This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't touch people you don't know

I was checking out this woman and her sextegenarian mom, who were arguing about how to bag thew stuff (one going to one house, one another). The mom said "I'm an old lady," probably to excuse her supposedly confusing me. I didn't want to say "Yes, you are." so I said "Okay..," kind of jokingly. She said "Stop it!" jokingly, but punched me in the arm. Now, that crosses a line. If it had been last year when that arm was in excruciating pain, I would've cried. You don't know what's going on with people physically or mentally. Don't touch.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I had a staph infection on my right forearm a few months ago. It was at the most painful point of the process, right before it was gonna start getting better. I had the spot bandaged up, and wore long sleeves even though it was warm for added protection, and went out to dinner with the husband.

The long sleeves turned out to be a bad idea when the waitress, who was extremely busy, came over to apologize for the delay in getting our order. Being the touchy-feely type apparently, she patted me on the arm as she was walking off. RIGHT on the bandage. I almost cried from the pain.

Yeah, touchy-feely strangers bug me, not just because the other person might have some sort of pain issue, but for personal space reasons. And regarding my situation, I learned that there's apparently a trend for tipped waitstaff to touch the customers to establish a bond with the customer to make better tips. I, personally, would be more likely to request another waiter in the future or dine elsewhere if one insists on touching me.

Comment

I HATE when people touch me. Especially ones that I don't know. I don't care if she was an old lady, she'd of gotten a punch back!

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
        Yeah, touchy-feely strangers bug me, not just because the other person might have some sort of pain issue, but for personal space reasons.
        Some people just don't want total strangers getting all touchy-feely with them. It's their body, and their right to refuse unwanted contact. That person may be in physical pain, an assault survivor with PTSD, claustrophobic, or just plain doesn't want some stranger grabbing them. Perhaps the other person is dirty or smells bad, or is just giving off bad vibes that is making the first person nervous.

I'm glad I was able to help you today; no, please don't hug me, a handshake will do. Thank you for telling me I have pretty hair; no, you may not pet it or pull it. A simple "excuse me" will get my attention; you do not need to dig your talons into my arm and drag me around like some pull-toy on a string. Basic Common Courtesy 101, folks, learn it!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Reminds me of the story from several months ago... I forget the user's name, but she had hurt her hand and was wearing a flexi-cast or something on it. A crazy woman approached her in a store and thought (apparently not the first time, either) that the girl worked at the store. She didn't - so the crazy woman got a manager. The manager confirmed the girl didn't work there so crazy GRABBED THE GIRL'S INJURED HAND and demanded the manager fire her. Well, the girl screamed and punched crazy and called the cops on her. Fortunately the damage wasn't bad, but it hurt her like hell.

Unfortunately she hasn't posted in quite a while so we never found out what happened.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            That person may be in physical pain, an assault survivor with PTSD, claustrophobic, or just plain doesn't want some stranger grabbing them.
            We got a similar speech when I was in boot camp. Don't put your hands on another person. We were specifically instructed, if you need to wake up your relief for the mid watch, do not shake them awake!

So, when I was startled from a sound sleep and knocked a girl off my bunk by backhanding her across the face? Didn't even get reported.
            Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
              We got a similar speech when I was in boot camp. Don't put your hands on another person. We were specifically instructed, if you need to wake up your relief for the mid watch, do not shake them awake!

So, when I was startled from a sound sleep and knocked a girl off my bunk by backhanding her across the face? Didn't even get reported.
              Back on Rob's first submarine there was a chief who had been in Vietnam. He used to wake up when the door to the goat locker was opened. Anybody new to the ship was warned not to touch him if he didn't know you were in that particular space. Rob and I have an honorary uncle who was a tunnel rat in Cu Chi - you *don't* sneak up on him.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh god, if someone grabbed my bad arm, I'd scream so loud the sky would split. Damn thing hurts a lot some days. I hate strangers touching me anyway.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  Back on Rob's first submarine there was a chief who had been in Vietnam. He used to wake up when the door to the goat locker was opened. Anybody new to the ship was warned not to touch him if he didn't know you were in that particular space. Rob and I have an honorary uncle who was a tunnel rat in Cu Chi - you *don't* sneak up on him.
                  Clueless Ex was like that. His middle kid came home unexpectedly on leave, after Cliff had gone to bed. Told me he'd wake his dad himself, went downstairs to the bedroom, and flung open the door. And then slammed it back closed very quickly.

He came back upstairs white as a sheet. And thanked me for the fact that the gun in the headboard of the bed was not loaded.

Nice kid, Dennis, but even dumber than his dad, sometimes.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                    Reminds me of the story from several months ago...

Unfortunately she hasn't posted in quite a while so we never found out what happened.
                    The story was last October, but she did some other posting last month. She didn't refer to the earlier incident, though (aside from informing one SC "The last person who touched me without permission got a black eye and a court case").

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                      The story was last October, but she did some other posting last month. She didn't refer to the earlier incident, though (aside from informing one SC "The last person who touched me without permission got a black eye and a court case").

Good to know - thanks, Argus.

Comment

Glad to know I'm not so rare. I really don't want to be touched. I'll tolerate it from friends and family, and my husband can touch me all he wants, but strangers need to learn to keep their hands to themselves unless it's a handshake. It's about personal space and it's highly inappropriate to touch someone you don't know. So oh boy can I relate. We had this crazy lady who insisted on touching me last week (as in, hugs) which I loathed. Most of the time, I managed to deflect her but she got me once or twice.

I don't get whats so hard about not touching people you don't know.

Comment

Working...
                        X