Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great news! Glad to hear they came to their senses. Still kind of a stupid game they were playing, though.

Comment

Quoth TheTigress View Post
      Looks like they were trying to test me to see how little they could get away with paying me.... Apparently I am the only artist who will still do business with their cheap @$$es so they really need me.
      Fixed this for you.

Anyone want to start a betting pool as to how long it takes them after you show them the design to nitpick it and insist on changes, then argue that you didn't present them with EXACTLY what they asked for so therefore you should give them a discount? That, or they'll cancel and come back later to try to pick up the same design again, and now that you've already completed the design, they shouldn't have to pay the extra amount, right? You gave them a deal on already-designed art the first time, so this is the same thing now.

Hubby did graphic art for a while, and had a few issues like this. If they're going to try to dicker over every little thing, you're only going to continue to have trouble with them.

I hope you don't, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

You are going to get payment in full before you deliver the goods, right? I hope?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's fixed now. Thanks for letting me know because I might not have caught that.
          I have to say, you're not a good artist....you're a pretty incredible one!

I'm not even into the whole Fur thing and I wants one! (If I had the money, I totally would!)

Plus I have to say, If you end up needing to be non self employee, you'd be a pretty fantastic concept artist for movies or videogames.
          I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            Fixed this for you.

Anyone want to start a betting pool as to how long it takes them after you show them the design to nitpick it and insist on changes, then argue that you didn't present them with EXACTLY what they asked for so therefore you should give them a discount? That, or they'll cancel and come back later to try to pick up the same design again, and now that you've already completed the design, they shouldn't have to pay the extra amount, right? You gave them a deal on already-designed art the first time, so this is the same thing now.

Hubby did graphic art for a while, and had a few issues like this. If they're going to try to dicker over every little thing, you're only going to continue to have trouble with them.

I hope you don't, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
            The cynical side of me is almost expecting this very thing to happen. I can understand minor edits but if it gets to the nit picky stage I'll call the whole thing off. I don't have the patience for that kind of stuff.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            You are going to get payment in full before you deliver the goods, right? I hope?
            I told them I will require half of the payment once the sketch is completed. (I will send them a watermarked and low res preview of the sketch) and then the other half on completion. They will not get the full file (only a low res heavily watermarked version) until I get the rest of my payment.

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
            I have to say, you're not a good artist....you're a pretty incredible one!

I'm not even into the whole Fur thing and I wants one! (If I had the money, I totally would!)

Plus I have to say, If you end up needing to be non self employee, you'd be a pretty fantastic concept artist for movies or videogames.
            Thank you very much! That really means a lot to me. I steer clear of the "Furry culture" and focus only on the art as there are certain groups that take it a bit too far.

I have been too spoiled on self-employment to change that anytime soon. No one owns me and I am aiming to keep it that way for as long as possible. :P
            My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
            My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Since they wanted to add a logo, and they were already a pain in the ass, I think you should have added to the price. Yeah, I know...you said it was really simple. But the original price you quoted them was for the original work requested, sans logo. Now they are adding to the workload, and as such, should receive a new quote. At least, that's my (highly vindictive) opinion on such matters.

I have musicians friends who have dealt with similar, and as a magician, I know I have. I had one lady who wanted me to drive to Marathon (an hour drive each way) and perform for a party, but for only a third of my normal fee at the time. Yes, she wanted me to work for a fraction of my normal price in Key West, AND travel two hours to do it.

I told her very politely that my price was not negotiable (I quoted it to her before I knew that her event was in Marathon), and that if she could find a magician of my ability or better for less, then by all means she should hire them. I never heard from her again.

I also happen to know that there is not a magician in Key West of my ability or better that will work for the price I quoted or less. Small town, small magic community, I know what's out there. I'm good at what I do, and I charge a fair fee, especially when compared to others of my ilk.

Similarly, I've had other people approach me and ask or even suggest that I do their event for free, because I would get such great "exposure." Not all of these suggestions came from charity events, either; sometimes these were private gigs that were trying to get me on the cheap, but because they had "so many friends" or "so many members" of their organization that would be there, it would be worth my while to do it sans fee for the future business I would get.

Uh uh. I've done a few charity events for free, at my choice, and here is a list of ten most lucrative events I booked due to those free shows I did:

The more observant of you will notice that the list is, in fact, completely empty. Let this be a suggestion to any performers, musicians, and similar acts: unless it is on national tv or has an audience in the thousands, never, ever, EVER do shows "for the exposure." The only thing that will be exposed is how they took advantage of you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Let this be a suggestion to any performers, musicians, and similar acts: unless it is on national tv or has an audience in the thousands, never, ever, EVER do shows "for the exposure." The only thing that will be exposed is how they took advantage of you.
                Agreed. I'm a little late to this discussion, but I also wanted to add that I've come across this kind of attitude from people within the theater community as well. They seem to believe that because you do theater because you love it, and not because it's a job you had to take to pay the bills (a "real" job), that you shouldn't be so mercenary as to expect to earn a living wage doing it. If you do, you're a sellout.
                "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

UPDATE!...Shirt design will now commence as previously planned.
                  Good thing I'm in no rush for my artwork <grin>.

