This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• but you never TOLD me that..

Don't you love this line "but you never TOLD me that!”“ Well I was NEVR told that"..every SC says it when you refuse to refund something..."but no when ever TOLD me that..."

This lady the other day was trying to return clearance items...the girl at the desk refused to refund them, and told the lady that you can't and never have been able to return clearance items EVER..lady hit the roof..said she was "never TOLD that..she never KNEW that...you should have TOLD her that BEFORE she bought the items blah blah blah"...girl at the desk said that they repeatedly announce over the PA system whenever there is clearance items that you cannot return them once you buy them..that in fact every employee MUST tell you that when you buy the items..and so on...lady would hear none of it..kept saying she was never told this and should get her refund anyway...girl kept trying to explain that in fact she must have been told..and there would be no refund as the items wouldn't even scan up because the system knew they were clearance items. OH what a explosion I saw then.."WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY WON'T SCAN UP< NO ONE TOLD ME I COULDN"T GET A REFUND ON CLEARANCE ITEMS!!! I WANT MY BLOODY REFUND!"..waaa I really had to grit my teeth ...REALLY had to grit my teeth...girl at the desk kept trying to explain that she couldn't do anything for her, and got a manager who explained the same thing...fortunately I was served and got out of there before I saw any more tantrums.
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Oh yeah, more times than I can count. I worked in this crappy store called Tempo Fashions for about a year. There was a HUGE 3 ft by 5 ft. sign with bold red lettering right above the counter that said, "No Cash Refunds". Invariably, everyone would claim they didn't know that and no one told them.

Comment

Oh God, you want to see the list of things people claim not to have been told by their IT department?

If we actually told them all of it, they'd never read the monstrous book it would be. Even if they read it, there's no hope any person would remember it.

In most cases, the information the person complained to me wasn't "told" to them, was actually available on the IT help pages on the corporate intranet. We are talking some basic stuff too, like if you empty your recycle bin the document is 'gone' gone, you shouldn't store stuff in public access folders, and you should never rely on a floppy disk but rather always have another copy of any file on one.

"You never told me..............."

"A - it is on the intranet. We can't force you to read it, but we do put there so you can read it and know.
      B - if we did attempt to actually "tell" you everything, you would have a book the size of War and Peace to get through - are you seriously telling me you'd read it?"

Comment

God Ive had that tantrum thrown at me at least 20 times

I just dont care anymore, let them rant and rave until they run out of steam, then repeat the policy again.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
          Oh God, you want to see the list of things people claim not to have been told by their IT department?
          Ugh. (L)users just piss me off. My favorite thing lately, are the idiots who refuse to save their files on the server, yet bitch when their terminal dies...and all their "important" work is lost. Apparently, it's *my job* to waste time making sure the memo they wrote in 1992 that's saved on their terminal is taken care of.

Uh, I don't think so. If it's not on the server, it's not getting backed up. In other words, cry me a freaking river...I have more important things to do!
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
            Here here! I hate it when they pull that card. "You didn't tell me...", and it's cousin, "How was I supposed to know?" UGH... A friend of mine has a saying that I like to use now and then: LIU. Stands for Look It Up.

How do I...? LIU.
            Where is..? LIU.
            What is..? LIU.

And my favorite, RTFM (Read the f-ing manual!)

Had a call the other day, printer wasn't printing. I go down, it's saying 'ORDER CARTIRDGE. LESS THAN 400 PAGES REMAINING.' So I replace the toner cartridge. It starts right up. The look on his face when he realized that's all he needed to do was priceless. (I will admit, I don't know why it wouldn't print with 400 pages to go.. but still. Thanks, HP!)

Just today, I had a 'You didn't tell me..' moment, except this one was the other way around. Users have a nasty habit of not giving enough information when they want you to do something. I had to set up some equipment at a local hotel for a meeting some of the suits are having. The work order said, in effect: Install a hub, and we need to print. Oh, and BTW, Xerox will be along to install a copier.

IT Translation: Install hub... check. Take a printer over... check.

