This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some complaints about my first job

I got a job as a cart chaser about a year ago. Aside from chasing carts in the parking lot and putting them back inside, I and the other cart chasers help put away groceries and help out customers who have trouble walking from their cars to the store and back again.

The upsides? a good number of decent co-workers and bosses who are willing to lend a quick hand when it gets really busy.

Now to talk about the downside.

1.) A number of senior citizens like to give a scare by driving really fast and just almost hitting anyone in their way. I've seen a few younger people do this, but mostly it's the old folks. I am not sure if their vision is going, they're determined to ruin someone's day, or they think they are practical jokesters.

2.) Old folks that put the carts away inside of the store in the wrong way in an attempt to be nice. Our store has two kinds of pushable carts. The regular one and one about half the size, but looks like it is made up of two baskets. A large number of customers really like the small carts. A lot of old folks like to put them in the rows in order of big, little, big, little, big, little, and then a sideways-cart. I guess they think it looks nice, but any cantankerous old folk who wants a cart gets angry that the cart-rows are not perfectly neat.

3.) Old folks who keep on talking about how they don't know if they'll be able to put away their groceries because they are so heavy and keep looking at us like they expect us to volunteer to leave the store to help them at their home.

4.) I've been sexually harassed by three old people. Let's see if I remember them right. One giggling old man who slapped my butt. One old lady who pinched my butt, but looked horrified when she discovered that I was a dude. And one old lady who groped my butt while trying to slip me a single dollar bill. Whenever one of these happened, I told my bosses and was given some time and privacy to collect myself.

5.) Co-workers who underdress for the winter and then hang out inside their car. The bosses kept telling you that winter is cold in the fall and that coats and hot cocoa would be provided, you jerks! So what if the coats are bright colors with the company logo on them, WEAR THEM OR BRING ONE OF YOUR COATS!

6.) Folks of all ages who wander around the parking lot while chatting away on their cellphones. If you get their attention to save them from getting run over, they'll stare at you with slack jaws and a glazed look in their eyes. I guess they avoid getting hit by cars because they tend to wear hideously bright shirts.

7.) Healthy young folks who ride the electric carts because they don't feel like walking. Those carts are for disabled folks or senior citizens, you freakin' lazy bags of moronic bones! They also aren't there for drag races or games of chicken.

8.) Folks that take the carts home or around town.

---

And to end things on a happy note, I did read Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett when my job started and on my own volition, too!
    Cast in the name of Death, Ye not living.

Quoth Nonstop_Death View Post
    ... read Reaper Man ...
    For motivation? Or inspiration?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      For motivation? Or inspiration?
      Mostly because I've been meaning to at the time. Then I got to the part in the book where carts were moving on their own and the footnote about cart chasers.

That put a smile on my face for a day or two.
      Cast in the name of Death, Ye not living.

Comment

For a time the Mart of Wal that I worked at was a popular place for a certain "village" with the same name as the city that my WM was at. I have come to the conclusion that to get old there is to become an asshole of the nth degree, because they would seriously try to hit our stock associates and then claim they "didn't see 'em." Of course you didn't see them, you blind bat whose sonar completely died! You can't even see over the f@cking dashboard of the land yacht you're driving! Plus, you were doing 60 in a PARKING LOT. What the hell are you, an unguided, low flying missile?

And you! You're in one of those customized Asian brand cars that barely have any ground clearance! You nearly hit ME and I was just walking to my car! I know you were going faster than 60, because you passed the bat that was! You also don't have the whole "Geriatric Card" to play, so no excuse!

Corporate realized that the lawsuits from the stockers was actually more than the cost of putting speed bumps in. Did that stop the stupid? Of course not, but we got the satisfaction of seeing their suspension damn near come apart in the process. Or in those low slung custom nuts, watch as the "skirt" of the car gets ripped off by the bump, because they didn't plan ahead and park at the back of the lot before the bumps...

Oh, we had law abiding custom jobs.. they parked at the back and didn't complain, because the ones that didn't have the sense the deity in charge of brains gave a rock nearly hit them on a regular basis too. They'd be the first ones to stand back and LAUGH at their less intelligence endowed brethren.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

And to end things on a happy note, I did read Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett when my job started and on my own volition, too!
          "What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the Reaper Man?"

I love that book.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

5.) Co-workers who underdress for the winter and then hang out inside their car. The bosses kept telling you that winter is cold in the fall and that coats and hot cocoa would be provided, you jerks! So what if the coats are bright colors with the company logo on them, WEAR THEM OR BRING ONE OF YOUR COATS!
            Our store does the same thing about providing coats during winter for cart chasers but hardly anyone would wear them because the thought of sharing a coat that someone probably sweated in was icky. Not to mention there was a pool going on about if they were ever washed.. year after year after year.. ew. However no one minded sharing those rain ponchos. :P

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
              "What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the Reaper Man?"

I love that book.
              Me too. I read my copy so many times after my nan died that it started coming apart; the thought of a little old Greek lady telling Death off for being too skinny made things a little easier, somehow.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Me too. I read my copy so many times after my nan died that it started coming apart; the thought of a little old Greek lady telling Death off for being too skinny made things a little easier, somehow.
                I actually found myself looking for the 'like' button for this post.

((if she was anything like my Nan, I bet she would have, too))
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                X