Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit, I sometimes say the wrong word for something. But when someone asks me what the hell I mean, I generally realize I've made a mistake, dredge through my mind for the proper word before supplying it. Or if that fails, it's 'you know, the thing?'

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
      This bitch has banned 4 guys from this site for talking back to her and pointing out her stupidity. Hopefully I can be the next lucky winner
      At what point does your company finally drop the ban hammer on and tell her to hit the bricks? Or do they just plan on waiting until she bans all of your employees and let the problem solve itself?
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        At what point does your company finally drop the ban hammer on and tell her to hit the bricks? Or do they just plan on waiting until she bans all of your employees and let the problem solve itself?
        As long as EvilHomer's boss is making money he couldn't care less how badly his employees are treated...

Comment

Quoth Sulhythal View Post
          My mom is like that, except she uses "Thing"

I kid you not, she once told me to "Get the thing, that's on the thing on the brown thing"

What's scary is I knew what she was talking about. (can't remember it now, exactly, but I did at the time!)
          Me and a former co-worker were like this, mostly because we had been working together for so long that we knew exactly what the other was talking about. Both of us knew what "thingamajig", "whatsitcalled", "widget", and "doohickey" were, I still do in fact.
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            As long as EvilHomer's boss is making money he couldn't care less how badly his employees are treated...
            Unfortunately, I've got to side with the boss here. She's a bitch and she's rude, but until it gets downright abusive, it's our responsibility to put up with it. In a perfect world I'd happily speak my mind and tell her that she can't treat people like that, but this world is far from perfect. So as long as I've got bills to pay and mouths to feed, I've got to suck it up. I try to be more amused than angry with these types.
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Reminds me of "Betty", my drama-centric co-worker. When she can't think of a word, she substitutes "whatever." So a sentence might come out, "I told her about the whatever but she won't do anything about it!" Or, "I can do that, but make sure you give me the whatever so I have everything I need."
              We have that problem - three of us in my circle of friends have occasional aphasia. Usually the most-harmless form, where you lose one word.

I can often define the term quite successfully: I filled in the answer for a primary school test with 'it's the green stuff in plant leaves and sometimes stems that converts light to a chemical that the plants can use for energy' - and then at the last moment wrote 'chlorophyll' in all-caps along the side of the page (I'd run out of room where I was supposed to write it).

When we're aware/conscious that we've lost a word, we'll often fill in with something obviously wrong. Like I might ask my husband for a cheese fishtank (sandwich). Or Bast might be talking about needing to give our dog her monthly treatment for caterpillers (fleas).

About 90% of the time the rest of us figure it out. "Did you mean a sandwich?" "SANDWICH! That's the word! Yes please!"
              Otherwise, we can ask for a definition, or a best-available.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

she insisted that we grab the "peds" for them as well. (Ped is short for pedestal, a small cabinet that goes under a desk). This led to this exchange:

Me: If it's a boardroom table, it won't have peds.
                SC: YES IT DOES!
                Me: Okay, well we don't have any peds downstairs.
                SC: Yes we do, I saw them this morning, they're wrapped in the yellow tape.
                Me: You mean the legs?
                SC: No, the peds.
                Me: Okay, (pointing) that is a ped, that is a leg, what you have downstairs are legs.
                SC: (rolling eyes) Well they're called a ped when they're for a boardroom table.
                Me: Actually, they're called a monument when they're a large square base, otherwise they're still called legs.
                SC: JUST GET THE PEDS FOR THE TABLE!
                I'd start a white rebellion over stuff like this: give her exactly what she asks for. ONLY what she asks for. And ONLY the POSSIBLE things. If she persists in asking for the IMPOSSIBLE, who are you to fix her impossible instructions so that she gets what she wants?
                Let her start filtering the shit out of her head before she flings it at everyone around her like a domineering monkey.
                For a change.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  When we're aware/conscious that we've lost a word, we'll often fill in with something obviously wrong. Like I might ask my husband for a cheese fishtank (sandwich). Or Bast might be talking about needing to give our dog her monthly treatment for caterpillers (fleas).

About 90% of the time the rest of us figure it out. "Did you mean a sandwich?" "SANDWICH! That's the word! Yes please!"
                  Otherwise, we can ask for a definition, or a best-available.
                  Heh. That happened with me and the ex-GF once.

We were talking on the phone and she was doing some work in her apartment and she lost a word. She knew it started with "c" and kept describing it as "the place where you put the dishes and cups." I kept replying "cupboards," which is a correct answer, but it wasn't the word she was looking for.

We went around in circles about it, completely derailing the conversation as she kept looking for the word, I kept insisting "cupboards" worked, and around and around. We finally started to move back to our previous conversation when she suddenly blurted out "CABINETS!" And we promptly lost the thread again as we fell apart laughing about the whole thing.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My best guess for how she came up with the moronic initial instruction was because the wanted it moved into the room to get an "idea" of how it would fit in there. Intelligent people do this with a tape measure and a brain, but when you're a moron, and you've got slaves at your beck and call, you don't need to go to intelligent measures.
                    Seriously, it hurts how few people care enough to measure, for anything. I offer them a tape measure so they can stop using their hands, and they turn me down.. No, no way. I'm not cutting "this much" and having you come back to tell me it was wrong, or argue with the cashier (?!) that "it couldn't have been that much!" I'm going to actually measure, and TELL YOU how much it is.

And I don't know if you're paid by the job, or the hour or what, but it's such an inefficient use of time. Even if it's on a per job basis, it's still her time, which could be spent doing... you know... actual work. If she is so scattered that she can't clearly state where things should go, she should not be in charge of this project.
                    Last edited by notalwaysright; 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Seriously, it hurts how few people care enough to measure, for anything. I offer them a tape measure so they can stop using their hands, and they turn me down.. No, no way. I'm not cutting "this much" and having you come back to tell me it was wrong, or argue with the cashier (?!) that "it couldn't have been that much!" I'm going to actually measure, and TELL YOU how much it is.

And I don't know if you're paid by the job, or the hour or what, but it's such an inefficient use of time. Even if it's on a per job basis, it's still her time, which could be spent doing... you know... actual work. If she is so scattered that she can't clearly state where things should go, she should not be in charge of this project.
                      This place makes Seinfeld's Kruger Industries look like an efficient swiss watch. I'm paid by the hour, and my boss is charging by the hour. This place gives us twice the time we need to do anything so it's a very light and easy day whenever we go. As annoying as this bitch is, I'd take her any day over the majority or rushrushrush jobs that I'm on everywhere else.

And yeah, people really need to learn about this mystical invention known as the tape measure: no longer do you need to guess about lengths and dimensions, this magical tool will tell you with a standardized measuring system... it's the future.... today
                      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Don't give these guys ideas. They'd probably get rubber tape measures, stretch them while measuring the stuff that needs to go into a space, and blame EvilHomer when his guys can't get it to fit.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Fun fact: stress can interfere with capacity to use language. Words are my strong suit (not so much math). Hubby and I were having a hard time and I started losing words (not normal for me). I was looking right at a blue and white plastic box with "igloo" written on the side and could not come up with "cooler."
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Am I supposed to crack open that skull of yours and move the empty contents?
                            Don't. That lonely spider would otherwise be homeless.
                            O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Working...
                            X