel so I'd have more room.

Her response: "I don't do that. I have back problems." (Note that she was alone shopping and would've had to load her car up herself.)

My response: "Oh, I'm sorry. I understand your pain. I had three back surgeries when I was 10, so I know how back problems are."

Cue silence and cat butt face.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
          SC: Well, I have been in customer service for 25 years, and doing that is good customer service. So....
          This is one I'm hearing a lot lately. Customers will bring it up in order to get employees to cut certain corners, or to take returns that we aren't required to take back. I remember with fondness the guy who was, in his words, "A manager of my store so you will do X now".

It's as if hearing that a person worked in customer service is supposed to make me bend over backwards to violate the policies my company has put in place here and now, as opposed to twenty-five years ago.

God, if you're trying to impress anyone with your experience get a job application and fill it out or shut the hell up.

Comment

I don't do that sort of work, but the first thing I would ask is "Customer Service in what field".

As a computer tech, it was my duty to tell the customer that they were doing things wrong if it could result in data loss or hardware damage and put it in writing too.

Customer service in a biker bar is different than service in a old age home.
            Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 03-03-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
              This is one I'm hearing a lot lately. Customers will bring it up in order to get employees to cut certain corners, or to take returns that we aren't required to take back.
              It always seems to me that someone who really DID work CustServ all that time would know better, having had to deal with people trying to get THEM to "bend" the rules for so long. Then I remember what board I'm on
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Huh, around here at the grocery and most other stores the cashier always bags my stuff- may be a regional thing. Except warehouse stores and Aldi's. Even if it was the woman's first time at your store she should have looked around and figured out what the deal was, the first time I went to Aldi's I didn't bring a bag but I sure do now! I guess I just learn super-fast.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  Huh, around here at the grocery and most other stores the cashier always bags my stuff- may be a regional thing. Except warehouse stores and Aldi's. Even if it was the woman's first time at your store she should have looked around and figured out what the deal was, the first time I went to Aldi's I didn't bring a bag but I sure do now! I guess I just learn super-fast.
                  They mean after it's bagged, taking it off the carousel and putting in your cart. That used to be the norm, too. Wally World quit doing it some time ago, but a couple other grocery stores near me still do that. The both have baggers. One of them doesn't even have belts where you unload your cart. It's the old style where the checker takes everything out of the cart as they scan it.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

*tsk* What a terrible customer service person you must be, not to put her groceries on the cart without her asking! Oh, and also for not running the cart out to her car and putting the bag(s) into her car as well! And while we're at it, why didn't you follow her home and put her groceries away??

One advantage of the extremely low-prices supermarket I worked at: they did NOT have baggers. Ever. I had one customer come through once and grumble about "Remember when grocery stores had baggers??" and I wanted to say, "Go to [Local Family-Owned Grocery Store]; they have baggers. Of course, they also have higher prices ..."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      Customer service is a biker bar is different than service in a old age home.
                      Oh yes. The biker bar is a lot safer and much less stressful.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Some cashiers here will put the bags in your cart; as they finish filling a bag they just immediately place it in the cart. They're pretty fast, too.

I buy most of my groceries at a bag-your-own discount place, though. Or use the self-scan if I'm just buying a few things.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post

Her response: "I don't do that. I have back problems." (Note that she was alone shopping and would've had to load her car up herself.)

My response: "Oh, I'm sorry. I understand your pain. I had three back surgeries when I was 10, so I know how back problems are."

Cue silence and cat butt face.
                          I think at that point I would have imitated the same cat-butt face on myself and ask, "well how are you going to get them in your house?"
                          Last edited by Ree; 03-04-2012, 01:12 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote of whole post

Comment

When I go to the big box grocery store, I have to put my bags in the cart. when I go to the smaller one, they have baggers. The smaller one costs a little more but they have a better selection on obscure items...sooo....

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              One of them doesn't even have belts where you unload your cart. It's the old style where the checker takes everything out of the cart as they scan it.
                              Oh God, I have customers who come through my line with those small blue hand baskets, and half the people that do wait for me to take the stuff out, like its my job to do it. Once again, most everyone else takes their own groceries out and puts them on the belt. If its a bunch of small stuff that won't break, I will send a small message to them by dumping the whole thing out onto the counter (probably not a good idea I know but I've been doing it for a long time now and not 1 complaint yet). Also I have started asking them to please take the stuff out of the blue baskets. I just fucking hate lazy customers and customers who expect too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X