This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to quit...

I got myself a new job, handed in my 2 weeks notice stating that my finish date would be on august 14th (I agreed that I'd come in to do some OT on the Sunday).

I work evenings, new job starts the next day on Monday but is an afternoon shift. Went into work today and found out they'd changed my shift pattern, without warning, to an overnight shift that finishes at 8am and I wasn't scheduled to work that day (or for the next 2 days, went from Mon-Fri evenings to Thursday to Sunday night shifts...

I'm pissed more for that fact that they changed it, without warning or informing me, to affect my last 3 days, despite the fact I'd just had a shift change and they are only meant to be changed every 4 months except in unusual circumstances!

I'm severely tempted to just work until midnight on the 14th as I stated that my last day (not shift) is the 14th, not the 15th (the Monday), or else just say 'screw it' and just call in sick on the weekend...

What are they going to do - fire you?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

QFT - I'd tell them to stuff it and not work over the weekend as you need to get your sleep scheduled readjusted so that it can transition to the new work schedule...

And I'd write them,

"Due to the unacceptable and unplanned changes in my schedule my last shift will now be friday aug 12 - I will NOT work past 12 midnight.

thank you and good bye"

and then, no matter what they schedule you, make sure you're out of there by midnight.

you've already gotten the new job - its not the old company can call them up and say you left them in the lurch....
      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

They're trying to screw you over on your last few days there. Don't take their bullshit. What are they going to do if you don't follow that schedule? Fire you?

Comment

It depends on how you want to leave, if you want to leave on a good note in case you want to be rehirable, I would just suck it up and work the hours, but if it's not that important to you, I'd tell them to stuff it and quit.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
            Thats pretty much my attitude at the minute to be honest, I'll prolly work the Thursday an Friday, then tell em to screw it for the weekend

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              They're trying to screw you over on your last few days there. Don't take their bullshit. What are they going to do if you don't follow that schedule? Fire you?
              Exactly. They're angry you're leaving. At least you can draw from that you're a good employee and your leaving is a disadvantage to them. Take that as a compliment.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Mattland View Post
                Thats pretty much my attitude at the minute to be honest, I'll prolly work the Thursday an Friday, then tell em to screw it for the weekend
                It's what happened to MadMike once - he was quitting and they were dicking him around. It's what he said at the time.

Rapscallion

Comment

Are they intentionally dicking you around or was it more of a "Meh, why not?" Because there's nothing wrong in declining the extra hours, just keep it polite and clean. I'd only burn bridges if they truly deserved it, 'cause you never know when it's going to bite you in the ass.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Mattland View Post
                    You absolutley want to be at your best on Monday morning for the new job. The "right" thing to do is to tell them that your last day is going to be Friday but if you do so they may tell you to get out now. If you can afford to be off until the new job starts I would take the chance and tell them. If you can't afford the time out of work then just call in dead on Saturday and don't think twice about it. They obviously aren't worried about you so don't waste your energy worrying about them.

Comment

Write a note. Leave it on manager's desk or hand it to manager personally.

(Today's date)

Due to personal health reasons and requirements to meet future endeavors, I'm not able to work these final shifts of my tenure. My final day of employment is (MM/DD/YY) at (time AM/PM).

Sincerely,
                      (Your name)
                      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X