X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes at work

Long post

I found out yesterday from my immediate supervisor at the parking company I work for that my hours have been cut at the client site. I was working full-time as a parking attendant from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday as a parking attendant at a university. Beginning this Monday I will be working 33 hours a week...1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. every Friday.

As of September first I will no longer be eligible for medical benefits or dental benefits.

My immediate supervisor told me the Parking office personnel, specifically Andrea, *the Director of Parking & Transportation*, told him that they continue receiving phone calls from customers at either the Visitor Parking entrance gate call box or the exit gate call box. He also told me that Andrea told him that there is a communication problem between me and the Parking office. When I asked him "what does she mean by a communication problem?", he just repeated himself.

Andrea does not want me to work the first shift, which will be 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. She feels I am not cut out for the all of the changes that will take place beginning Monday, the first day of fall semester, in addition to watching the entrance gate and exit gate to Visitor Parking so the Parking office does not get any phone calls plus the booth window so I can assist the customers who drive up.

Here are the changes...
    • Due to big construction project, traffic has been re-routed to other streets in the area near the university. The construction will last 12 to 16 months.
    • There will be a huge traffic flow increase in the immediate area where the university is located.

The first 2 days of the fall semester will be very busy. 41 spots have to be reserved for the first shift, each day. There are 52 visitor parking spots. Most of the reserved events happen on the first shift.

I am glad I have a job at the moment, but I am not banking on having one for long. Today I took home a lot of my personal belongings I left at work between 2006 and now. I am frustrated and scared. I really do not want to go to work. I am going through the motions.

I want a better job.

My immediate supervisor told me he does not have any other jobs to place me in.

According to him, Andrea chose to go with a cheaper contract in which 2 part-time parking company attendants work inside the Visitor Parking booth.

He feels that the job can be done without the parking office receiving a single phone call from a customer at either call box.

I would appreciate any advice, help, & support the customerssuck.com members can give me.

What are some good job hunting websites?
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM.

Are you a security guard?

Look into 1) other companies and 2) becoming commissioned. In Texas getting commissioned isn't cheap but the base at most companies jumps by a substantial amount, which makes up for the pay pretty quickly.

If you aren't a security guard, look at security guard companies. What you're doing is what lots of private security guards do.

Here's a random list of big companies from 2002 that I got off Google. I know for sure the first two listed companies are still around, since I've seen guards from those two companies at random places I've gone. I twice worked for the company that bought out Pinkerton, in two different cities, and I was generally treated half decently.

1 Securitas Security Services
    2 Wackenhut Corp., The
    3 Allied Security
    4 Barton Protective Services
    5 Initial Security

Also, check out local hospitals (they generally only list jobs on their websites). You could be a security guard or parking attendant there. There are also jobs like being a cashier in the cafeteria or bringing food to patient's rooms. You may also be qualified for a clerical job like being a unit secretary (you'd answer phone calls, put stuff in the computer, that sort of thing). Search under nursing jobs for the unit secretary jobs. A bonus about hospitals is that they tend to have good benefits.

Comment

I am sorry this is happening.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Update

The second shift attendant, who will be working the first shift beginning this Monday, told me he really does not want to work that shift.

He told me he will bust his butt for Andrea so the Parking office does not get any phone calls, but given the situation with the construction & traffic being re-routed, I really feel that is impossible to do.

I am really glad I will not be working the first shift this Monday. I am getting a break from having tell people that they cannot park when Visitor Parking is reserved.

I intend to look for a better job.

Comment

I worked for Wackenhut in Virginia Beach back in the mid 80s and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the somewhat low pay. I worked a bank op center on third shift, had sat into sunday and sunday into monday as my 'days' off. Only real drag was I hated the stupid 'female necktie' that was issued with the uniform, but it was no big deal.

I always got treated fairly and left on good terms. Actually when someone called to do an employment check they told her to tell me that they would love to have me back if I ever needed a job.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Since your boss feels it would be easy to do the job without the office getting a call, perhaps (right after you have your new job lined up and are ready to give notice) you could 'ask' him to come to the garage a couple days and show you how it's done. Bet he'd change his story after an hour if he even bothered to agree.

Comment

I'm so sorry you are going through this, I understand how it is. If you have any other parking companies around you, look for a job with them (since I don't know which city you are in, it's hard to think or other companies in your area).

You might want to look at shopping malls, etc., for security jobs. I know libraries do as well in some of the bigger cities, and even some smaller ones with colleges (like Manhattan, Kansas, where I go to school right now).

I will be sending good thoughts your way...good luck!
              Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Working...
              X