X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which my personal liberties are a negotiable commodity

<history>

Since the last time I posted a story (more of a lurker typically) I've since been promoted (yay ¬_¬ ) to head of the Copy dept in [major office supply retail outlet].

Enter a whole new type of suck.

</history>

Ok, copyright infringement is a major issue, and a total minefield for people in my position. End result is, I'm over-cautious. If I think something is copyrighted, I won't touch it unless the customer signs a disclaimer that it's for private study/critical review. Even then, some things I won't touch.

Customer brings me a diary from the store. It's one of our own brand. I happen to know they these are supplied to us by a major diary manufacturer, whose products we also sell.

SC: *points to the year planner in the back of the diary* I want you to copy me four of these on A3 in black and white.
    Me: Ok, I'll just have to check-
    SC: Before you say anything, you've done it for me for the last three years.
    Me: Ok, I understand that, but I have to check to see if they're covered by any copyrights.
    *flip to the first page, all clear. flip to the back page, copyright [big diary company]*
    Me: I'm sorry, this is actually copyrighted by the manufacturer.
    SC: So?
    Me: ...so I can't make copies of them, they're protected by copyright law.
    SC: *Angrily* Well your colleagues have always done them before!
    Me: Well, I don't know who's done them for you previously, but they would have been doing so illegally.
    SC: So are you going to do them for me or not?
    Me: *thinking, is he serious?* No, I could actually go to prison for it.
    SC: I don't care about that!
    Me: Well, unfortunately, I do, so I'm not going to be able to copy those for you.

I mean seriously, you expect me to risk prison for you? Lemme think, do I care enough about you to risk a prison sentence, losing my job, and a criminal record, all for the sake of £1.04? HELL NO!

In the end I sold the guy some of our wall-planners... you know, those products specifically designed for the purpose you want to use them for?

Asshole.
    ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

I didn't work in the copy center when I worked for the Bent Staple, but i did run into this from time to time. One guy came in and wanted automotive bill of sale forms, which we sold pre-printed by some company or other for $10 (in a multipack that had two automotive forms in it).

He outright asked if he could open the package, make a few hundred copies (claiming he needed them because he was a car dealer) then put it back on the shelf.

I told him no, so he said he'd just go to [competitor] then.

I told him "good luck, [competitor] closed 3 years ago!"
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I used to work at a copy center at one of those stores as well. Always had people coming in to copy professional photos (which wouldn't turn out all that great since it was just a standard color copier) or not wanting to pay for upgrades (like custom ordered color paper).

Comment

SC: Before you say anything, you've done it for me for the last three years.
        Sounds like someone else already told him "no" ... and very likely someone from your store.

Comment

I didn't work in the copy center when I worked for the Bent Staple, but i did run into this from time to time. One guy came in and wanted automotive bill of sale forms, which we sold pre-printed by some company or other for $10 (in a multipack that had two automotive forms in it).

He outright asked if he could open the package, make a few hundred copies (claiming he needed them because he was a car dealer) then put it back on the shelf.
          Wha...?? A few HUNDRED copies?? Surely that would have cost him more than the $10 for a multipack?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Isn't a lot of form stuff available for FREE online? I know that's where my office gets the yearly calendar.

Whoops, that answer makes sense.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Wha...?? A few HUNDRED copies?? Surely that would have cost him more than the $10 for a multipack?
              Yes, but the pack only contained 2 forms.

Original thread: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=68191

Sorry for the threadjack, fish3k1
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth fish3k1 View Post
                SC: *Angrily* Well your colleagues have always done them before!
                'me': IF that's true, that might explain why they're not here anymore, now wouldn't it?

Me: *thinking, is he serious?* No, I could actually go to prison for it.
                SC: I don't care about that!
                'me': How nice for you. This conversation is OVER. Get out of my store.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X