User's translation, that I didn't get told until today: Install hub, and hook everyone up to this Xerox that is also a printer.

People wonder why I have a target drawn on my whiteboard that says 'BANG HEAD HERE.'
            Last edited by IT Grunt; 10-09-2006, 03:18 PM.
            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

I hate, hate, hate the phrase "Nobody told me!" more than almost any other.

Almost every day I have this conversation:

SC: Nobody told me I'd have to pay fines if I didn't bring my book back!
              Me: Did you get a copy of the library guide when you joined?
              SC: Yes, but I didn't read it.

*headdesk*
              Me non rogo, hic modo laboro.

Comment

Ignorance of the rule does not equate to protection from the rule.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Having worked in different offices for the past 5 years I can attest that MANY people working in the office, from low level clerical to CEOs just DON'T READ THE MANUALS.
                  It was so sad.
                  I became the printer expert because when a certain message came up I knew what to do. The message? "Check Toner Cartridge" Do you know how many people asked what that meant? What do you think it means?
                  Apparently I knew what to do because I would take the toner cartridge out and either just shake it up a bit or replace it. Really, how hard is it to read the manual? Too hard for most people apparently.
                  Do I dare
                  Disturb the universe?
                  In a minute there is time
                  For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

"Hey, what does 'add more toner' mean?" "It says 'replace toner' I don't know how to do that. Can you drop everything and do that for me?"

Suuuuure. <pound head on wall>
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

No one ever told me not to put jelly beans in my nose, but You didn't see me doing it!

Comment

I love it when people order a script then don't pick it up for a week or more, and then are suprised that we stored the script back on their file and returned the product to stock. What, did you think we were gping to hold onto it forever? One, we don't have enough storage space for more than 10 days worth of scripts (we've had to add bins to another shelving unit across from the main one, because scripts were overflowing and had to be put in shopping baskets on the floor). Two, insurance companies only want outstanding claims to be out for 7 days, anything past that needs to be stored.

My favorite person thus far had ordered some stuff right befor January 1st so she could get the claim in before her deductible rolled over. Ok, lots of people do that. She neglected to pick it up for another month and a half, and was livid that we'd reversed the claim and put her meds back.
                        "Why isn't there a sign up? You should tell people that!"
                        If I had to post a sign for every law from the board of pharmacy and every policy from insurance companies that we have to follow, I'd have papered the entire inside and outside of the store.

Comment

Quoth Melxb View Post
                          I became the printer expert because when a certain message came up I knew what to do. The message? "Check Toner Cartridge" Do you know how many people asked what that meant? What do you think it means?
                          Apparently I knew what to do because I would take the toner cartridge out and either just shake it up a bit or replace it. Really, how hard is it to read the manual? Too hard for most people apparently.
                          In a lot of workplaces, only the IT staff get access to the manuals for hardware, and I'm sure I'm not the only one uncomfortable with poking around the innards of unfamiliar hardware without that manual handy. I dread breaking something expensive, especially if it's someone else's property.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                            In a lot of workplaces, only the IT staff get access to the manuals for hardware, and I'm sure I'm not the only one uncomfortable with poking around the innards of unfamiliar hardware without that manual handy. I dread breaking something expensive, especially if it's someone else's property.
                            Oh, how I wish the people here shared the same attitude and would just call me first. I can't tell you how many times something breaks (printer, keyboard, mouse.. small stuff usually), and they go the storeroom (yes, printers are on stores!) and get what they need, then end up doing one of two things:

1) Make their situation worse, then call me and act like it 'just broke all of a sudden!'
                            2) Can't figure out how it hooks up, and sheepishly call me.

Typically, I keep the manuals on the equipment, but there are a few here who think they are computer geniuses and will boldly march forward to slay the tech dragon, then come back with their rear end handed to them on a platter.

In the end, though, I really don't complain. It's job security.
                            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

The last time someone told me "No one told me" I ask if he was told to pick up the toilet seat, or did he just pee everywhere until someone called him on it?

Comment

Working...
                              X