This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See? I showed you I would get my way!

I recalled this from many years ago when I was an operator at Bellsouth. Before deregulation, there was AT&T, and the baby Bell companies, in which the latter no longer exists. Back then, the companies had stronger control over long distance calling, as well as local, which meant you could literally refuse a customer a certain service, if the call they were making was within the local Bellsouth jurisdiction.

This ass called in, wanting me to simply connect him to Sprint on his call, but would not tell me where he was calling. Back then, that was a requirement before we transferred to any long distance phone carrier. It went something like this:

O (Me)
    SC: (You know who)

O: Bellsouth, may I help you?
    SC: Yes, transfer me to Sprint.
    O: Sure, sir. May I ask where you are calling please?
    SC: No, you may not. Just get me Sprint!
    O: I'm sorry, but you'll need to first tell me where you are calling before I can transfer you.
    SC: No, I don't. Get me to Sprint! Better yet, get me your supervisor.

I then transferred this guy to an in-charge, and explained the situation. A few minutes later, I could hear the in-charge explaining to this douche again what I had explained to him. Then, the in-charge paged me with this:

IC (in-charge): Transfer him to Sprint please.
    O: Ok, but did he say....
    IC: Just transfer him over.
    O: Ok (and customer comes back to the line) All right, sir, transferring to Sprint.
    SC: (Which really got me here) So, what was that you were saying about policies and rules? Got what I wanted. Thanks!

If I could have reached through my phone and choked this guy, I would have. It was bad enough that the in-charge refused to back me up, but when an SC has to literally gloat and rub your face in that, it's even more aggravating.

Yet another Noodle-Spine Manager. Thanks to them, the Sucky Customers of the world have thrived, prospered and breeded more self-centered, greedy bastards just like themselves.

Thank you, Noodle-Spine Managers. Thank you ever so much. We hope you all get exactly what you've given your subordinates.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I had situation like this a couple weeks ago. I'm still mad about it. So mad I don't even want to share it. I hate, hate, hate when shit like this happens.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
        I had situation like this a couple weeks ago. I'm still mad about it. So mad I don't even want to share it. I hate, hate, hate when shit like this happens.
        Got an even better one that really rubbed me the wrong way for quite a while. At least seventy per cent of our calls were from prisoners, and they were only allowed to call collect. The only thing we could do for them was assist in putting the call through, but under no circumstances were we to transfer to any long distance provider, or even connect them to any other number. They had to dial it themselves. This gem went like this, and by the way, this spineless manager and I did not get along at all. She had it in for me, but I always managed to get one step or sometimes two ahead of her.

SM (Spineless manager)
        O (Me)
        PC (Prison caller)

PC: I need AT&T on this call.
        O: I cannot do that. I am only allowed to connect you to the number you dialed, as long as the called party accepts charges
        PC: Get me your supervisor then.
        O: Fine, but this is extremely strict policy. I can tell you she is not going to be able to do that either. (This is where I think things went awry, but I transferred him to SM).

SM then came back a minute later, and had me transfer this jailbird to AT&T! And, I was convinced she did it because she heard me say she would not allow it, and did it just to irk me. It really pissed me off, not only because of that, but also because this jailbird could now tell all of his other criminal buddies what he did, and they would then turn around and do the same thing.

That was over fifteen years ago, and I still at times think of that incident. Not that I dwell on it much, but it comes up whenever we share customer service stories.

Comment

Ugh, I'd be sorely tempted in those situations to 'accidentally' hit the disconnect button instead of the transfer buttons. "Sorry, as I was reaching for it, my headset slipped and hit the disconnect button instead...."

Comment

Working...
          X