X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolution (New JJ Abrams show)

spoiler-ish if you haven't seen it yet.

I'm not even 10 minutes into the show and I call bullshit. This is before I even get to the logic behind EVERYTHING shutting off. Those planes that fell out of the sky, I don't think would have fallen like that. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they're engineered not to do that.

But the big bullshit is the utter collapse of infrastructure everywhere. That is absolute nonsense. I really don't think everything would collapse and revert to some medieval society.

I'm going to watch it, but I'm leery because of J.J. Abrams and the plane falling out of the sky in the preview gives it two strikes already.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Well, it's up on hulu. They just sort of fell, no aerodynamics or anything. I dunno, maybe that's the point. With Alcatraz our joke was that it was a Fringe event and that one day Walter or Olivia would show up.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
        Those planes that fell out of the sky, I don't think would have fallen like that. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they're engineered not to do that.
        lots of electronics, and most airlines have a policy of the planes being on autopilot at all times save for takeoff and landing, and many younger pilots don't have the skills to recover from what should be minor issues(there have been news reports on this issue)

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
        But the big bullshit is the utter collapse of infrastructure everywhere. That is absolute nonsense. I really don't think everything would collapse and revert to some medieval society.
        It's been claimed that every society is three days from revolution, which is likely where the show's idea came from. I find it plausible, look at what happens in the wake of hurricanes and earthquakes, now imagine that on a worldwide scale, with the knowledge that no rescue is ever going to come, or hoping for rescue that doesn't come, because there is no way to spread information, only rumors. Maybe you hear the next city over wasn't affected, and are hoarding supplies while your shelves are bare.....
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Hey it's a TV show, so I can suspend disbelief and go along with the ride. Though I will admit the airplane thing bothered me. They made it look like the airplanes had stopped in mid-air and then just dropped to the ground.

I'm really hoping the show delves into the human nature side of things. The premise is interesting and developing characters could make it great. Kind of "meh" so far on that front though (although the hottie uncle is awesome!).
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm not a pilot, but I know a few, and before this show even came out, I've had discussions with said pilots where they told me that if everything failed in an airplane, it could still glide to a crash landing. Let's say for the hell of it that the pilot lost all control, and couldn't even adjust to go into glider mode....why would the plane spin like that? Answer: it wouldn't.

Now forget the plane for a moment. Let's talk about all the power going off. Considering there are so many different grids and power systems within each country, let alone on different continents, how the hell would all the power go out at once? And even if it DID, how would that affect cars, trains, planes? And have we forgotten that there are these things called generators?

I can suspend disbelief as much as anyone, and I am enjoying the show, but honestly, this is just patently ridiculous. Even if everything failed, why wouldn't someone be able to start an engine up for a car or a generator?

I agree that that is utter bullshit, but I watch because of, quite honestly, the hot chick. And to be fair, if you can accept the premise (which is the same as asking someone to swallow a dump truck), the show is not too bad.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

So, given Abrams' track record, I have a simple question to ask:

How much lens flare is there?
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Or steam? And it's pretty amazing the main girl has slick machine made leather boots.

eta: it's a fun show so far, it's just really hard to swallow. At least Fringe tries to offer up a scientific explanation.

Comment

As for the generators, cars, etc..EMP could disrupt them so that they wouldn't work. More could be made though..so I am not exactly sure how they would be kept from being fixed/more being made. As for everything going out at once, yes..but if it was an emp like event..it would have to pretty much be a world wide one..and some things are EMP shielded. So...*shrugs*

However, IF something like that happened, and the world truly was dark and going to stay dark for a long time..yes in first world countries..even some second world countries..things would go bad FAST. Third world countries would shrug, and go about their lives. Some people in both first and second world (more so in second world) would be more fit to survive..but not as many as you might think. People living near farms would be ok..but think about the city you live in. Where does produce/etc come from? If it is more then 50 or so miles..it is going to take a LONG time for it to get anywhere. 100 miles? More? Remember not even a motorcycle to get anywhere. Wouldn't be pretty.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I considered EMP, but it doesn't explain why nothing will work anymore.

Also, anyone else notice how everyone's clothes are in good condition and fashionable? This after 15 years of no power, of civilization collapsing. Riiiiiiight.

"We're all gonna end up with our heads on a stick."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

It's supposedly some kind of active suppression, which prevents electricity from working at all. (I'm kinda surprised it wouldn't have any effect on nerve/brain cells, but oh well...)

Gasoline engines, which require an electric spark to operate, wouldn't work. Diesel engines would, but it'd be a huge bitch to retrofit them since most made nowadays use electric fuel pumps and injectors. Starting one would be quite a task, since starter motors wouldn't turn. Steam engines would be workable.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        So, given Abrams' track record, I have a simple question to ask:

How much lens flare is there?
                        Thankfully no, not that I noticed.

I thought this show was going to be based on the Sterling book series - Dies the Fire. In that book everything stopped working all of a sudden and planes did fall out of the sky, but one survivor did manage to land his small plane. The main characters in that book survived in part because they raided a pioneer exibit at the local museum and stole a horse drawn cart and equipment that didn't need electricity. I didn't finish reading the series, so I don't know if they ever found out what had caused the event in the first place.
                        I gave this show a shot - not sure about it yet.

Comment

We were also wondering how the hero uncle became Mr. Sword fighting billy bad ass. From Marine Sargent to lost member of the Three Musketeers?

Comment

This is kind of odd. I expected a board so heavily into the allied genres would already be discussing the similarities between "Revolution's" universe and S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series. No one has read it? "Curiouser and curiouser."

In any case, thanks for the heads up on stuff so far. My TV plate is kind of full, so I'll probably be Hulu'ing it a few eps at once as time allows.

EDIT!

lol. Sorry auntiem. I didn't refresh the loaded page before I wrote. As of the third book of the second (third if you count 'Nantucket.') cycle of the series the causative agent is still in the air, but there are hints that it is a.)magic, b.)alien technology, or c.)alien magicology.

Also, show watchers. Do guns work?
                            Last edited by sms001; 09-23-2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Also, show watchers. Do guns work?
                              They do - so that aspect doesn't work for me. I was expecting Emberverse (thank-you for that - it took hunting around the house to find the book to get the title) reversion to weapons. Since the guns work it is just a futuristic version of the wild west.

Comment

Working...
                              X