This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of bug is this?

Sorry I don't have a picture but I was trying to get the gardening done before the rain started again.

I bought a bag of potting soil and in it was this very small, metallic gold insect. It had a flat body kinda like an elm bug. There was sort of a pattern in black on its back.

All my google searches will pull up is a Tortoise Beetle but it isn't that--didn't look anything like it except for color.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Stinkbug! It's a bad year for them, as they're breeding in huge numbers. Don't squash them, because they do smell when crunched. Took me awhile to figure it out, too, but that definitely sounds like a stinkbug.

Comment

Might be, it looked a lot like that but none of the images I found showed a metallic looking bug. Also, one of the descriptions said they were dime-sized? This one was nowhere near that big. More the size of a ladybug, but not dome-shaped.
      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Maybe a squash bug? They've been horrible around here.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

If it looked like this, then that's a stink bug.

What you DON'T want to do is squash those. Besides the fact that it'll smell bad, that smell will also end up attracting MORE stink bugs.

We occasionally find one or two inside our house, seeking shelter from colder weather, and when we find them, we catch them in some toilet paper and flush them down the toilet. No stink, less risk of more coming because of it.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Possibly a Harlequin Bug? It is a variety of stink bug. Many more pictures are here.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I don't know, but I've found this site useful for ID-ing mystery beetles: http://bugguide.net/node/view/60/bgpage
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

omg we have stink bugs? I've never run across one.

I hear ya on the gardening thing I finished mine up yesterday before the rain started again even though it was like the last thing I wanted to do.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  Funny, I just this morning had to remove one from my cube at work...
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    Apparently, the Pacific NW does have them. I've never run across them either, though, so I don't think they're common.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm not convinced it was a stinkbug. I still think the size and color are wrong but without a picture I'll probably never know.

The only stinkbug I've ever seen is this one. We had them all the time in Idaho.

Comment

I just did a google search, and found this:

Golden Tortoise Beetle

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0502.htm
                        (Bottom of the page)

Comment

Working...
                        X