This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $500's story

This would go under Brainburps, but customer was kind of a jerk about it.

Noob coworker get a $5,000 check for cash in drive through. She doesn't have the money, asks Newish coworker (NC) to bring it to me to cash.

NC: Hey, wondering if you could do this since it's a lot.
    Me: Yep, just give me one second to finish with this person.
    NC to SC: Did you mean 50s?
    SC: No, I mean $500s.
    NC: Okay... um...

(I finish with my current customer and look at the note that came with the check. It says 8 500s, 9 100s, 5 twenties. NC is confused as to what this lady even means, so I take over and ask
    Me: You want $500 bills?
    SC: Yes
    Me: They haven't made those since the 70's (actually the Fed stopped circulating them in the 70's, but I digress)
    SC: Okay so WHAT can I get that's large?
    Me: Hundreds is our largest.
    SC: How about $1,000 bill then!!
    Me: They also stopped making those in the 70's, too.
    SC: So what is the largest I can get????!~!!!
    Me: Hundreds are the largest.
    SC: *sigh* I GUESS I will do hundreds then.
    Me: Okay, I will be right back.

(do transaction with hundreds, send out to customer)

Me: Okay, here's the cash, thank you, have a good day.
    SC: *stares at envelope and lets out huge sigh*

Really?

I actually get asked at least once a year for $500 or $1,000 dollar bills. At one point in the past I had to look up why and when they went away. That is why I know in the 1970's they stopped circulating.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

According to the US Mint's web site:

On July 14, 1969, the Department of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve System announced that currency notes in denominations of $500, $1,000, $5,000, and $10,000 would be discontinued immediately due to lack of use. Although they were issued until 1969, they were last printed in 1945.
    They are still legal, but most likely in the hands of collectors.

Where did that women think she could spend a $500 or $1000 bill? It's bad enough with $100 bills.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

could you imagine trying to break an $1000 bill

Comment

I was behind a man in a bank that had a $500 bill... 1962, Columbus OH.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I say SC just because he was cashing a 5K check in a drive though.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I blame Monopoly for the reason why people think $500 bills are still a thing.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              I blame Monopoly for the reason why people think $500 bills are still a thing.
              When Monopoly was first published, $500 bills were a thing.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I assume you use a $500 bill in the convenience store to buy a pack of gum. Then you scream about how they have to cash it, it's the law!

Comment

Also, why would you want all of it in a single bill that's as easy to destroy/lose as the check itself? But carries the extra risk of not being replaceable if cast to the winds?

Sounds like she was butthurt she couldn't impress the cashier at the gas station with some passive-aggresvie "Do you know how much I'm worth?!" posturing.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

500 and 1000 euro notes are also a thing in the EU... the only thing is, you'll never find a store willing to break one for you. Each and every store has a sign that indicates that anything about 100 euros will not be accepted.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                      500 and 1000 euro notes are also a thing in the EU... the only thing is, you'll never find a store willing to break one for you. Each and every store has a sign that indicates that anything about 100 euros will not be accepted.
                      So they wouldn't take it if it was, say, a purchase of 950 Euros?

A bit off topic, but a curiosity.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Where did that women think she could spend a $500 or $1000 bill? It's bad enough with $100 bills.
                        Utilities and phone carriers (especially for past-due bills) or car dealers and mechanics are about it.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I doubt anyone would take one, even if they did have a $500 invoice owed on, it's a headache most people don't want, assuming they don't think it's some kind of fake, (Even the rarely-seen $2 bill is looked at with suspicion by some)
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                            So they wouldn't take it if it was, say, a purchase of 950 Euros?

A bit off topic, but a curiosity.
                            No idea, I've never been in a situation involving that. Probably not, as Argabarga says. They have a scanner that they can run the bill through to check if its legit, but you still have the headache of cashing it in.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                              could you imagine trying to break an $1000 bill
                              I recall reading a story about the difficulties of breaking a large bill - it was about a million pound banknote.

IIRC, the larger denominations were intended to be used for bank-to-bank transactions, never coming into a customer's hand. Since that's now done electronically, there's no need for the large bills anymore.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X