This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One man's journey into the depths of insanity. [language] Wireless scs

If you happen to have read any of my other posts you probably are clued in to just how bitter and jaded I have become with the drooling morons who walk into wireless locations.

That being said there is that one feature of these stores that I hate above all else. The bill payers. With the panoply of choices available for bill payments, there isn't a single good reason, not even one, to pay your bill in the store. In fact, all of my coworkers get infuriated with this idiotic practice these morons insist upon every month. It gets quite a bit worse than that, considering that you are not only wasting my time, but YOUR OWN TIME AS WELL, there aren't even bad reasons on offer to come pay your bill in store. It's like when an answer to a question is so bad that not only is it not right, but it isn't even wrong. It is failing in every possible category.

With that, I'll share a few anecdotes.

I opened today and notice a car camped out with the driver staring at me. I ask myself "what could possibly be so important to camp out [deathstar] wireless?" Well I go about the opening duties, one minute before we open (and yes I did that deliberately) I leave, lock the store down and start walking to my car.

Sc: isn't the store supposed to be open?
    Me: well yes, but company policy dictates that I take the deposit every morning. Given that that are other opening duties to attend to, It tends to delay opening by 10 to 15 minutes. The duties took me longer than usual and given that the bank tends to be very busy in the mornings it will be between 20 and fourth minutes before I return. BUT...i see you have a fancy smart phone there, if you want to hand it to me I can show you how to pay your bill with your ph...
    SC: [INTERRUPT] (seriously, any of you played mtg? It's like they play counterspell on you every time you start making sense. How would that card look? Counterspell[INTERRUPT] Counter target logical suggestion, ignoring your own bests interests. Insert insane, self inconveniencing ramblings.) No, that's ok...it just wait for you to come back.
    Me: are you certain? That is a very busy bank and I can show you how to pay your bill in less than thirty seconds. Let me level with you man, there isn't a single good reason to wait for what will eventually add up to over an hour. You can really pay this in a few moments.
    Sc: no that's ok.
    Me:*sigh*

Anyway the bank was packed, took about fourty five minutes.

Came back. Guess Who is there?

He comes in and pays the bill. Looks quite frustrated. With a card, of course

Me: you know all of this could have been avoided if you had heeded my council? Imagine a world where, on the day you have to pay, you fire up your app and press 3 buttons and presto! Bill payed, no getting dressed, no gas to spend, no time to waste! Honestly paying your bill today took 250 times longer than it needed to.

Sc: no thanks, I live close by.

Me: thinks to myself. what. The. Fuck.

--------

On a different day where I was lamenting my squalid condition of taking people's Fucking bill payments all day I noticed a taxi pull up and got hopeful.

Surely no one could bathe in their own stupidity so often as to even entertain the idea of taking a cab to pay their bill. That would signal end times! A portent to the extinction of humanity! No species that stupid deserves to live.

Boy was I wrong. Now take in mind this exchange happened in my native language. We tend to speak less reverently to each other than would normally be acceptable in english. Not that I really care anymore cause I hate all these people.

Me: Hello welcome to [deathstar]
    Sc: hey just came by to pay my Internet bill
    Me:[COMPLETELY FLOORED, EYEBROWS IN THE BACK OF MY SKULL]
    I'm sorry I don't think I heard you correctly, could you repeat that?
    sc: just came by to pay the bill.
    Me: How will you be paying mam?
    Sc: here. [Hands me the credit card]
    Me: do you come here every month?
    Sc: yup
    Me: in a taxi?
    Sc: yeeaaa. [Getting a bit suspicious]
    Me: I realize these are unorthodox questions to ask a customer, just indulge me. One last question. How much is the round trip?
    sc: 15 each way, I really wish there were a closer store.
    me: okay mam, please don't take this the wrong way but I'd like to point out that you have just spent 30 dollars to come into a store and then pay your 47 dollar Internet bill, not to mention the time involved....rather than use the very Internet you are paying for to pay the bill with this very same card you are using today...and you do this every month...
    sc: Yea, it's fine it's just complicated to use the website, I'd rather just come in.
    Me: I'll be happy to register for you and show you how to use the website...it really is super ea...
    sc: [INTERRUPT COUNTER TARGET GOOD IDEA WITH A BAD ONE] no that's fine...I'll just see you next month.
    me: [speechless]

And a brief glimmer of hope ends today's anecdotes

Sc: hi do you guys do bill pays here
    Me: thinks to myself *fuck my Fucking life what the shit is wrong with you people, how do you have such little concern for YOUR OWN FUCKING TIME!?!?!"* Yes mam, we do. How will you be paying?
    SC: with a card
    Me: *sigh* thinks to self *I guess I'll try it, it never works because these people probably meet, weekly, to come up with better ways of being stupid* ok well I'd like to show you this app that allows you to pay your bill through the phone. It saves so much time...you will never have to spend time blah blah blah etc...
    Sc: [TRANSMOGRIFY: TARGET SC MORPHS INTO AWESOME CUSTOMER] oh that's awesome!
    me: [BAFFLED, THIS NEVER HAPPENS] I'm sorry what was that?
    AC: I said that's awesome. I can't believe I've been wasting all this time every month coming to stores and kiosks. Thanks for the tip.

