Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with what everyone else said. The dog would worry me--it certainly doesn't sound like it looked like a service dog. And what an unprofessional, rude bitch!

About the 2-stick rule...my sister went to urgent care one time and had to get her blood drawn. Keep in mind that it's actually pretty easy to find my sister's veins and get blood from her. The nurse tried: I think twice on each arm, once on each hand, and maybe even another spot without having it work. She looked like a pincushion. The doctor walked in, took one look, and drew her blood. In one try.

The last time I needed my blood drawn, I was at the ER. The nurse tried...I think once, and then got another nurse. He tried twice. And then they got a lab tech who was like "Damn no wonder everyone's having such a hard time, you're freezing cold! " And got it in one try after warming up my arms with an infant foot warmer. Much better.
    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

In my entire life (and I have grandkids) I have had ONE person find a decent vein in less than 5 attempts. After the 4th try, in the hospital, with me getting hysterical, the nurse's aid I liked best (was in there 3 months) called a supervisor she knew. Lady bet me her entire paycheck, which she had just received she could get the iv in in 1 try. She Did. Turns out Betty was the night supervisor in neonatal. my sneaky runaway veins are nothing compared to the vein in a premature infant.

Comment

I'd definitely complain, that was terribly unprofessional and quite mean. As much as I love dogs, puppies don't belong in a human hospital unless they're assistance dogs (or in-training).

I have horribly small veins, there is only one that is usable for blood draws and it's hiding right next to a tendon. I've lost count of how many times people have put the needle through the vein, into the tendon or have had to dig around and/or try again. Since I've had so many tests done, I politely tell the nurse/doctor/phlebotomist what set-up to use, just because its easier. (23 gauge with a butterfly) There is only one person that has found the vein, in one go, with an 18 gauge needle. He was a phlebotomist that moonlighted as my school's bus driver, really lovely bloke.
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I have small veins, too. After a number of horribly unpleasant experiences, I now just tell them they need to use the one in the back of my hand, and I need to be lying down while they do it. I also talk about something completely unrelated while they do it to keep my mind off the pain, because it still hurts. Sometimes I get a little faint, might as well be flat on my back for that. I've had a few nurses and aides who were very good at this, though.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I uses to think it impossible for anybody to miss my veins. After a stint with the military (they draw a lot of blood) my veins learned to behave. Even beginners normally could get my vein in one shot. I was wrong.

Now my record for attempts is small..only 10 tries..but the first guy who tried got so frustrated after the 4th attempt I guess he thought that only by driving the needle through my arm would he get it. He never quite succeeded in getting the needle through my arm, but eventually he did get the vein.

Sorry STS..yeah I agree with everybody..complain
            Last edited by Mytical; 01-14-2011, 09:39 AM.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I had surgery last year (again) and warned them that I have always had problems having needles/IV's put in. True enough - she couldn't do it and had to call in the experts.

Still took a few stabs to get the IV needle in, but she got it in and walked away.

I'm sitting there all nice and cozy in my blanket waiting to go into surgery and after about 10 minutes, noticed that although she had put in the needle, she'd totally neglected to actually connect the IV to the needle!

Fortunately, I did and had another nurse hook me up properly, but they made me wait another 20 minutes before they would take me into surgery. Not sure why - it's just saline, isn't it or is a hydration thing?

I think of all these questions after my surgeries, but can never remember them when it comes time for the damn things

I have frequent blood tests done and always request the same sweet lady at my local clinic. Have been going to her for years. Once, when she was on vacation, I had another one try it and it was a total no-go. Had to wait for my regular one to come back.
              No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

I'm with the rest: write up a complaint. Whether or not the person was having a bad day or was just sucky, she's a liability to the office.
                Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Complain. If you don't hear back, follow up.

If the phlebotomist looks hesitant, I tell them to use a butterfly in my hand; I'd rather have the pain than sit through multiple bad sticks.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The weird thing was, she was also the receptionist. I wonder if they are working skeleton crew like I am at my job. But who do I contact?

Comment

Quoth TOLady View Post
                      I'm sitting there all nice and cozy in my blanket waiting to go into surgery and after about 10 minutes, noticed that although she had put in the needle, she'd totally neglected to actually connect the IV to the needle!

Fortunately, I did and had another nurse hook me up properly, but they made me wait another 20 minutes before they would take me into surgery. Not sure why - it's just saline, isn't it or is a hydration thing?
                      It could be hydration, but it also could be antibiotics or sedatives. It depends on the surgery, the doctor, your pre-op bloodwork---all kinds of things.

I know I usually get Ringer's instead of normal saline, and I also usually get pumped full of vancomycin due to a history of MRSA in the household.

And is sux that I have to say "usually" as the connotation is that I'm no stranger to surgeries.
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                        It could be hydration, but it also could be antibiotics or sedatives. It depends on the surgery, the doctor, your pre-op bloodwork---all kinds of things.

I know I usually get Ringer's instead of normal saline, and I also usually get pumped full of vancomycin due to a history of MRSA in the household.

And is sux that I have to say "usually" as the connotation is that I'm no stranger to surgeries.
                        The delay for TO Lady could simply have been that the OR team wasn't ready yet. They may also have wanted to be sure the line was still functional, and hadn't clotted off.

