This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go in to apply, leave screaming in horror

Of the dozens and dozens of places I've applied over the years, one place really stood out as a place where I'm glad I didn't get hired.

I was out job hunting and went to a department store in the mall. It was part of a big chain I'm sure you've heard of. I walked in and decided to find the office to apply for a job. I had to ask two employees where the office was, because the first didn't even know!

So, I step into the office. This is summer of 2003. The place looked like a grimy anachronism.

The entire place was dingy and reeked of tobacco smoke, with all the surfaces feeling grimy like they are covered in cigarette tar. A tattered dot-matrix-printer banner hung over the back wall with some slogan on it. The secretary looked practically mummified she was so ancient and withered. She had an electric typewriter on her desk and a computer that still had a 5 1/4 floppy drive on it that was running Windows 3.1! Several items around the office had fake chrome/brass finishes that had worn off around the edges exposing the cheap plastic beneath them.

The calendar on the wall was from 1999 (4 years ago!), and grimy and torn memos tacked up talked about office parties from several years past. It was clear nothing was ever taken down here. The entire place seemed dingy and run down, and every piece of office equipment looked at least a decade old, if not much older.

I ask about a job, and the secretary gestures for me to apply at the computer over in the corner. In a side alcove of the office was a desk and a beat-up computer of the same vintage she had on her desk. I sit down at it, and it's got a 5 1/4 floppy, running Windows 3.1 with plain VGA graphics, and to apply to a job I click on the icon which starts Netscape 1.1 (Summer of 2003, remember).

I start to fill out the application, but I pause when I get to the part where I have to enter my SSN. I notice that it is not a secure connection, no HTTPS protocol in use. I tell the secretary that this is not secure and I am concerned about putting my SSN and other vital data over an unencrypted connection.

In her raspy voice she tells me that's the application, and only people at the home office look at it so it's as secure as it gets.

I take a long look around the place and realize just how bad the place feels and think about what it would be like to work for a place like this. As I'm doing this, the computer gives me a Blue Screen of Death and crashes. When it reboots, it gets stuck rebooting and gave some archaic error messages.

The secretary says she'll have to put in a request to corporate for them to contact a "repairman" and send one out. She tells me that in a couple of weeks the should have that computer up and running again if I want to come back and apply then.

I get up, and leave quickly making a point to never even think of working there ever again.

Close call. That was a portal to the Dibertverse.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sounds rather typical of a business nowadays to me. The technology would be updated, but I'm afraid nothing else would.

Oh yes, no more cigarette residue. Which means increased stress.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth silverstaff View Post
        that's the application, and only people at the home office look at it so it's as secure as it gets.
        I can't tell you how many times I've heard that excuse...for both digital and paper stuff.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Sounds like going to apply at my present job! Except we never have parties, so there are no past memos of having any parties.

Comment

The temp agency I used to work for was like that. The owner opened the franchise in 1978 and it was almost like he was stuck in that year. There were computers, but they all ran Windows 95 (except one that ran Windows for Workgroups - and that was the PAYROLL computer!), and the only one connected to the internet was the owner's, mainly so he could get and send e-mail. It was pretty sad. The owner was such a nice man, though...it was just that he was afraid of change. He finally sold the place close to 30 years after he opened it and the new owner immediately upgraded everything, but I didn't work for them too long after that and I don't even know if the office is still open.
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I worked for a temp agency once in 2005 that didn't have the ability to set up direct deposit. All paper. Pain in the ass.

Comment

And I thought I've seen the worst when I took over my company... I mean NT4 and Exchange 5.5 in 2005... Guess what I did first...
                No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                  And I thought I've seen the worst when I took over my company... I mean NT4 and Exchange 5.5 in 2005... Guess what I did first...
                  Fired the whole IT department?

Torched all of the computers in a roll-off dumpster in a parking lot?

Put on a medical mask and dusted them?

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    Fired the whole IT department?
                    Nah... the poor guy had been suffering most... He was quite happy to give me his wish list.

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    Torched all of the computers in a roll-off dumpster in a parking lot?
                    Nope, we gave them to a local school, they made 50 computers into 30 privately usable computers to give to the students.
                    Torching would have been fun, though.

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    Put on a medical mask and dusted them?
                    I somehow expected Dust Puppy to emerge from the servers...

The hardest part was to figure out what we really needed. We ended up with a mixture of Windows Servers (2003/2008), Windows XP and 7 Workstations and a highly customized opensource ERP/CRM system on Linux.
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Lmao. I worked for an office that hired me immediately - always a bad sign - and it sounded just like the one you described! I gave my d.l for the lady to copy and the copier looked like something someone donated to a thrift store. In fact, it was a thrift store, so probably they WERE using a donation! LOL. I was so desperate for a job then....but not that desperate! I regretted giving my info to them, but the copies they made were so illegible I was lucky.
                      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Wow, all that together at once - I think you may have discovered a portal back into the early 1990s. I thought it was bad at my old call center job that we didn't even have Windows - we had word processors.

Comment

I kept picturing one of the nightmare scenes from "9 to 5" from your description. I remember walking in to Service Merchandise and feeling sad for the people that had to use the old monochrome cash registers that looked like they were from the early 80's. I don't mean the 8088's or the 1880's, I mean the 1980's.

Comment

Working...
                          X