Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you find a better job, release the info on what this business is and we can boycott it into oblivion.
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I would also consider forwarding the email to the labor board.
      And printing it out as well for hard copy evidence.

and take very good notes during the beat down.

and i hope you can get to dragon con still

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

and take very good notes during the beat down.

This. An unassailable paper trail may become invaluable during this 'end game.' Take a notepad and a pen and write down as much as possible of what occurs in the meeting, including names and a time frame.

Comment

Please keep us posted on this meeting. I'm getting steamed as hell just reading this.

Comment

My phone and ipod can record sound so I'm thinking of recording the whole thing while we are in there. I won't need pen and paper then, I'll have voice copies.

Don't worry, when I finally am done with this place, I will post the name of the company and the hotels they own.

Comment

Ok, I've done research for the last couple hours.

Honestly, I can't find anywhere in federal law that says that you must be paid the day you are supposed to be paid.

The ONLY law in Louisiana regarding state payday laws is that "Applicable to entities engaged in manufacturing, mining, or boring for oil, employing 10 or more employees, and to every public service corporation. Payment is required once every two weeks or twice during each calendar month." And that's from the US Department of Labor.

Louisiana is one of the worst states to work in. Its a work at will state to the max, and the employers can basically fire you at any time for any reason except for reasons against the Constitution of the US. No wonder it has such a large portion of the state that poor.

According to the US Department of Labor, Louisiana has no laws governing breaks/lunch and whether you need to have one or not, and there is no minimum wage law (though there is something up at work that says minimum wage is $7.25 an hour per federal law). According to what I'm reading, there isn't even anything protecting the employee if the business goes under. Meaning, if it goes under and you find out suddenly, you will NEVER get your final paycheck.

How can this be legal? Its like they make sure the state will remain poor.

Comment

Here:
                http://www.employmentlawhandbook.com...Louisiana.html
                Bottom of that page:
                Notice Requirements

An employer must inform employees at the time of hire what wages they will be paid, the
                method in which they will be paid and the frequency of payment
                . An employer must also
                inform employees of changes to any of the above-listed items prior to making the change.
                Louisiana Stat. 23:633

Stat. 23:633
                http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2006/7/83947.html

NOW. If you have designated pay days - the 1st and 15th (example) they are required to pay on those dates. OR GET FINED. IF there needs to be a change (and I'm ASSUMING it would be across the board change - e.g. change of payroll platform) notice in writing would work.

BUT FOR WHAT THEY ARE DOING THEY CAN BE FINED.
                Take this thread, any emails and notes you have and report them stat. And find a new job.

this is another part of the 23:633 statute:
                D. Employers shall post, in the same location where they post other employee notices required by state or federal laws, a notice provided by the Louisiana Department of Labor that states, as follows:

"Your employer has a duty to inform you at the time of your hire what your wage rate will be, how often you will be paid and how you will be paid, and of any subsequent changes thereto. If your employer should, for reasons within his control, fail to pay you according to that agreement, you must first lodge a complaint with him. If no action is taken to resolve your complaint, you may report the violation to the office of labor within the Louisiana Department of Labor."
                It's state law, based on some archaic fed laws. Work with the state here.
                Last edited by Der Cute; 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM. Reason: eta more data
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Thank you so much for that. I couldn't find that information for the life of me.

Comment

I agree with the above. Forward the e-mails to your state's labor board. Take a copy of the reg or statue to the meeting--nothing like a bit of leverage. Remember the lawyers' cliche: If the facts are on your side, argue the facts; if the law is on your side argue the law; if nothing is on your side, argue.
                    Also start looking for another job. Employees are unsecured creditors in a bankruptcy. IOW, the get whatever, if anything, remains at the end.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Nice work, Der Cute!
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                        Nice work, Der Cute!
                        I second that.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

What Moirae said. As soon as you have that check in your hands, go to the bank it was written from to cash it, then take it to yours to deposit what you need to.

Also, I second starting the job search ASAP. Your workplace is going under. Good Luck.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I always refer to her as Coworker A on here, but she got smart. She decided to take her vacation day today instead of next month on her birthday like she was going to do originally. The "meeting" is put off until Thursday. I'm personally thinking she probably has a job interview since she hates it here even worse than I do.

I have 20 days until I leave on my vacation for 9 days. We will be in Tennessee for a bit with my husbands family and then in Atlanta for Dragon Con. I'm delaying job hunting till then, but the day after I get back I'm going on a massive job hunt. Ahhh heck, I may job hunt while I'm there since we want to move to Atlanta anyway and have been trying to find jobs there for three months. Then I won't have to come back to this nightmare.

I am sooo much better than this. I'm worth sooo much more than this crappy idiotic place. I have what the United States calls an Associates degree (in Canada its called a Diploma) as a Medial and Legal Administrative Assistant. I also have a year and a half training in university level biology (among other things including Western History, Archeology, Chemistry, and Physics). I am sick to death of not being respected in the least.

I've tried and tried in this industry to get promotions, or heck even respect but its impossible with this job. In my old job in Canada, I was told the last time I was back there that I'd be the Front Office Manager now if I hadn't moved to the US to be with my husband. My old boss asked me if I'd train her employees while I was there because I was soooo good at my job. But here... this place treats me like dirt.

Nearly ten years in this industry wasted. I had to fight to get the schedule I want, never mind anything else. I'm older than everyone in my office, and I do at least twice the amount of work than my direct manager. I'm soooo sick of this.
                            Last edited by Moirae; 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to start job hunting now. This economy sucks for job hunting, so the sooner you start looking, the better. At the very least, polish up your resume.

Even if you get a job offer before vacation, if you say right off the bat that you're leaving for X thru Y dates, that's helpful. I told my old manager when she hired me that I was going to be gone for about a week on a prearranged trip, and she was able to work with me on that.
                              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Yeah, but I couldn't do job interviews right now. Since I'm leaving for vacation soon, he won't give me time off. If I pretend sick, he insists that we have to have a doctors note no matter the co-pay. Thats $40 out of the vacation fund. And for that matter, if I try, he might insist that I take a day out of my vacation for it. I just don't want to risk it right now.

There is a possibility of a job as a Sales Admin Assistant at my husbands job, but since he and I are married, we don't know what the rules are for that. He's been trying to get ahold of HR but HR has conveniently managed to be out of the office since last Thursday. If its a possibility, I'm going to dress in my business best and head over there to talk directly to HR and to Sales and try my damndest to get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X