This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Cat View Post
    It's amazing how with in six years of hiking, I've gone from a warm climate gal to cold climate I finally grew my hair to mid-back....this heat is making me want to hack it all off.
    Don't do it! You'll regret it. I finally got mine to mid-back and I'm going for tailbone. I did 2 french braids yesterday and it was cute.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I just roll mine up into a pile and pin it down with a hair fork. It's thick, it's dark, and it's long. It's like a black wool cape. I'm mostly used to it, but this thick wet air is making it stick to me and it's not fun. My hair really gets this weird texture in this kind of weather. It's like the hair shafts become...I dunno how to describe it...almost like they're velcro or something and they grab onto each other like they're magnetic. It's hard to comb through.

I remember we all went river running some years back and it was hot and rainy off and on and me and G, who also had waist length hair, decided the ponytails we were sporting were not cutting it. So we decided to braid each other's hair.

His hair is the about the same texture as mine and it was like trying to braid strands of glue. It stuck to itself and to my hands so bad I couldn't braid it. He couldn't braid mine, either. We just wet it down, twisted it tight as it would go, tied it, and hoped for the best. It was so sticky it held.

Anybody else have that happen in high humidity?

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
        What part of the Black Hills? I live in Rapid, I love it because the weather is actually pretty good in the city. We can get in the 100's but it usually does not last for a long period of time and the winters are pretty tame except for the occasional blizzard or two. Now in the Northern Hills, especially in Lead, Deadwood and Spearfish, they get dumped on with some serious snow! Eastern SD and the Plains can really get dumped on and extreme cold. There is more humidity in the Eastern part of SD and the Badlands and middle of the state around Pierre is usually the hottest. So I feel lucky to live in the "banana belt". I do agree about the winds! Holy cow it can sure get windy here!
        I might be remembering the extremes... but I had to go to school like around 7:30 in the mornings most times, and it was still cold. . I used to live in a subdivision on 79 on the way out of Rapid City. Were you there ~2000, when there was that blizzard in April that dumped like six feet of snow?
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
          I might be remembering the extremes... but I had to go to school like around 7:30 in the mornings most times, and it was still cold. . I used to live in a subdivision on 79 on the way out of Rapid City. Were you there ~2000, when there was that blizzard in April that dumped like six feet of snow?
          Yep!! It was April 18th and 19th to be exact!!! I remember because it was the 1st blizzard my man and I experienced together and it was payday and our store was closed so I could not get my check, I got my car stuck in the middle of my complex (I lived and still live behind Meadowood Lanes) and the entrance to our complex was drifted shut with huge ass drifts. We were running out of smokes so we hiked to Mini-Mart to get smokes!! It was extremely interesting to say the least! Heck I have become used to the spring blizzards they usually happen like clockwork but the last two springs we have not had one. Three years ago we had three or four blizzards every weekend in March, that was memorable because I missed so much school as I had Monday night classes and they had cancelled them due to blizzards so it put us behind alot! I have lived in SD for most of my life--early years in Eastern SD, near Sioux Falls and I have been here in the Hills since 1983, one year in Spearfish and the rest in Rapid. I would still prefer the weather in Western SD than Eastern any day!!
          Last edited by jnd4rusty; 07-23-2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Really the only thing keeping me from hacking off my hair is the fact I'd want to cut it myself, and I am not that talented. Been putting layers in, that's pretty easy, but cutting it short would be rather difficult.

My hair does the velcro thing as well...
            "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
            "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
              For those who think we Canadians live in a chilly tundra
              I have a friend who grew up in Connecticut...she's had people think the same thing...

I've been staying at my parents' house. I stayed Tuesday night because they recaulked my bathtub and I didn't want to use it Wednesday so it would have ample time to dry (even though the super's note said I could, but it's been so damn humid I decided not to). My roommate has been in Virginia since Monday, so no one's been in my apartment. There are windows open but no fans going. Wednesday night I went over at 8pm to get some things and it was 91 inside, and last night I went over after work to check the mail and it was 97. I turned on the air in the living room while I was there but it didn't make much of a dent before I left.

Quoth TowelKing
              She drowned in an igloo fire.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh...hair. Mine's just above my shoulders, but it's so thick and heavy. Ugh. It's been so hot that I haven't wanted to run a hair dryer, so I've just been wearing it curly. Not my favorite look, but it saves a lot of time and electricity. I'd chop it off, but I want it to be a bit longer than this for the wedding....
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I used to french braid mine when I was younger, pigtail it, cross it over in the back and pin it into a flat loop at the nape of my neck. Very neat, very cool.

I dunno if you can pull off cornrows, that's a pretty good style for getting it out of your way, too.

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
                    Yep!! It was April 18th and 19th to be exact!!! I remember because it was the 1st blizzard my man and I experienced together and it was payday and our store was closed so I could not get my check, I got my car stuck in the middle of my complex (I lived and still live behind Meadowood Lanes) and the entrance to our complex was drifted shut with huge ass drifts. ........
                    I have lived in SD for most of my life--early years in Eastern SD, near Sioux Falls and I have been here in the Hills since 1983, one year in Spearfish and the rest in Rapid. I would still prefer the weather in Western SD than Eastern any day!!
                    at least you lived in town, and it melted by Monday. I was so so sad. It drifted over our two-story+split level house (and the others in our subdivision). Weather out on the 'wastes' of the rolling plains stinks.
                    I remember when I was walking out near the base, where it's more Plains-like, and I fell in up to my hips in snow-- I had walked off a mini-hill. Fun, but scary.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Don't do it! You'll regret it. I finally got mine to mid-back and I'm going for tailbone. I did 2 french braids yesterday and it was cute.
                      I agree with this- don't hack it off!

I got a hair cut about 3 weeks ago, and I've been regretting it ever since. I have decided that people who say "Oh, you got your hair cut! That's nice for summer, isn't it?" don't know what they're talking about.

It seems like it would be nicer, but unless you (general you) shave your head or get a pixie haircut, all you're doing is cutting it short enough to make it near impossible to put up when it gets super hot. Which means that it's extra uncomfortable and sweaty when it sticks to your neck.

Yes, I am missing my hair, why do you ask?

Comment

It's times like this I love the fact that I keep my hair short. If it touches my neck it's almost too long. Yeah I sometime look androgynous but I can deal with that.
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I was outside during the hottest part of the day today.

Since this thread reminded me of it, I wore my hair in french braid pigtails. It felt awesome. No hair glued to the nape of my neck, no thick ponytail hanging down my back, no itchy hot bun underneath my hat.

I threw back a couple shots of tequilla and did some artsy type painting. It was actually pretty pleasant. When it's a hundred something degrees and it's actually COOLER than it was yesterday, it's a screwed up situation.

At about seven we had boat drinks, got loaded, and went swimming. By then, I needed that.

Comment

I wish I could braid my own hair.
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My hair doesn't do the velcro thing; it does the sponge thing. It's curly, so it gets thicker and more tightly curled. Wore it in two french braids again today (the only "up" style that doesn't give me a headache), and got a lot of "your braids are cute!" I thought I was too old to get away with it....
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I thought I'm a little old to sport the "pigtails" look, but one of the guys said I looked like a Native with my hair like that. Actually, thought I looked kind of folky with my river hat and John Denver glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                X