Could I get their e-mail address? I'd like to thenk them personally for presenting me with a solution to my problem.

You see, I didn't even know you were an artist and without this story to perk up my curiosity, I wouldn't have slipped over to your site and seen just how good you are and how reasonable your prices are.

I'd love to tell them that they really made my day.

Just joking about the address of course. I don't really want it. But it *would* be damn funny to do that to them.

@edit - "thenk"? Damnit...I'm channeling Pavel Chekov again.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                    Anyone want to start a betting pool as to how long it takes them after you show them the design to nitpick it and insist on changes, then argue that you didn't present them with EXACTLY what they asked for so therefore you should give them a discount?
                    NO ART FOR YOU

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                      Good thing I'm in no rush for my artwork <grin>.

Could I get their e-mail address? I'd like to thenk them personally for presenting me with a solution to my problem.

You see, I didn't even know you were an artist and without this story to perk up my curiosity, I wouldn't have slipped over to your site and seen just how good you are and how reasonable your prices are.

I'd love to tell them that they really made my day.

Just joking about the address of course. I don't really want it. But it *would* be damn funny to do that to them.

@edit - "thenk"? Damnit...I'm channeling Pavel Chekov again.
                      That would be hilarious to send! I'm really thankful that you think so highly of my work because it gives me more business.

I'm glad to hear that you're not in a huge hurry because that shirt design just upped my workload by quite a bit. Secretly I was almost hoping they were going to find someone else because I have this feeling they might be the picky sort, and I had just gotten several new commissions during same time I posted this thread. I have decided, however, that this shirt design will be the last thing I make for this group because I don't like the feeling of being under pressure that they give me.

Quoth CatsLairArchives View Post
                      NO ART FOR YOU

My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                      My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Let this be a suggestion to any performers, musicians, and similar acts: unless it is on national tv or has an audience in the thousands, never, ever, EVER do shows "for the exposure." The only thing that will be exposed is how they took advantage of you.
                        "Hey you should totally use *artist* for your project/event/whatever! They'll do it for free if you tell them they might get more work from it."

I have people that have purchased something from me in the past (back when I was making less then $.50 per hour) and tried to haggle me back down to my old prices.

It's so much fun to explain to them that I've won statewide awards and met famous people in quilting circles and that I would be happy to take that amount as a down payment now.
                        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth CatsLairArchives View Post
                          NO ART FOR YOU

Come back one year! /soupnazi
                          Violets are blue,
                          Roses are red,
                          I bequeath to thee...
                          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Some people just don't appreciate how long it takes to do art; even pixel art takes ages to do. This post reminds me of the loon who contacted a friend of mine on dA and basically ordered her to do a hugely complicated tablet art commission for free. My friend said "no" cuz at the moment she's an art student so doesn't have the time to spare to do free stuff for people who aren't her friends. She's done me a few gifts over the years, but I always do her something in return and besides, I don't constantly badger her.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              People who aren't computer literate have no issues paying a trained computer literate to fix their PC.

So, why do people who aren't artists react so aggressively cheap when forced to hire a trained artist and pay them?
                              I'm no artist, I'm on the computer techie end of the spectrum ^_^ And I used to do application-specific support for accounting proggies...Learning a specific program (to the point where I was *better* than most of the low-level techies working for the people who actually made the program) took, say, six months of app-specific training and daily use in-house...and a minor degree...and my 15+ years of general support experience We charged a lot, but we got the job done.

I know people who do art (of many kinds) of a living, and I have seen the quality and hard work it takes to produce something which "laymen" would think simple -- what you guys do is worth every penny If I actually had moolah laying around, I'd ask for a commish from several You guys bust your asses to get good at what you do. Charge accordingly.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Slightly OT: I ended up watching your art on FA. Your work is fantastic, that $200 you originally quoted them was perfectly fair. I'll have to start putting some pennies aside for a ref sheet from you sooner or later.

Back to the topic on hand, it always bugs me how people think they can charge artists so little for what could be their full-time job. I know many who do craftwork, artwork, jewelry etc. as a hobby, but for many others it's a means to get food on the table or keep the heat/power on. I don't think I could live with myself if I managed to easel an artist out of their fair pay for a piece of artwork. Probably because I still have that superpower called a conscience.

Comment

Working...
                                X