This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's your gift to give but...

Has a lady yesterday bring up 4 gift cards for restaurants and put $50 on each. I didn't think much of it until she makes the comment saying that her son and his wife just moved into a new house and won't have money to go out to dinner that much.

Now I wasn't really brought up in a family that went out to eat. That was for special occasions. Even fast food was out of the norm. Even as an adult I don't go out much. But personally if I was going to spend $200 for a new homeowner I'd probably buy Home Depot/Bed Bath and Beyond (that's two my store carries) gift cards because even if you're just moving house to house the new place will always need something. Even if it's just some new paint or sheets.

But ya know, it's your money and your gift so you do you, lady. Hope they enjoy the meals.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

If their new digs need work restaurant gift cards can come in handy as they will probably be too tired to cook.
    Last edited by taxguykarl; 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeah, it's like buying $250 worth of groceries. Getting all that takes time and energy, and you don't feel like cooking at the end.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Yeah, I guess that all makes sense but I guess I'm just more practical with my gifts. Going out to dinner just isn't that big of a thing to me.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I don't know if Just Eat do gift vouchers, but I'd be more inclined to buy them than restaurant gift vouchers. After all, with Just Eat you can flop down and order after a long day of decorating, whereas with restaurant vouchers you have to go to the effort of getting washed and dressed and being a certain level of presentable depending on the restaurant. More effort than you need after a long day.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Not me. I adore eating out. Cooking at home doesn't make me happy because I'm alone, so it's rather a waste. There's no significant difference between buying up all the ingredients and spending an hour in the kitchen or enjoying myself at a fast food place in terms of money.

Yes, I'm not homeless any longer. I found a room to rent last week. Such a relief, and sorry to threadjack.

But yes, if you're busy fixing up the house, cooking is just flat out, as you just plain haven't got the energy. Or you need a treat.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I do a mix of both. I cook at home and we eat out twice a week. We always go to the same places on Saturday and Sunday.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

A friend's mom gave me gift cards to the 99 Restaurant. You'd be surprise how filling their lunch specials can be.
                Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

This reminds me of one day back when I was working in a lunch restaurant and a woman came in with her grown up son that just started on his X-job near by wanting to buy lunch coupons (which we didn’t have) so that she could be sure that he had at least one cooked meal every day.
                  When me (the lowly kitchenslave with head for numbers) and cashier trying to figure out how to help the very polite lady, she told us that her son was a mess in the kitchen and would live only on microwave dinners if she didn’t get him food coupons around the city.
                  The guy didn’t even blink when he confirmed that he almost burned down a kitchen making egg and bacon but he was a wiz in the lab (thinking back he had a few telltale signs of autism/aspergers) and he liked the smell of the food in our dining hall.

The end result was a special gift card with 20 lunches with precalculated checkboxes for each lunch counting down to zero money left.
                  I heard that he came in regularly during his stay in the city and I saw him with his mom having Christmas lunch at our place.

I think that getting a grownup kid food coupons is a better way to make sure they eat something warm each day better then what I have seen some parents do when their kid moves in a student hallway and that is fill up the freezer with homemade food boxes for the next three months. My friend who shared freezer space with one of them never had any room for his stuff after the family had been visiting, and he ended tossing parts of them out due to freeze burns the days before the next visit.

Comment

Working...
                  X