Ringer's Solution, Lactated Ringers and Normal Saline are all isotonic solutions: the solution stays in the circulatory system to maintain volume rather than going into the cells or coming out of the cells. Any is appropriate, and the choice is often the surgeon's preference. Ringers and Lactated Ringers contain some extra electrolytes that Normal Saline does not.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                          The weird thing was, she was also the receptionist. I wonder if they are working skeleton crew like I am at my job. But who do I contact?
                          It shouldn't be too hard to find out who runs the lab. If it's like my doctor's office, it's run by the hospital they're affiliated with.
                          Random conversation:
                          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Okay, first, from a person who is absolutely pass-out-on-the-floor-after-hyperventilating TERRIFIED of needles, I am so sorry you had to put up with that bitch! There is no excuse for the way she treated you. I'm hyperventilating just thinking about the whole thing.

Report her to whoever you can find that's in charge of that place. I had one phlebotomist start mocking me because I was hyperventilating: he came >< close to have my foot quite literally up his ass right there in the drawing room.

Oh, and did she use a new needle for each stick? If she didn't (and Panacea should be able to back this up), she was breaking sterile procedures. 1 needle, 1 stick. I've had one lab go through three needles before finally getting it right on the fourth try, with a fourth needle. Infection control is a must.

Yes, there are smaller needles! I've had so many blood draws over the years that my veins in the crook of my elbow are pretty scarred up (you an me, Mytical, military target practice!). The veins are easy to see, but it can be tough to get through the scar tissue. The various labs I've gone to have recommended cycling through different draw sites to allow some of the old scars to fade and keep from building up new scar tissue. When they draw from the backs of my hands, they use this tiny little needle with tubing attached to it (help me out here, Panacea: a butterfly?). It's like getting stuck with a splinter, and they've used them on my wrists, too. They don't usually volunteer them, but if you ask for them (either specifically or for a smaller needle) they should offer it up as an option. Fair warning, the smaller the gauge needle, the longer the blood draw takes, so it has a trade-off.

About the service dog, Sheshat is right, but there is a caveat: service dogs in training are required by law in the US to be identified as such to the general public and does not have the same protections about being allowed places as a fully-trained service dog. My own girl is off her training right now after months of being pampered over her broken leg, so I haven't taken her out anywhere. If I did I would have to mark her as "in training" again until her behavior is up to speed. As there is no way possible for a puppy to be a fully trained service dog, it should have been wearing a vest or collar or something that you would have been able to clearly see. It is also *only* allowed into public areas when necessary in the due course of its job and *only* when accompanied by its trainer or the handicapped person it is assisting. No handicapped person, no dog, simple as that. Even if they try to say that it's a therapy dog, it doesn't belong there: therapy dogs don't have the same rights and protections as service dogs and can be denied access to public places. I have a service dog, and I would raise a shit fit if I saw someone take a puppy into a sterile are where blood is drawn... it has no excuse to be there. /

Okay, I'm going to go in the corner and breathe into a paper bag now.
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                              Oh, and did she use a new needle for each stick? If she didn't (and Panacea should be able to back this up), she was breaking sterile procedures.
                              EE is right. One needle, one stick. The reason isn't just about sterile technique. Each time a needle pierces something, it is dulled. Dull needles hurt more than sharp needles.

Good hand washing is really important. Never hesitate to ask a provider to wash their hands.

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                              Yes, there are smaller needles! <snip> Fair warning, the smaller the gauge needle, the longer the blood draw takes, so it has a trade-off.
                              I didn't address this earlier since I don't know what size was used. The tech may have used the smallest gauge typically used: a 25g. I don't like 25g because it is harder to get the sample, making the procedure take longer, and increasing the risk of hemolysis (damage to the blood cells) that can throw off results . . . meaning you have to get stuck again.

I want to point out, the size of the needle actually has little to do with the discomfort a patient may feel. It depends a LOT on the skill and technique of the practitioner. There are several different types of equipment that can be used painlessly. So called "butterfly needles" allow a greater control in some situations, and can free up the hands in difficult cases. I actually prefer not to use butterfly needles. I prefer a 20g needle attached to a syringe because there is less risk of hemolysis of the blood, that can throw off lab results. Even larger needles can be used painlessly in the hands of a skilled person.

Scar tissue in the veins can make blood draws more difficult and painful. Heat to the site can make veins more prominent, and easier to stick. EMLA cream can numb the site. Benzodiazapenes like Ativan can calm the person being stuck.

Courtesy and empathy can also calm an anxious patient, which does not seem to have happened in this case.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Since I've been on Metformin, I have to get bloodwork done every 3 months (my doc likes to keep a strict eye on me).

I always ask if I can drink water in the morning (besides which I have a med I have to take around the same time every day).

I've always been told that it's a fasting test, but I can drink as much water as I want.

I drink at least 32 ounces of water before I leave the house and then drink at least another 8 - 16 ounces in the car.

I've played the pin cushion before. I've also been told pediatric needles need to be used on me as my veins like to hide, roll, are too small, whatever.

The only people who have been consistently able to find my veins are those in my doc's office & the ones at Quest Diagnosis.

I highly, highly, highly recommend for next time ('cos there is always a next time) to see if you can drink water. And if you can, drink lots and lots and lots of it.

It does work for me.

It might for you too.

Comment

Working...
                                X