This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! limitation on hours??

So, apparently, in Virginia, there will be a new law to start in January 2013 about being unable to work past 25 hours a week.
    Currently, I optimally work 28 hours a week... I NEED those extra hours.
    Is this law true?? I've been trying to google the info but to no success. Does anyone know about it or know where I can get the info?
    ..i NEED those 3 extra hours a week, they make a HUGE difference omgomgomg...

I don't know about Virginia specifically, but a lot of businesses are cutting hours back below 30 per week because of the Federal "Affordable Care Act". The only suggestion I can give is that, because businesses won't be willing to have people cover as many hours, they'll have to hire additional workers to do the work. This means you'll have more opportunity to take a second job.

Comment

I don't thinki understand your question. You're asking if the state of Virginia is going to legally limit hours worked? Are you under the age of 18? Or is this a blanket amount for everyone? There would be no way that i can figure for a state to have that kind of legislation. My google flu didn't turn up anything but if you find anything else out, please post it here. Im interested to know what you're talking about.

Comment

I am 19 years old and I've put down all I know. Im trying to figure out what this law that's supposedly being put into effect in Jan 2013 that will limit the hours worked by a part time employee to 25 a week. Im trying to find more info on it and if that's really true or not.
        And no, unfortunately that does not give me extra opportunity for a second job because I work from 130-630 which is the most awkward frame set I know, ugh

Comment

Ok, that kind of makes more sense. ill keep my eyes peeled for you.

Comment

Many states have such laws for students specifically (especially full-time ones), but I could not turn up anything about a global version, either. This thread was actually one of the first-page results >_>
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Virginia's L&I hasn't posted anything about any upcoming changes to workers' hours. Currently, there are no limitations on hours if you're over 16: http://www.doli.virginia.gov/laborla...rlaw_faqs.html

I would contact L&I if you are concerned, but I would think that something would be posted somewhere if this was going into effect.

Where did you hear about this? Is it possible that it's not a law, but a policy change at your workplace? You may ask you boss about it, too.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I don't see what interest the state would have in limiting hours for part time workers who are adults...I can certainly see where the employer might want to do that, though, because if you are classified as part time but you are consistently scheduled to work full time hours, they may have to offer benefits.* (This worked in my favor when I moved back to NJ and started at the bookstore again; I was supposed to be part time but I was consistently getting 32 hours a week for a few months; they kept old schedules on file so I was able to go back and see exactly how long I had been scheduled that way, and was able to make my case for being reclassed as full time and getting my health insurance back. I was paying for COBRA coverage from my previous job but couldn't afford it for much longer.)

*If there is a law about part time hours, it may be related to that; perhaps the change is that benefits have to kick in at 25 hours/week instead of 30 or 32?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I always thought that full time hours were when you worked 40+ a week?
                  Im not sure but the point of preventing benefits kicking in might be the reason. They're having a staff meeting this Monday about it but I can't attend because of night class. I've already missed so many my Prof is super angry :T

Comment

I know that full time, for me, is minimum 35, maximum 40 hours per week, and anything over 40 is overtime. I think that's Iowa law, but it could just be my workplace too. No idea about the part time thing. Hopefully for your sake it's just a rumor!
                    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                      I always thought that full time hours were when you worked 40+ a week?
                      40 is the maximum before overtime kicks in (by federal law); the minimum to be considered full-time varies by employer.

According to wikipedia:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer (US Department of Labor). The definition by employer can vary and is generally published in a company's Employee Handbook. Companies commonly require from 30–35 hours per week to be defined as full-time and therefore eligible for benefits.
                      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 10-28-2012, 01:28 AM.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think its called theft and greed.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                          I know that full time, for me, is minimum 35, maximum 40 hours per week, and anything over 40 is overtime. I think that's Iowa law, but it could just be my workplace too. No idea about the part time thing. Hopefully for your sake it's just a rumor!
                          If only But i don't think that they'd call for a meeting just for a rumor seeing as how my supervisor was the one telling me what the meeting was about in advance since i can't attend.
                          After the meeting, im going to ask around to get more info the following day. I wish it was on Tuesday and not Monday ugh

Comment

I used to work at a store where 34 hours was considered full-time, but nobody under management level ever actually got full-time pay, no matter how many hours they worked. It was a grocery store, so their philosophy about it was "You don't like it? Quit." Sadly, the family that owns the place has enough influence that, had anyone ever tried to sue them over it (unlikely), the case would have just quietly slipped through the cracks.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X