This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth camjuniper View Post
    ^ My library switched to a 'discs behind the desk' (in a locking DVD filing cabinet -_-) after a rash of thefts amounting to over $1,000 in stolen material. Shortly after that, our popular music CDs (not the classical stuff!) had a huge stack stolen. Into the cabinet with them, too.

I'm happy the method results in fewer thefts, but damn does it slow us down.
    If gaming type stores can do it in a mad rush, will be worth it to switch to that. Would be cheaper in the long run.

Comment

I've heard that stickers of any kind should NEVER be put on optical disks because it upsets the balance, and can damage the disk or player.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
        I've heard that stickers of any kind should NEVER be put on optical disks because it upsets the balance, and can damage the disk or player.
        I've heard that as well.......think it's why when new DVDs and CDs are processed, the security tag sticker only goes on a certain side.

Comment

The discs are pretty lightweight to begin with and spin pretty fast when in use. Balance *is* a problem if you stick something to it. That's why stick-on labels for blank discs cover the entire disc.

It should be possible, however, to make a whole-disc sticker that incorporates a security antenna, yet is balanced.

Comment

That is an excellent idea! I've never seen it though, I had to quit getting DVDs from the library because of it. I suppose I could have taken the sticker off, but that would have been SC of me.

So yes, this asshead stealing DOES ruin it for others!

Comment

Our library has the case's artwork in a folder. You take that up to the desk and they get the dvd from the back. Every so often, I'm thinking once a year or maybe twice, the dvd's check out rates are brought up and ten are pulled to be sold and ten new ones get added to the collection. So unless a movie was super duper popular it'll be a bit before the library has it.

(Why the heck does my spell check think movie is spelled wrong?)

Comment

We had major problems with DVD theft at the library the past few years I do security at. When I first started they had all the dvd's behind the 2nd floor desk, the case's were on the shelf but you had to get the dvd from the staff. Now that worked great but then the head of library administration decided that he wanted it to be more convenient for patrons and not tie up staff so he had all the disks put back in the cases. Now here was the main problem the cases only had the security stickers on them not the disks(not to mention it was very easy to peel off the stickers anyway) so you can see how that is an issue. We explained to him that this would cause dvd's to easily get stolen and it was very had for us to keep a constant eye on the area but he won't hear any of it(He's the type that will not listen to anybody under him, he'll only listen to someone above or equal to him in authority)

So guess what dvd's started getting stolen, we were finding empty cases everywhere. We explain to him that the dvd's are getting stolen and that he needs to bring back the old system. He refuse's and goes. "oh will just put in 2 camera's by the dvd's" It should be noted that each camera cost $3000 and only 4 months previously he had told us that the library could not afford new camera's as they were "too expensive" Of course these camera's suck, they are up high and low video quality and we can't zoom in or move them in anyway so trying to catch someone steal dvd's was next to impossible because they would just take them to other areas and dump out the cases in bathrooms or shelves.

What finally got the admin boss to finally cave and put it back to the old system was last year when over the span of 2 months over 200 dvd's were stolen and the screwed up part was that it was mostly done by one guy who would dump up to 15 cases in random bathrooms trash cans, we finally caught him when a staff member noticed a guy with a large stack of 10 dvds walking around and noted a few of the names of them and we later found the cases in a trash can. we watched the guy like a hawk the next day and I finally caught him on camera stashing empty cases on a book shelf. After that it came a point where major money was being lost and that finally got the admin boss to agree to go back to the old system, but then of course he later unplugged all the book alarm entrance/exits as he feels it makes the library look like a police state so anybody can walk out with anything without setting any alarms off

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  (Why the heck does my spell check think movie is spelled wrong?)
                  Is your spellcheck set to British English? They call them films there. Mine got set that way by mistake once.

Comment

Working...
                  X