Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't know what you're asking for...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't know what you're asking for...

Oh dear god, I just woke up and its already starting.

So a family member referred me a project. Cool. Except that the client is all "ummm, I need a good deal, she said you'd give me one."

...Fine. I'm extremely broke right now anyways, I'll be nice.

SHOULD'VE KNOWN. I SHOULD'VE.

Well, I look at their site, and it's a wreck. But, its also a simple one, so I offer a really decent price, and ask what they want done. They love their site, they really like the colors, and layout, but it's all just executed very, very poorly. So they ask for me to basically make it more professional looking.

She then reminds me that she needs a really good deal, because she's a family friend. Yes. Yes I know.

So I write up the contract and send it on over...very simple contract, too. She promptly pitches a FIT, saying I'm out to fleece her because the contract states that if extra work is needed, she'll have to pay more. She claims I'm going to scam her, that I'll triple the cost of the project, this is how my kind of people get money.

My eye starts twitching, I nicely explain that no, it's just for the possibility of her asking for more features...all extra costs are thoroughly discussed beforehand with clients.

So after going back and forth, she finally signs the contract. PHEW. But not without reminding me that she's a family friend. Yes I know.

Well, I get started, and within a day, turnaround a really nice mockup that revamps their whole layout, but still incorporates their colors. I'm thinking this will go over really well, and my only worry is that it looks a bit too different.

Shouldn't have worried.

I promptly get a reply that I've STOLEN the old design, how dare I do such a thing! Everything still looks exactly the same, its way too close. They wanted something totally different. (?!?!) She also states I need to get better pictures than the ones they use right now, because their photos are bad. Her suggestion is to just "use Google image search, there's lots of really nice images on that for free."

Um, that's copyright infringement. What I did isn't stealing, but what she's suggesting IS.

Took me a little bit to calm down after that, but I managed to politely explain that a) I followed her directions, b) If she wants something different, please tell me, and c) Just using random images off Google search is bad, and asking for a lawsuit.

This is going to be a fun project. I can just tell. -.-
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

This is why whenever my boyfriend does tech support for my family, that my parents pay him WELL afterwards. Albeit in alcohol of course
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

This is going to be a fun project. I can just tell. -.-
      Of course it will be! She's a family friend!

Bonfire with her and the family member as fuel later?
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Hooooly snap. So I called her up. Just because I don't like beating around the bush.

She was shocked I called, but after I explained that I was just following directions...SHE APOLOGIZED. Said she was sorry, she didn't mean to come off so angry and grumpy. /blownaway

Things are, hopefully, straightened out now...just submitted a new mock that should be more to her liking.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

This is why no matter who the fuck you are, I insist that my husband charge everyone his normal rates. No family or friend of family discounts.

Actually, he has a regular full time job and his software company on the side. And that software company now only does large deals. Too many small time people who didn't pay on time made him put a stop to the web design/re-design deals. I was ready to go and hunt down a real estate agent who my husband did $3000 worth of work for when the guy decided afterward that he wanted to pay in installments even though the costs were all laid out upfront.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
            So a family member referred me a project. Cool. Except that the client is all "ummm, I need a good deal, she said you'd give me one."
            -
            Family friends do get a special rate - twice my normal rate. And it is a good deal for me. All negotiations will be in accordance with the rules of Jester.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Family friends do get a special rate - twice my normal rate. And it is a good deal for me. All negotiations will be in accordance with the rules of Jester.
              I was about to post the same thing. I was a math teacher for years until I left teaching for the flexibility of a corporate job. Still, because I ever taught math, my friends and family call me constantly for help. I tell them my rates are double to deal with family.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

A Seraph story with a possible happy ending? Well, I haven't seen any horsemen yet...

Comment

Quoth Zapper View Post
                  A Seraph story with a possible happy ending? Well, I haven't seen any horsemen yet...
                  ... there's Covered In Fish ...

If that isn't an omen I don't know what would be...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                    I was ready to go and hunt down a real estate agent who my husband did $3000 worth of work for when the guy decided afterward that he wanted to pay in installments even though the costs were all laid out upfront.
                    Heh. Sounds EXACTLY like a real estate agent my husband did web development work for. Makes you wonder if this guy gets around.
                    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

"Your ad says popular prices! How can you call that popular prices?!"

"Well, I like it..."
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        "Your ad says popular prices! How can you call that popular prices?!"

"Well, I like it..."
                        I LOVE that answer!
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Zapper View Post
                          Quoth dalesys View Post
                          ... there's Covered In Fish ...
                          Any time Seraph posts a story, there's usually a visit from the horseman G.B.H.

...well, there should be, anyway.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            All negotiations will be in accordance with the rules of Jester.
                            To be completely accurate, I do not have any rules of negotiation.*

I do, however, have Jester's Patented Anti-Haggling Technique.

*(With the notable exception of when I am "negotiating" with the boys who date my nieces. More exactly, the boys who date my nieces who are dumb little shits and haven't figured out that they are dealing with princesses who are zealously protected by a vicious ogre. Meaning me. With those boys, my rules of negotiating involve me negotiating their exits from my nieces' lives. My negotiating tools are a combination of my Death Glare, my Creepy Smile, my friends' boats, the Atlantic Ocean, and any number of large blunt objects that may be handy. Like, say, baseball bats, sledgehammers, and my sword. Which is large and, since I've never sharpened it, technically is blunt.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

If she brings up the "friend of the family" thing again, just tell her that you'd be happy to charge her your NORMAL rates, if she doesn't like the discount you're already offering, and then show her the price sheet ^_^

As for extra fees for extra work...? Family gets charged for those, too. You wanna pay for 10 hours of work and squeeze in juuuuust a little more stuff that will tack on another 20 and expect it to be included...
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X