X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not how it works (quickie)

Cheap, Classist, and Sucky all in one.

A rather unpleasant woman came up to me in my supermarket and asked where the Mexican section was, and so I showed her. Now, as I imagine is the case in most stores, in our Mexican section we have taco shells and tortillas, taco seasoning, refried beans, taco kits, and salsa and picante sauce.

As I showed her this and she informed me that she was looking for coconut milk, which was on a different aisle. The upshot is she thought she could get coconut milk cheaper in the Mexican aisle because as she put it, "Mexicans don't have a lot of money," so obviously it wouldn't be as expensive as in the regular people aisle.
    "Your focus determines your reality."-Qui Gon Jinn
    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

"Get it done."-Captain Edward Jellico
    Star Trek: The Next Generation, Chain of Command

If I'm not mistaken, coconut milk is usually with the Asian stuff (at least down here it is). Does she think that the Asian aisle is too good for her???
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth iron2004 View Post
      The upshot is she thought she could get coconut milk cheaper in the Mexican aisle because as she put it, "Mexicans don't have a lot of money," so obviously it wouldn't be as expensive as in the regular people aisle.
      Wait, so there's a separate section of my grocery store where all the regular items are crammed into one aisle and marked at lower prices? I could have been saving time AND money all these years by shopping in the Mexican aisle? What a fool I've been! [/sarcasm]

I'm only halfway through breakfast and this lady's story has made my brain reboot at least twice.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

I have noticed a price difference if you can read Spanish. It's...I don't know how to describe it.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          I have noticed a price difference if you can read Spanish. It's...I don't know how to describe it.
          Half dollar a spaniel?

(garbling habla español)
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Cheaper? Because of the AISLE it's in? Not even gonna attempt to parse that.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Half dollar a spaniel?

(garbling habla español)
              Eso ni siquiera es gracioso ...

Edited for...

Last edited by Aethian; 09-04-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

She may be rude & culturally insensitive, but she's not crazy, at least not around here. Certain brands, like Goya, are only placed in the "mexican" aisle of big supermarkets here (upper Midwest, USA). Bagged rice & canned goods of these brands are significantly cheaper than the "regular" items in the "main" aisles, even better than the house brand. After comparing prices, I now always get my rice and canned beans in the specialty aisle. Take a look-- you might be surprised. But be careful, the taco shells, tortillas, taco seasoning, taco kits, salsa and picante sauce are not in the same place. Because these items are made in the USA??? or are more mainstream??? or ???

Comment

I think it's because they are mainstream CheeryBye.

Comment

If she's needing it for curry, it might explain her crabbiness. I love the stuff but my intestines? Not so much.

Comment

Where I work we have coconut milk in the baking aisle.
                      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                        Where I work we have coconut milk in the baking aisle.
                        So do we, actually

Comment

Working...
                        X