This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tama View Post
    Wow, with all that going on I bet the drunks are built like track stars in Key West.
    It's a six square mile island, and a significant chunk of that is taken up by naval operations and park land. Really, even having to park "far away", isn't all that far. During Fantasy Fest last year I rejected entirely the idea of driving anywhere close to the festivities, and just walked from where I was staying to a particular bar on Duval Street, which is pretty close to "from one end of the island to the other". It took about 40 minutes at a medium pace.
    Last edited by mathnerd; 10-31-2014, 03:10 AM.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      What do you mean you don't have this product I want (that you don't even carry)?? I'm calling my Lawyer, and he'll SUE you and MAKE you carry it AND give me a FREE one!
      Didn't this actually happen recently?

I have vague memories of someone suing because her preferred brand of coffee was discontinued or something like that.

here it is

Seems that Starbucks stopped producing coffee capsules for a particular brand of coffee maker and she sued because she'd bought the machine specifically to make Starbucks coffee.
      They settled for $250
      I wonder who's going to be responsible for the $175k the lawyer is seeking as his fee.
      *sigh* at least the judge wouldn't allow it to become a class action
      Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
        ... It took about 40 minutes at a medium pace.
        Didn't Adam Sandler sing that?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          I had no problems parking my ten-speed bike outside your bar.

People just don't think about the options available to them.
          Or they don't care. And as far as bicycles go, I often tell my customers that that is the best way to get around Key West. Especially since a good half of the island, where most of the locals live, is where most tourists will never go anyways.

Parking is also usually pretty cake with bikes.

Quoth Tama View Post
          Wow, with all that going on I bet the drunks are built like track stars in Key West.
          Shit no. They're built like drunks everywhere, and that means a lot of them are built more like tracks than track stars. Not that we don't have drunks that are in shape. We do. There are a lot of people down here that hit the gym on a regular basis and are in great shape....and hit the bars on a regular basis and are as drunk as anyone!

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          It's a six square mile island....
          Actually closer to 8 square miles. As we often say, it's 2 by 4. (Yes. Really.) if you want to get technical, it's 7.4 square miles, but we rarely bother being that exact down here. Especially with all the drinking.

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Didn't Adam Sandler sing that?
          Yes. Yes he did. A great song. And I loved playing it when I was DJing at the clothing optional bar, and watching people's faces who weren't familiar with it when the lyrics profoundly shifted.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            They put up signs declaring the surplus spots visitor parking. After said signs got stolen 4 times, once the DAY AFTER replacements went up,
            And why? Were the thieves hoping to post them elsewhere and then claim they were legally parked?

they said "screw it"
            Shoulda said "weld it" instead.

Comment

As to "I'll sue" even if in the wrong - they may win out anyway. It happened to us.

My wife's first husband scammed us, long story, but we had an iron-clad case against him. First, though, we went to mediation. And our lawyer talked to his, they agreed that we would win in court - but it would cost us a bundle to do so, it would be less to give him $2,500.00 and call it even. Yeah, even though we were in the right, and a judge would have agreed with us, he still ended up with 2500 of our dollars in his pocket. (It was a situation where legal fees wouldn't have been part of the settlement.)

Assholes exist, because they often get what they are after with no regard for honor.
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Thinking back on the places I've lived, none of them have had official visitor parking. The best tenants got was one assigned spot. Yes, you still only got one, even if you had a roommate and both had cars. In that case, you had to fight to get a spot in the unmarked areas of the lot. It's also common around here to have to pay extra per month for an assigned parking space or even a covered space.
                We have some covered spaces at my complex that you can pay extra on your rent for. They're not that great. The spaces really need to be a little bit wider to accommodate the posts. Plus, I've seen one too many times at my complex and others around the city in the spring, the cover part getting ripped off by the wind and damaging the cars under it.

Plus, the covered spaces are all on the perimeter of the lot. Which means they're a lot farther away from most of the apartments than the regular "free" spaces. And I have to say that I do like being able to look out my bedroom window and see my car.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                  Seems that Starbucks stopped producing coffee capsules for a particular brand of coffee maker and she sued because she'd bought the machine specifically to make Starbucks coffee.
                  They settled for $250
                  Was her machine a Keurig that used first-generation (i.e. patent expired) pods? Does Starbucks still offer that variety of coffee in bulk (if they carry it at all, even for internal use, they should be able to sell it in bulk)? If both are "yes", an appropriate settlement would have been a set (they're usually sold in 3-packs) of the wire mesh re-usable pods that she can use with bulk coffee. If the coffee's still available, but her machine isn't one for which re-usable pods are available, then such a machine and a pack of re-usable pods (still less than $250) would be appropriate.

It sucks that the settlement for "making her machine unusable" was more than she had spent on the machine.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Was her machine a Keurig that used first-generation (i.e. patent expired) pods? Does Starbucks still offer that variety of coffee in bulk (if they carry it at all, even for internal use, they should be able to sell it in bulk)? If both are "yes", an appropriate settlement would have been a set (they're usually sold in 3-packs) of the wire mesh re-usable pods that she can use with bulk coffee. If the coffee's still available, but her machine isn't one for which re-usable pods are available, then such a machine and a pack of re-usable pods (still less than $250) would be appropriate.

It sucks that the settlement for "making her machine unusable" was more than she had spent on the machine.
                    I think her machine uses Tassimo t disks. There are no reusable pod for that as there is a barcode on the top foil which tell the machine all the brewing setting.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      But BEFORE that, I was parked in MY assigned spot, and someone who lives in the apartment that my spot was in front of, left a note on MY vehicle telling me I was in THEIR spot. You know...because it was in front of THEIR apartment. Regardless of the fact I'd already been parking there for a couple of months anyway, and PAYING for that spot.
                      Sounds like the losers that lived next door to my parents. Not long after they moved in, they went "full crazy" and decided that the street in front of their house was "theirs" and nobody else was allowed to park there. If you did, you risked getting a nasty note under your wiper, and probably a visit from the cops.

Cops would come, tell the goofballs that they didn't own the street, there was no "assigned" parking, and as long as the car wasn't blocking the driveway or on the grass, they weren't going to do anything. Naturally, if my parents' driveway was full and I couldn't park in front of their house...guess where my car resided?
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I love stories about people pulling the lawyer card. Seems to be an empty threat more often than not. Arga, has anybody actually sicced a lawyer on your company before?

My family has a fun lawyer story. Grandma's Brother (GB) decided to sue Grandma because he wanted more of the inheritance they had split 50/50 from their mother. He tried to cover up the purchases he'd made with his share, then came up with some claim that Grandma was cheating him, taking more than her fair share, hiding money, and so on. Lawyer hired, suit filed, the works.

GB seemed to have forgotten that Grandpa had been in charge of Great-Grandma's finances for the last few years of her life and that, because of his work experience, he kept meticulous records of everything. (Seriously. Grandpa's home inventory documents included sheets of graph paper with to-scale maps of every room in his house and each piece of furniture in them.)

Long story short: GB's lawyer saw Grandpa's notes and documentation. She did some further investigation, called GB out on his shenanigans, dropped his case, and filed charges against him.
                        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                        - IPF

Comment

Working...
                        X