Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We get this all the time at my work because our signs for major sales say UP TO 50% (or whatever the percentage may be.) When I first started the "up to" was fairly small but now corp. has made them easier to see. It never fails though. At least twice a sale you'll hear the cries of "how deceiving!! You're trying to cheat me!". And of course they never want to tell corp. how much they hate it. Then something might actually change!
    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
      We get this all the time at my work because our signs for major sales say UP TO 50% (or whatever the percentage may be.) When I first started the "up to" was fairly small but now corp. has made them easier to see. It never fails though. At least twice a sale you'll hear the cries of "how deceiving!! You're trying to cheat me!". And of course they never want to tell corp. how much they hate it. Then something might actually change!
      I hated that when I worked retail; in fact, I hate it to this very day. The sadistic little goobers who wrote our ad copy were enamored with the expressions 'From' and 'Starting At". 'From $19.99'. 'Starting at $19.99'. They'd pick the lowest-priced example in the product line and that would be the price they'd plaster all over that ad copy. Invariably, the guy with Mercedes-Benz or Cadillac would think a new starter for his car was just $19.99 - and would be shocked to learn that the real price was well into three digits. Invariably, there'd be the rant about 'deceptive advertising' until I'd point out that:

A) I actually agreed it was deliberately deceptive
      B) Notwithstanding, all it took to figure this out would be to actually READ the ad
      C) that the practice did actually achieve its goal; ie, you're HERE in the store.
      D) I wished the head office would cease and desist that particular practice
      E) Telling me how 'unfair' it is was totally pointless, because the high-up muckety-mucks don't listen to the wage slaves in the front-line trenches.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
        The sadistic little goobers who wrote our ad copy were enamored with the expressions 'From' and 'Starting At".
        And even if the store has the price range posted, that does not help. The signs at my work will say "50% off." Then underneath it will say, $4.99-$14.99 sale price, regular price $9.99-$29.99. And that is really too hard. Price ranges actually seem impossible. Our signage (not for sales, just the regular price signs) are commonly ranges. Muslin is a good one. It's like $1.99-$14.99. And everyone will bring up the 120" wide premium muslin, and tell me that the sign said $1.99. When I show them the 36" wide $1.99 one, they don't want it. I think it's silly to have premium muslin, but that's neither here nor there.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I hated that when I worked retail; in fact, I hate it to this very day. The sadistic little goobers who wrote our ad copy were enamored with the expressions 'From' and 'Starting At". 'From $19.99'. 'Starting at $19.99'. They'd pick the lowest-priced example in the product line and that would be the price they'd plaster all over that ad copy. Invariably, the guy with Mercedes-Benz or Cadillac would think a new starter for his car was just $19.99 - and would be shocked to learn that the real price was well into three digits. Invariably, there'd be the rant about 'deceptive advertising' until I'd point out that:

A) I actually agreed it was deliberately deceptive
          B) Notwithstanding, all it took to figure this out would be to actually READ the ad
          C) that the practice did actually achieve its goal; ie, you're HERE in the store.
          D) I wished the head office would cease and desist that particular practice
          E) Telling me how 'unfair' it is was totally pointless, because the high-up muckety-mucks don't listen to the wage slaves in the front-line trenches.
          At this point I would BEG the SC to contact corporate and complain since that's where the blame lies. But of course they'd rather yell at the peons who had absolutely NO say in any of this...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            At this point I would BEG the SC to contact corporate and complain since that's where the blame lies. But of course they'd rather yell at the peons who had absolutely NO say in any of this...
            Oh, we did encourage the customers to complain to the head office. But as you pointed out, the customers are not likely to follow through. Probably just as well, the corporate zombies couldn't possibly have cared less about what went on at the store level. Probably why that chain of store is gone and long forgotten now.

Comment

I wonder if making all print on signs the same size would fix this problem.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                I wonder if making all print on signs the same size would fix this problem.
                Actually, I was thinking something like this:

50 percent off
                ALL BLUE HATS.

Ah, who am I kidding? They'd still ignore it and/or whine about it.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking something like this:

50 percent off
                  ALL BLUE HATS.

Ah, who am I kidding? They'd still ignore it and/or whine about it.
                  The SCs would read the sign and demand 50% off all the hats, or anything blue, in the store. Or, more likely, demand 50% off of "ALL" of the store.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

^ That's so likely that I'm laughing so I don't cry.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

"Don't you think that's deceptive...?"f

Best answered with a friendly, heck, jaunty, "Only if you're an idiot, sir/ma'am!"

Hilarity ensues.
                      I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

At the arcade my hubs worked at when we were dating, the manager threatened to install a huge sign at the open of the arcade. It would be as wide as the opening, just long enough that most people would hit their nose on it, painted in neon, have flashing lights, and blared, "NO FOOD OR DRINK ALLOWED IN ARCADE."

I told her she'd need a special machine that would suck the food and drinks out of their hands once they passed the thresh-hold, because the SCs aren't going to pay attention to anything other than themselves.

Same goes for the "NO SWEARING" sign too. They had two guys who would spend MONTHS banned from the arcade, because they refused to stop swearing.. and beating the machines with their fists, but mostly the swearing. I got one of them outside the arcade and said, "Damn it, you stupid ass, you keep getting banned from the arcade, so why do you keep f@cking swearing?!"* He looked stunned, but to quote a cousin, "it didn't learn him nothing."

*for the record, I didn't work there.. but the manager used me as a plain clothes and occasionally threw in free games for the effort.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                        X