This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search function missing?

I wanted to locate a thread I read a while ago to show it to a friend, but the Search functions seems to be missing for me. When I open any of the forums or sub-forums the Search bar isn't displayed, with the exception of the FAQs, where the bar is displayed but is only good for searching the FAQs itself.
    Am I missing something, do I need glasses or is my browser (Firefox) sabotaging CS?
    “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

It's in the menu bar at the top of the page, 3rd from the right (between "new posts" and "quick links"). I noticed that you're listed as having zero posts, so you're new here (or at least new to posting) - it's possible that the administrators have disabled search for new users.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This is actually my fourth post (yay :-)), but it seems that the posts are not counted for newbies, so you might be right. Because the menu bar at the top of the page for me shows
      Home - User CP - FAQ - Community - Calendar - Quick Links - Log Out
      If I log out, it only shows
      Home - Register - FAQ - Calendar

So maybe I have to behave and learn the ropes first, before I will be admitted to the higher circle. :-)
      “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Comment

Some of the sections don't increase your post count, and so far, it looks like you've only posted to the ones that don't. Basically, any of the customer service-related sections will increase your post count.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          it's possible that the administrators have disabled search for new users.
          Ayyyyup. It was some time ago, but as you can see, it doesn't come up often. Make some posts in the regular areas, and the system will enable it once you're no longer on "New User" probation, so to speak (read: X number of "counted" posts)

That being said, to !
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Ayyyyup. It was some time ago, but as you can see, it doesn't come up often. Make some posts in the regular areas, and the system will enable it once you're no longer on "New User" probation, so to speak (read: X number of "counted" posts)

That being said, to !
            That explains it then. And I haven't been idle but have finally put together my first story, which now awaits a moderator's thumbs-up. So I hopefully will be able to use the search function in no time.

And thanks for your welcome!!

Comment

I remember you Words - you explained the difference between interpreter and translator to me a few months(?!) ago.

I'm guessing the search thing is disabled to discourage spur-of-the-moment delving into member posts. Say, a boss hears that so and so has been venting here. She'd fire up an account and try to track it down. Someone that sneaky probably doesn't have the patience to do a few posts and wait out the probationary period.

Looking forward to your own take on SCs.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                I remember you Words - you explained the difference between interpreter and translator to me a few months(?!) ago.
                I just checked and it indeed was two months ago. I didn't realize that it took me so long to complete my first post, but I finally managed to do so. And wouldn't you know it ... after my thread was approved, I can now see the search function again.

Comment

Working...
                X