Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually from what I hear a lot of people do use X-Boxen as media players. Kodi was formerly known as X-Box Media Center after all. I prefer a media player that can read my already-existing CIFS shares though, rather than relying on a central sever daemon running on one pc... such beasts are rare in the wild though. Most rely on DLNA, facts which I could rant about at length, but this is the wrong board.

Also do you have this on it yet Eric? http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
      Keep in mind that this was the company that "thought" people would gleefully embrace the XBONE with mandatory Kinect (which was only ever a niche product anyway) for $100 more, permanent-online connectivity (it phones home a lot, too), and the recent inexplicable effort to dilute game consoles' entire primary purpose by trying to turn them into multimedia/set-top boxes. People buy the things to PLAY GAMES, guys...
      Ah yes, the backlash was glorious, especially when people realized that their "system demos" at the E3 that year was actually coming from high end PC's. And of course the "don't like it, play the 360" comments.

Clearly common sense is a commodity more precious than diamond at Microsoft.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

• Thanks for the Shutup10 link. I'll have to remember that when I do eventually upgrade.

Quoth EricKei View Post
        and the recent inexplicable effort to dilute game consoles' entire primary purpose by trying to turn them into multimedia/set-top boxes. People buy the things to PLAY GAMES, guys...
        My parents actually use their PS3 for Blu-rays and Netflix and occasionally YouTube, and only those. The only people who play games on that machine are their children and grandchildren when we happen to visit and want to play something.

My PS3 has become our default DVD player since we moved and opted not to bring our decade-old-and-nearly-dead DVD/VHS combo with us. I do still play games on it, though, since that's what I originally bought it for.

It's funny because when we were shopping for a replacement TV after moving (to replace the similarly-old CRT television that also didn't move with us), my mom actually said to make sure we got a smart tv so we could use Netflix and YouTube and stuff. I had to point out to her that she didn't use her smart tv for that, since she did all of that through her PS3. Her response? "Oh yeah...."
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

• I'd not heard of shutup10 before. Snagging it now. Thanks!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X