Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some people need to not drink, and/or stay the hell home!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people need to not drink, and/or stay the hell home!

I was going to title this one "Instant asshole, just add alcohol!" Then I realized I already used this title a couple years ago.

Some of you who have me on Facebook may have seen a status message similar to the title of this thread. If you were wondering what that was all about, I'm about to tell you...

A lot of people know I like to go out to bars and do karaoke. And people tell me I "kick ass", and I "should be in a band." Maybe someday...

I've also dealt with quite a few drunks (and sometimes I've been one of them, but that's a different story.) Most of the drunks aren't too difficult to deal with. Most of them are happy, friendly drunks, even if some are a bit annoying or even weird. But I was not prepared for what happened last Friday night.

I went out to one of my regular hangouts with my one friend. Sometimes her husband comes with us, but he was sick that night, and told us to go on without him. We had both put in some song requests and were sitting at our table waiting to sing. I had just finished my first beer and gone back to the bar for another, when some guy approached me. Before he even spoke, I just got some weird vibe from him.

"You better not do to me tonight what you did last week!", he told me.

I had no idea what he was talking about, and I told him that.

"You just think you're the shit because you sing Ozzy! I'm tired of you sitting there looking all pissed off when I'm up there singing!"

At that point I remembered him. I'm terrible with names and faces, but as soon as he said that, I remembered that another time or two, he'd go up and sing, and then he'd come back and ask me, "Are you mad at me?"

I told him no, I didn't even know him. He told me, "Well, you looked pissed off when I was up there singing!" I told him no, that's just the way I look. He kind of rambled for a bit after that, but eventually walked away, leaving me feeling all weirded out. But I never felt threatened by him before this time. I later found out he had confronted my friend the other week, telling her, "I always clap for you when you're singing, but you never clap for me!" If she didn't, she was probably deep in a conversation. I know I normally clap for people, but if I'm talking to someone it might slip my mind.

Then he told me, "When I'm up singing, don't even look at me! In fact, don't even be in here, just go outside!"

I started to walk away, and he told me, "I mean it! If you look at me like that again when I'm up singing, you and me are going outside!"

I just told him, "No thanks", and started to walk away again. He rambled some more, and I just said, "Whatever" and walked back to my table with my friend.

He followed me and told me, "No, not 'whatever', you listen to me!" I kind of tuned him out at that point, so I'm not sure what he said next, but he caught my friend's attention, and as soon as she knew something was up, she stood up and stared right at him. He just looked at her and asked, "Who the hell are you?"

She looked back at him and told him, "You don't want to know who I am!" She wasn't just making idle threats. She's a big girl, who's worked as a truck driver, and also worked concert security. I also saw her physically throw a guy out of another bar after he groped her and then insulted her over her weight. And while I didn't actually see this one, I know she beat the shit out of another guy who made threatening remarks about me. She has her faults, but she's very protective of her friends.

The idiot and my friend went back and forth a few times, and then some other lady went up to him and told him to "knock it off", and tried to get him to come back to the bar. I'm guessing that was his wife. She has my deepest sympathy if she was.

Shortly after that, he went over and started spouting off to the DJ. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I know the DJ wasn't going to take his side. He's also a good friend of mine, and I've been going to his karaoke shows for almost 15 years now. He even DJ'ed for me and my wife at our wedding. Then he walked away from the DJ looking even more pissed off, and as he walked past me, he told me, "...and fuck you too!" I watched home go back to the bar, thankfully, the opposite end of it, while the DJ went behind the bar and started talking to one of the bartenders. Then the bartender came back with him and they talked some more. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but they must have been talking about what just happened, because I saw him point in my direction. Then the bartender went back to the bar.

Naturally, I was freaked out at this point, and my friend was as well. She went outside and called her husband, told him what had happened, and told him to "get down here now!" He was willing to come if he had to, but he told her to wait five minutes, and if he was still causing problems, to call him back. Her husband is a big guy, and a former marine and sharpshooter. Not someone you'd ever want to piss off. And like his wife, he has my back.

