This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to get advice

Another not-quite-customer story. I'll just present you with the conversation, it speaks for itself.

X: exactly... how hard is it to make a fursuit head?
    BladeTrethoniel: *shrugs* I find it not so much hard as time consuming
    X: oh? cause I was thinking of making one for a costume
    BladeTrethoniel: *nods* There's a lot that goes into one.
    X: what're the big steps?
    BladeTrethoniel: Building a frame, fleshing out the frame, making eyes, making teeth, making a nose, making ears, making a pattern for the fur, cutting and sewing the fur, gluing the fur.... I'm probably forgetting something in there.
    X: that... is a lot
    X: I can see why they cost so much lol
    X: how much do you charge for them?
    BladeTrethoniel: Depends a bit on the details. $550 is my base price.
    X: o.o
    X: people pay that much
    X: what am I saying of course they do they're furries
    X: XD now I want to make them and sell them
    BladeTrethoniel: You can't get anywhere NEAR that much money for one as a beginner. I've been doing this six years now.
    X: haha yeah I'd imagine I'd have to hone my skills for a while
    X: still, the prospect of money has me intrigued, how did you get started?
    BladeTrethoniel: I started making tails
    X: yeah but everyone makes tails
    X: and besides I have two tails which are somehow still intact despite my unusual treatment of them
    X: I need to start in the big leagues, besides once I master heads everything else will be easy

Yeah. My desire to give her useful advice just swirled right down the drain there.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

.......yeeeeeah. I do get this sometimes (why anyone would want to ask ME for drawing advice, I don't know) and I always have to fight the urge to shake them and whine "You don't GET iiiit!!"

Comment

*headdesk*

This scenario is similar to a drunk man trying to buy a bar so he can get all the 'free' beer he wants, while having no skills in managing a business.

X will most likely end up making something that falls apart or no suitable for putting onto peoples heads. You can't just expect to be able to make a fursuit head with no skill or practise with using materials, wireframe or patterns.

*sigh*
      Sucky Employees = The result of sucky customers getting a job...

Comment

oh i understand this one. not some much making fursuit stuff. but i make jewelry and chain maille. people see how "easy" it is to make chainmaille then they flip out after the 5th hour of it with blisters and being upset at how little they have made...i mean a shirt is about 80-100 hours depending on various factors. Oh well after they try and fail they usually come back.

Comment

Working...
        X