This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm a part-time preacher and didn't even know it

Today...is the pinnacle of stress for every manager and department supervisor. I speak of course, of our annual inventory day. As if that wasn't noteworthy enough, my day started off with one of those "that should NEVER happen to me" moments.
    I work for the giant, mega-retailer that eats most other retailers for breakfast. You know, the one that used to have a giant smiley face for its mascot. We have the Site To Store program where you order things online and pick them up after they arrive at our store.

Anyway, I have a customer come in to pick up his order which includes a mattress in a large box. Being it was sitting on top of another box in the back room I slid it off said box onto a cart to take out to the customer. Underneath this box for whatever reason was a somewhat-used Bible (King James Version). I pick it up and show it to a CW who was in the area, and as we're making comments about it being a sign from above...who should happen to walk by but the store manager? He looks at me and starts lecturing me: "Are you doing ministry back here? This is not a place of worship, this is a place of work!"

Dumbfounded by this, both myself and CW just stand there silently, waiting for him to either say something else or laugh...you know, ANYTHING to keep it from being left like that. He just walked away a moment later and I went back to finish with the customer's order. Hell of a way to start my day!

You should have popped back quickly 'We were praying that you don't have to deal with any difficult customers today. We'll stop since it bothers you.
    '

Comment

It might seem out of left field, but that SM may have had a problem with it from another employee, or received a memo due to lawsuits.

Next time, just take a moment to explain.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I would have gladly explained if he had asked what was going on BEFORE going on the offensive with me. Unfortunately I'm the kind of person who gets rattled easily and he used that to his advantage in this situation. I'm just waiting for some sort of writeup to pop up in the next few days, so he can yet again assert that in the store, there is no god but him.

Comment

Wow, I would have no idea what to say if I saw someone with a Bible in the backroom. The latest group of people I work with, it wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Working...
          X