I was growing more and more uncomfortable, and really didn't want to be there if he was. I looked around again, and couldn't see him anymore. That made me even more uncomfortable. I didn't know if he was gone, or if he was still in there somewhere getting ready to confront me again, or even worse. My friend noticed this, and got up and told me she'd be right back.

At this point, I was about to tell them what happened and tell them, "Either he leaves or I do." I'm one of their regulars who tips well and never causes any trouble, and like most people, the like my singing. Turned out, I didn't have to. My friend came back and told me, "They kicked him out." I guess my friend the DJ brought it to their attention as soon as he found out what was going on. It's nice to know so many people have my back. Apparently they were afraid I was going to leave, because they were really nice to me the rest of the night. They happened to be at a part of the bar that was by my table when I finished one of my beers, and when I started to get up, they said, "You need another one, Mike? You don't have to get up, I'll bring it over."

At the end of the night, somewhere between "Last call" and "Everybody out", my friend and I were talking to the DJ and the bartenders. The DJ said the guy was "like a fucking child", and the bartenders said that wasn't the first time he had acted that way. My friend told the one bartender she wanted to punch the guy, and she just chuckled and told her, "I wish you would have!"

I'm a little worried about going back there next week. If he's there again, he's probably going to be pissed at me for "getting him kicked out."
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Hopefully the bar banned him...or at least banned him from karaoke, since he was being such an ass about it.

Comment

I think if he starts his crap again, they'll call the police. This place doesn't sound like one that coddles idiots who abuse good customers.

I don't blame you for being worried, though, who knows what this jackass might do. But it sounds like you've got a good supply of friends and allies guarding your back.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I`m the lucky one to have a friend like Mike. I`ll always be here for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Quoth twiztid View Post
          I`m the lucky one to have a friend like Mike. I`ll always be here for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Ladies and gentlemen of CS, I'd like to introduce my ass-kicking friend.

Comment

Hi twiztid! Thanks for looking out for our Mike!

I wouldn't be too worried about that ass, he's probably not welcome there anymore!
            Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Quoth Rantsylvania 6-5000 View Post
              Hi twiztid! Thanks for looking out for our Mike!

I wouldn't be too worried about that ass, he's probably not welcome there anymore!
              Thanks
              thats what friends are for

Comment

Welcome, Twitzid!
                The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

The bar I used to do Karaoke at was fairly drama-free, but we'd get a random drunk asshole in every few months or so. Nothing quite as bad as this, but MAN! My favorite were the two drunk Mexicans (I assume they were because they kept randomly yelling "Mexicano" all night) who kept trying to dance with everyone while they were singing and getting mad when we kept refusing. The drunker they got, the more aggressive they got. The Baltimore cops that came in for a burger eventually kicked them out.
                  "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Geez, some people need to cool down. If you're having that much personal drama over Kareoke, you need to re-examine your priorities in life. It reminds me of some of the folks online who flip out if you're character isn't kitted out to their ideal.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well, he wasn't there last Friday, which kind of makes for an anti-climax to this story. Yeah, I could have made something up about how he got in my face again, and this time took a swing at me, and I kicked his ass and then the cops took him away and discovered he had been carrying a weapon and had a zillion warrants for his arrest, and the whole bar cheered me on and bought me drinks all night, but seriously, who wants to come in here and read a bunch of obvious bullshit stories?

But seriously, this might not be the end of the story. I asked if they'd seen him, hoping to hear that they barred him for life, but apparently not. So I could run into him again. If he had come out and started shit this time, it would have been the last mistake he'd ever make. My friend's ex-marine husband came along this time, and he would have put him thru the wall. And I have another group of friends that comes out every other Friday (this being one of them), and the guy in the group would have had no reservations about kicking his ass.

About the only thing we had to deal with was the table full of immature twenty-somethings next to us (btw I'm not saying all people in that age group are immature, just this group) who got all obnoxious and kept yelling "LOUDER!" to my one friend when she was up trying to sing, and got her all flustered. When she got up again, I stood in front of her so she couldn't see them. She said it helped. Thankfully, they didn't stick around.

When we were leaving, there were two cars parked by the curb, and the occupants of both vehicles were acting like they wanted to fight each other. But we didn't stick around for that. It was cold out, and we already had our fill of stupidity that night.

Comment

Working...
                      X