YAAAAAAAAAAY. that made me so happy

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post
    ...AC: I said that's awesome. I can't believe I've been wasting all this time every month coming to stores and kiosks. Thanks for the tip.

YAAAAAAAAAAY. that made me so happy
    "So shines a good deed upon a weary world."

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

There has been a lot of hype in recent months about how easily personal information (including CC numbers) can be compromised, and that may play a factor in your customers' decision to pay in person. Bear in mind, I said 'may' - I'm just offering a possible explanation for some of it. Having dealt with the general public, however, I'm fairly certain that a large portion of the problem is just sheer (and in some cases, WILLFUL) ignorance. That $30 cab ride to pay a <$50 cell bill.... that's just insanity. Hell, you could pay the bill the old-fashioned way, by mail, with just a little planning, or set up automatic payments from a credit or debit card.

People just don't think anymore. I'm not even sure that they ever really did.

Comment

AC almost redeems my faith in humanity; had she not been preceded by someone spending thirty bucks a month to pay a bill, it'd be over-the-top.

Comment

well i only know two good reasdon to pay phone bills in person. one you pay cash. which i tend to do. or you dont have a contract phone and if you buy your monthly minutes at x store you get gas credits.. which i also do

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
            There has been a lot of hype in recent months about how easily personal information (including CC numbers) can be compromised, and that may play a factor in your customers' decision to pay in person.

Of all the times I've tried to explain to people how coming to the store is an abject waste of time, I've gotten that objection only once
            Last edited by Ree; 05-29-2014, 02:58 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote of entire post

Comment

There is ONE good reason to pay a bill in store, be it phone or whatever other service you're paying for.

For a number of years I had no bank account (some issue with an account held many years ago that apparently I never properly closed and went overdrawn due to the bank's fees, so none of the banks would open a checking account for me. It took me the better part of a year to sort it out). So no debit card with which to pay bills automatically. No credit cards either (I refuse to have a credit card, my subconscious insists that it equals free money, and I don't need the extra debt. For the same reason pre-paid credit cards are out though they don't get me into financial trouble since they just stop working when they're empty). So, I could send cash through the postal system, which is a really bad idea completely aside from the fact that I don't know of a single company that accepts cash payments through the mail. This leaves me with pretty much one option. Pay my bill in cash, in person, in a storefront.
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                well i only know two good reasdon to pay phone bills in person. one you pay cash. which i tend to do. or you dont have a contract phone and if you buy your monthly minutes at x store you get gas credits.. which i also do
                Okay, I can see those reasons. I use prepaid wireless myself, but I don't have to go to a dedicated wireless retailer - I just buy a $10 or $25 card (they have $50 cards, too) at the grocery store, where I have to go at least once a week anyway. And yes, I do get points toward discounts on gas and other things. The point is, though, I don't have to make a special trip. Indeed, one of the reason I chose my wireless service was BECAUSE I could buy minutes at the grocery store where I shop anyway.

That story of the $30 cab fare, though.... that's just stupid. A little forethought and the bill could be paid by mail using a personal check for the cost of a postage stamp rather than a $30 cab ride. Yes, it might take a few days to process, but like I said, it requires forethought.

Comment

Why for only one bill

There has been a lot of hype in recent months about how easily personal information (including CC numbers) can be compromised, and that may play a factor in your customers' decision to pay in person.
                  Personally I don't like doing payments over the phone for the above reasons.

However I make all my payments at the bank all at one time.

So once I collect enough bills I go to the bank and pay my electric, water, gas, phone/internet, taxes all in one go. If I took a taxi for each and every bill I would be broke at the end of the month.
                  Last edited by Ree; 05-29-2014, 02:59 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote of entire post

Comment

Well, my dad refuses to pay anything online. And when I pay his bills, I have to go in person. Older people especially (Like my dad) don't like to use the internet for bills.

Comment

The only reason I can see is that maybe they need a reason to get out of the house? I know when my kids were little the only time I left the house was grocery or fabric shopping.

Then again I'm weird.
                      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

$30 in taxi fare to pay a bill? Wouldn't it be cheaper to go every two months, I'm sure the late fee would be lower than the $30.
                        It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post
                          Sc: [TRANSMOGRIFY: TARGET SC MORPHS INTO AWESOME CUSTOMER] oh that's awesome!
                          me: [BAFFLED, THIS NEVER HAPPENS] I'm sorry what was that?
                          AC: I said that's awesome. I can't believe I've been wasting all this time every month coming to stores and kiosks. Thanks for the tip.
                          hallelujahchorus.wav
                          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                          What's the difference?
                          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I can tell you one bad reason to have to come in monthly. When my wife's red-checkmark account went month-to-month, the person at the local store told her she'd have to come in every month and pay cash. One time I went in with her, and asked the clerk if there was any way to pay it online. She said "nope."

A few months later, another person there said "of course you can, why have you been coming in every month?" A month later, we switched to a different carrier.
                            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

This is why my brother refuses to use any kind of online system for banking or paying bills. He's a computer programmer and says the Web is completely insecure. He pays his bills the old fashioned way: by check in the mail.

I never pay my bills in person. Too much of a pain in the ass. I either send a check or I use online system. So much easier than running around chasing my tail.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X