Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My family built this town!" ...and...?

One of the SCOs wasn't taking cash yesterday...well, it would take exact change, but the dispensing mechanism was jammed (again). As soon as I figured this out I put a few large "NO cash, cards only, NO CASH BACK" signs in addition to the splash screen saying such when you start scanning.

Said SCO calls me over...well, actually it's the customer making a scene; gesturing, tongue clicks, hammering the 'need help' button every two seconds, the works.

SC: "Why the F can't I [pay? I'm trying to give it cash and YOU [yes, he said 'you'] aren't letting me pay! F this!"
    Me: "This register can't take cash, it should have said so when you started."
    SC: "Where? I don't see any F'ing signs! I've been shopping here forever [funny, I've never seen you before] and I should be able to pay cash!"
    Me: "There are signs right there." [normally, I'd offer at this point to take a customer at the paystation, but I wanted to wash my hands of this guy as fast as possible]
    SC: "Well without my glasses how am I supposed to see that? [my 90-year-old grandma can see that without her glasses] This is f'ing ridiculous, f you, I want to pay and you will let me pay cash!"
    Me: "That was uncalled for and inappropriate. Do NOT speak to me like that." C at the desk pages ASM (we don't have a 'get over here NOW' code).
    SC: "F you, my family built this town [cue 'that explains a lot' from the next customer in line] blah blah Obama [wtf] blah blah f-bomb bitch whine f-bomb."
    Me: "This transaction is OVER. Come back when you're ready to be reasonable."
    Next customer: "Hey buddy, don't take it out on her. Machines break. You could have gone to any other register."
    SC: "I don't have time for this!"
    NC: "You made time when you decided to be a dick about it!"
    I'm able to void his order and take the items back; he storms off before ASM can actually get on the scene. Goes to the desk; C is having none of it and diplomatically kicks his ass out.
    NC: "Are you okay? That guy has some serious problems."
    Me: "I think I need a break after that."
    ASM finally shows up. "What can I help you with?" (thinking he got paged to help the customer who is now at the register)
    NC: "The customer before me was very rude and abusive to her when he couldn't pay cash."
    Me: "The guy swore at me."
    ASM: ... (I don't think he thought a customer could actually be nasty)
    Me: "C saw the whole thing, ask her exactly what went down or look at the camera footage."
    NC: "I'll just go to another lane, I was going to pay with cash."
    Me: (after NC leaves) "ASM, I am shutting this lane down because people can't read and then I'm beating the shit out of the empty boxes in the backroom for 5 minutes. I told you earlier I was closing it down because people can't read the signs but you told me to keep it open. If you want it open because there's no support ticket, you deal with everyone who wants to use cash." I then tell C to let every manager in the building know what transpired with SC and give her a detailed description of him.

For the rest of the night, "my family built this town!" was the standard joke whenever a customer started bitching.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

When the SC said "I don't have time for this" I read that in Carter Pewderschmidts voice.

Comment

I was thinking more of the"rock n roll" song by Starship; "We Built This City".

Comment

"My family built this town!"
        "And what have they done lately?"
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"My family built this city!"
          "Well that explains why this city is so f'd up."

That SC... Seeing the NC heckle him would almost be worth the idiot's tantrum. Almost.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

In the 1970s-1980s if a member of my family said that it would have been while drunk and in handcuffs.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

You made time when you decided to be a dick about it!"
              This is a really awesome line! I have to remember this for the next time I see some asshole yelling he or she "doesn't have time" for little minor problems that come up.

As for "my family built this city" I'd have said "And they did a f*cking lousy job of it, too!"
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                When the SC said "I don't have time for this" I read that in Carter Pewderschmidts voice.
                I was thinking more of Kimberly Wilkins
                Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

What a nasty piece of trash. He didn't read the sign, it was his fault.

Comment

If a lane isn't taking cash, I prefer to just shut it down completely (partly to avoid what happened in this tale). I've had SCs physically remove the signs I put over the cash acceptor and then complain. I think if something like that happens (willfully ignoring signs) the employee should be allowed to embarrass them.

Nobody on the floor at the time had ever seen that guy before (luckily, he had a few distinctive features that I sure as hell remember; I will refuse to deal with him next time...if there is a next time). Another reason why there needs to be a manager-manager on the floor at all times, to head off crap like this.

The only thing P (a manager who's in la-la-land half the time) had to say to me was "Don't let the jerks get to you"...this was way past the usual jerkiness, dummy.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have placed physical blocks in the cash & note slots to prevent people using them while I fetch our mandated signs, and returned to find people digging them back out rather that using the next available unblocked machine... You can't help some people!
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

SC: My family built this town!

Me: Yeah? So what have YOU done lately?
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                          "My family built this city!"
                          Did they build this city on rock and roll?
                          Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Well they certainly did a lousy job if you're the kind of citizen this town turns out....
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

What do you think of our fair city,
                              Dirty and dangerous, smelly and shitty?
                              If you're a friend of *** **** town,
                              You'll find a hammer and smash it down.
                              [John Brunner]
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X