This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mean Mean Man - Hotel Version (long)

The other night on my audit shift a guest approached me and said they were unhappy with their room because the toilet would not flush (keep this in mind - this is the only issue with the room) At this point he also told me to warn the morning shift because he was going to give them hell. (his words)

I apologized and he asked if they could move into an upgraded room - because we all know that bad toilet means better room. We were not even close to being sold out so I said no problem. He immediately asked if we had a jacuzzi room. (red flags going off by now) It was booked so I gave him one of our other suites.

A few minutes later he came back very irate. The key to his old room stopped working. He immediately launched into a swear word laced tirade about how this was not right and all he wanted to do was get his stuff out of his gosh darn (cleaned up version) room.

I snagged our special keys that enabled us to bypass battery drained locks and went with him to his old room. The entire time we were walking to the room he was swearing and complaining. Basically he told me he did not expect to pay for his room. I told him that so far nothing he had experienced warrented a free room. We got to the room and I got him into the room in less than a minute. At this point I politely asked him to keep his tirade down because we had truckers and construction crewmembers that were trying to sleep. He went off on me some more. When I got up to leave he started in on me again. I did not know what he expected at this time. He had a better room and I got him into the old room post haste.

I warned my morning relief person. The next night I came in and in our log book was a long note from her pretty much stating he was a jerk to her. He demanded a late checkout because of (everything) that had gone wrong the night before. (really?) He later came to the desk to checkout and flung the key at her and said we had better not charge his credit card because he was going to dispute the charge with his bank. We charged him anyway!!!!!

I think I would have invoked the old AH tax (A$$hole tax) and charged him extra for the new room as it was an upgrade. You do NOT throw things at my staff.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

It really sucks that people think they can get whatever they want just by being a jerk. Apparently it works often enough that they just keep doing it.
      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

While you were in his old room, did you check to see if the toilet would flush?
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          While you were in his old room, did you check to see if the toilet would flush?
          Yeah, I would have walked into the bathroom and tried flushing. If it worked, I would have turned to him and said 'If you still want the upgrade, you will be charged for it. Your toilet works just fine. You just 'insert directions such as push this little lever' to flush it."

Comment

Remind me never to go into the hotel business. I'll stick with telecom.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

At our property, we try to remedy the problem first. If someone says their toilet won't flush, I will attempt the plunge it for them. They get a new room only when I can't fix the problem.
              I will leave discounts to the morning shift and if anyone asks me about one I just pull the 'ol "I don't have the authority to take $$ off the rate" (which is complete bull). That way if they actually deserve a discount for their inconviences, its done at one time rather than me fiddle with the rate and then them demanding an even better rate in the AM.
              We also don't have suites so there really isn't stuff for people to upgrade to :P

Comment

follow up

Not only did the afternoon desk person check the toilet but after he moved I went and checked it. It would not plunge and began flooding the bathroom after I tried. He had a valid complaint with the toilet. If we had been sold out and there was nowhere to move him to he would have deserved compensation.

Comment

But maybe HE stuffed it.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                    But maybe HE stuffed it.
                    Well, he definitely was full of "stuff".
                    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
                      He immediately launched into a swear word laced tirade about how this was not right and all he wanted to do was get his stuff out of his gosh darn (cleaned up version) room.

The entire time we were walking to the room he was swearing and complaining. At this point I politely asked him to keep his tirade down because we had truckers and construction crewmembers that were trying to sleep. He went off on me some more. When I got up to leave he started in on me again.
                      Would have served the SC right if he'd woken some of your other customers - he'd have faced the wrath of PROFESSIONAL profanity-users for disturbing their sleep.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X