This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You should learn that"

Manders (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=88866), and Anakah's (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=88898) threads have reminded me of one of my earliest SCs. As patronizing comments are one of my biggest pet peeves this stuck with me for a while.

Background: About 6 years ago I was working at a fast food store selling chicken. At the time there was a deal where you could add a dessert to your meal at a discounted price or buy it on it's own.

A middle aged lady (SC) walked in and ordered a meal. It started off well

SC: So what's this dessert thing about, what are they?
    Me: They're little cheesecake desserts, they come in chocolate and cookies and cream. They're normally $X, but with a meal they're only $W.
    SC: Which one's better?
    Me: They're both nice. Personally, I like the chocolate the most, but I'm a chocoholic.
    SC: Me too
    Me: Would you like one with your order?
    SC (in a very annoyed and patronizing tone of voice): ! NO!, You know, just because someone asks about something doesn't mean they want one, you should learn that"
    Me: Oh I'm sorry...

Thinking: Grr...I didn't say you had to have one, just asked if you wanted one after you asked about them, and what's wrong with a simple no.
    Last edited by Anthelle; 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Geez, a simple "no, thank you" or a "maybe next time" would have been more than sufficient.

Comment

Quoth Anthelle View Post
      SC (in a very annoyed and patronizing tone of voice): ! NO!, You know, just because someone asks about something doesn't mean they want one, you should learn that"
      ...and yet, usually, it DOES mean they do. I know I do it 90% of the time. -.-
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
        ...and yet, usually, it DOES mean they do. I know I do it 90% of the time. -.-
        Yes, which was part of what annoyed me so much at the time.

I'm sure somewhere out there an SC had the exact opposite comment to a worker, having an eye role and a sneer and saying " Yes, why else would I ask? Honestly, use your common sense"

Comment

Oh Em Gee
          This and the other stories reminds me of something I should post later.

Back OT-
          I love it when people make you to be like an idiot. A simple no is good. In a nice tone. I hate people.

Comment

Quoth Anthelle View Post
            I'm sure somewhere out there an SC had the exact opposite comment to a worker, having an eye role and a sneer and saying " Yes, why else would I ask? Honestly, use your common sense"
            Naturally. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. These SCs are just looking for someone to feel superior to, even if they have to pull something out of thin air.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I wish I'd been in line behind that lady. Then I'd say "You should learn to be more polite."
              "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Anthelle View Post
                Me: Would you like one with your order?
                SC (in a very annoyed and patronizing tone of voice)...
                That's the key right there. No, I don't care if you are asking about them because you want one, no I don't care if you're asking to make chit-chat. I'm asking so you'll tell me yes or no and I can ring you up and move on with my day.

And the consensus is right; it was fifty-fifty you'd get a "Why else would I ask?" instead.

argh!

Comment

Maybe she expected you to read her mind & act accordingly?

Comment

Something done crawled up her ass and died, and it stinks to high heaven.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Wouldn't you just love to say ; At your advanced age you should have learned manners by now ;p

Comment

Anthelle, what happened was you fell into a selling technique called an "assumed close". It's sometimes used in several industries. "Just sign your name on the dotted line and you'll be all set!" It's effective with some people, but others find it obnoxious and develop an immediate reaction to it. You basically set off one of her red flags and she got angry about it.

Comment

You can always say my new favorite line:

"If I could read minds, I'd have a much better job, a lot more money, and wouldn't be here right now."
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                            Anthelle, what happened was you fell into a selling technique called an "assumed close". It's sometimes used in several industries. "Just sign your name on the dotted line and you'll be all set!" It's effective with some people, but others find it obnoxious and develop an immediate reaction to it. You basically set off one of her red flags and she got angry about it.
                            I haven't heard this term before but from my recent google-ing I'm not sure that it fits. I could be misunderstanding the term though. The only thing I assumed is that she actually wanted the meal that she had just told me she wanted. Which really isn't an assumption when someone comes up to a counter and says they want this meal.

However, her irritation was with me asking if she would like the dessert. I don't understand how "Would you like one?" assumed anything. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Working...
                            X