This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Thief at the Library

Not too long ago, we changed our security system at the library. Ever since we did away with putting cards in the back of the book in the early 2000s, security tags weren't really a thing until the library hired contractors to put a new security sticker (at $5.00/sticker) into every book and DVD in the collection.

The most notable change was in the entertainment DVDs. It used to be they were all put in a thick plastic case that could only be opened with a magnet. Not only did this add an unnecessary amount of time to circulation, it meant there was never enough room on the shelves for DVDs. The new sticker is different- it goes right on the front of the CD, so there's no need for a case.

When I was shelving in fiction, I found a stack of DVD cases. I'm used to finding abandoned books and stuff in the stacks, it's part of the job (though it still drives me absolutely crazy) There were about fifteen of them, all of them open and missing the DVD. That's fifteen discs someone walked out with.

I'm not even sure how he didn't get caught, since it's the disc that sets off the alarm, not the case. Except maybe I am. See, we get so many false alarms from books that were checked out but the security tag didn't change, that everyone's used to letting people go. Hell, maybe the guy knew how our system worked and checked out a few books, counting on everyone thinking it was a false alarm. When I left for work the building was still clearing out, so I'm still holding out a tiny sliver of hope that they got him. If they did, I won't know until Saturday.

It just pisses me off, is all. It's bad enough shoplifting from a store, but this is a public service that everyone pays into and it belongs to everyone, and someone decided he needed the complete run of "The Wire" so badly that he steals it from the county. Plus I have this tiny little illogical particle of guilt that I let it happen because I'm the one who found the DVDs, so I'm involved in it.
    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

I used to see the same thing at Mal Mart. You'd see a little slice in the plastic on the side of the box, and the DVD would be gone. They were dam good at it too.

If that gets to be to much of a problem, you may have to go back to the heavy cases. At least those are harder to steal.

Comment

Long shot as well, but given that it was just the discs, is it possible they used a improptu Faraday cage (tin foil) to block the signal

*note I don't know if this would prevent the signal or not*
      How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Makes me homesick for the way the sub base library does it. The *empty* dvd/cd case is in the stacks, you take it up to the desk and they take your *military* ID information and then hand over the dvd/cd in one of those paper and celluloid sleeves. You don't return it, your military sponsor gets bent over and screwed. [or you, if you are in the military]

One of the nicest libraries to hang out in. Such a lovely quiet place where stuff doesn't walk off. *sigh*
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

If its anything like the security tags we used the gates don't register a bulk amount of stock going through as they think its merchandising. Try taking a role of the stickers through the gates then just one at a time.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            Makes me homesick for the way the sub base library does it. The *empty* dvd/cd case is in the stacks, you take it up to the desk and they take your *military* ID information and then hand over the dvd/cd in one of those paper and celluloid sleeves. You don't return it, your military sponsor gets bent over and screwed. [or you, if you are in the military]
            At the very least, would probably be worth it to switch it to that kind of system, where you have to actually get the DVD/CD from the desk when you check out. Makes it harder to just walk off with half the DVD collection.
            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I hope your library is different from the ones in my city, but in my experience having the disc stolen doesn't really matter unless it was brand new. Guaranteed, by the 3rd or 4th check-out the disc will be so badly scratched, bent, warped, chipped, cracked and/or outright broken that its completely unreadable. And that's not counting the various god-only-knows (please god, don't let me find out) substances the discs are gummed up with.
              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Makes me homesick for the way the sub base library does it. The *empty* dvd/cd case is in the stacks, you take it up to the desk and they take your *military* ID information and then hand over the dvd/cd in one of those paper and celluloid sleeves.
                ^ My library switched to a 'discs behind the desk' (in a locking DVD filing cabinet -_-) after a rash of thefts amounting to over $1,000 in stolen material. Shortly after that, our popular music CDs (not the classical stuff!) had a huge stack stolen. Into the cabinet with them, too.

I'm happy the method results in fewer thefts, but damn does it slow us down.

MrsEclipse--I feel the same way about folks thieving from the library--this is for everyone just frikken' share already!

Comment

simple question, do you have an emergency exit and do alarms sound when it's used?
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Makes me homesick for the way the sub base library does it. The *empty* dvd/cd case is in the stacks, you take it up to the desk and they take your *military* ID information and then hand over the dvd/cd in one of those paper and celluloid sleeves. You don't return it, your military sponsor gets bent over and screwed. [or you, if you are in the military]*
                    This is how the used book store in my town does it. You want to buy a CD, DVD, or a video game you bring the empty box to the front desk to pay when you get the actual disk.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

There is a special place in hell for people who steal library property. Somewhere between the lake of fire where people who talk in movie theaters get their tongues coated with pure capsaicin and the igloo where owners of weekend robo-callers get violated by hell-ferrets with cacti to the dulcet sounds of bad dubstep muzak.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        ... bad ... muzak.
                        There's good muzak?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

bad dubstep muzak.
                          That's like three levels of redundant right there, GK.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            That's like three levels of redundant right there, GK.
                            Its Hell, and I have a lot of imagination to fill.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

There is a special place in hell for people who steal library property.
                              HEAR HEAR!
                              I firmly and devoutly believe a public library is the pinnacle achievement of society.
                              Libraries should be like temples, revered and well funded. And sports Arenas should be begging for volunteers and doing fund-raising drives. While I'm dreaming, library patrons should be quiet, respectful, polite, and not smell bad.
                              Seriously, to all library employees/volunteers: I love you.
                              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X