Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

....you do realize the lake is covered in ice, right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....you do realize the lake is covered in ice, right?

aka: Where have you been?

I am down working the desk for one day, as my boss is sick. He refuses to take the day off, but I get sent there by his wife (and my other boss) to try and at least take off some of his duties. I get a call for winterization.

For those not 'in-the-know' winterization is typically done BEFORE winter. We take your boat, do a lot of fancy stuff, and then your boat doesn't implode during the winter. (It's not quite like that, but it does help prevent mice from using your motor as a nest, your battery from dying, your gas lines from rotting prematurely, ect.)

SC: What do you charge for shrinkwrap?
    Me: Hang on, I got a form for that. What kind of boat do you have?
    SC: Pontoon.
    Me: $xxx.
    SC: THAT much? Are you kidding me?
    Me: No, I am not.
    SC: I'll-just-tarp-it-bye!
    Me:....

Also for reference:
    Tarp= throwing something over the boat
    Shrinkwrap: It's like this for your boat.

Note: I probably posted this, but the whole 'mice nest in the engine' thing has happened, and it means your engine is gone. We had one of our customers, known as the pharmacist, (no points as to why she's called that) call us repeatedly after we discovered that her motor had a nest in it, asking us to fix it. We kept telling her to get a new motor, but she still wanted us to do the complete wire-work it would take to fix it.

As a classic car owner, I've seen the damage that mice can do to vehicles. Not mine, of course--it's in the garage with the windows down, and left uncovered. Otherwise, mice love to nest in (and eat) upholstery, wiring, hoses, and anything else they can find. Air cleaners, as well as right on top of the engine, are favorite nesting spots. Cleaning up and repairs after an infestation like that can easily run into thousands of dollars
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

So have you started the pool as to what date early next spring this person is going to come wailing to you about all the damage that's been done to the boat and how you just gotta fix it FIX IT FIXITFIXITFIXIT?!?!

Not to threadjack, but protege, why is it a good idea to leave the windows down? Wouldn't that just invite a lot of unwanted tenants in?

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
        Not to threadjack, but protege, why is it a good idea to leave the windows down? Wouldn't that just invite a lot of unwanted tenants in?
        Mice want out of the wind/cold-open windows won't block anything.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Of course ...

*skulks off in embarrassment*

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            Of course ...

*skulks off in embarrassment*
            Don't be embarrassed. I was wondering the same thing.
            You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              Mice want out of the wind/cold-open windows won't block anything.
              Which is why when I was collecting beer cans & bottles from the roadside borrow pits full of water a lot of them would have drowned mice and their nests in them.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                We kept telling her to get a new motor, but she still wanted us to do the complete wire-work it would take to fix it.
                Would I be correct in assuming that a complete re-wire would cost significantly more than just buying a new (and, by that point, better) motor?
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

i imagine that fixing the engine is more expensive than getting a new one? or close to the same price at least?

Comment

Way more expensive, and frustrating. They'd have to essentially dismantle the motor, find all the wires that were problems, and then, I imagine most of the wires would have had to be replaced.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Would I be correct in assuming that a complete re-wire would cost significantly more than just buying a new (and, by that point, better) motor?
                      Well I don't know. Just going by what they called her, and assuming she's not the kind of pharmacist that has a license like mine, she may have a powerfully souped up motor in that boat (in case the DEA, Coast Guard or whoever takes an interest in her cargo) that might not look at first glance like it's that fast, unless you happened to notice the larger screws /propellers (thank you Matt Helm for that tidbit). Such would represent a considerable investment already. In such a case, maybe it really would be better to repair than replace.

Comment

You're correct that she has no license, but it's highly unlikely she runs out of her boat, considering that there aren't a lot of big lakes here. There's about 6 small lakes we service. (The closest lake to is is Lake Michigan, and that's about an hour or two away.)

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                          Note: I probably posted this, but the whole 'mice nest in the engine' thing has happened, and it means your engine is gone. We had one of our customers, known as the pharmacist, (no points as to why she's called that) call us repeatedly after we discovered that her motor had a nest in it, asking us to fix it. We kept telling her to get a new motor, but she still wanted us to do the complete wire-work it would take to fix it.
                          In a case where someone needs to replace their engine, would a switch from gas to diesel be worthwhile? After all, mice are unlikely to set up housekeeping when there's a CAT in the area.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X