This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gig at the Moose Lodge...not what'd you'd think

We were hired by a very beautiful & charming lady the guitar player & me have known for years* to play for her friend's 40th b'day,she'd rented the local Moose Lodge hall for it.

I've played the various private clubs & organizations over the years,Elks,Moose,VFW,American Legion etc...& they all have pretty much the same thing in common: a buncha old drunks who have no other place to hang out,they don't like any music past 1975 & it's gotta be country.
    (never mind that I'm now approaching that age myself )

Well,this was a little different.I,as usual,get there a little early to set up my drums & I'm greeted by a lady I know well,turns out she's the 2nd in command.Then I see 4-5 other people I know from another bar I've played at the last 16 years & my brother's there,turns out he's a member (I'd called him to tell him we'd be playin' there).

Then we meet the "Governor" (head of that chapter) & he's this old biker lookin' guy,really friendly,later in the evening when it was gettin warm inside due to the AC not workin' well he grabs a big fan & sets it up for us.

Turns out they were a great audience,not only did the party people like us,the members said we were the best band they'd ever had there & they absolutely loved our original music.

The Govenor came up to us after we'd finished playing for the party folks & asked if we could play another set or 2,I told him "We were hired to play the party & it's over.If you wanna hire us to play more let's discuss money" He said he didn't have the budget that night (we were tired too) but he really wanted to have us back,soon

So I'm supposed to call him Monday & get some dates & I'm gonna join,it's only $35 a year,I figure bein' a member too will give us more clout.The impression the Gov' gave me was that he personally liked us & wanted to hear more of our original music.

He told me they were tryin' to get more people to join after a disasterous year & a half of the former Gov runnin' people off & felt that we'd be a welcome addition to the promotion.

With local bands scrabblin' for gigs in a bad economy & very few plcaes hirin' original bands this is a real shot in the arm for us

* Paul & I really like the woman & she really is damn good lookin' but we don't trust her as far as we can spit
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Ah sweet! I hope you have a beefy repertoire of originals! This is cool...
    better brush up on the covers too. :3
    (do you have any originals on youtube?)
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

You going to add "Them Moose-Goosers" to your set?
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
        Ah sweet! I hope you have a beefy repertoire of originals! This is cool...
        better brush up on the covers too. :3
        (do you have any originals on youtube?)
        We have about 50 covers & 50 originals,we're in no danger of runnin' out of material
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          You going to add "Them Moose-Goosers" to your set?
          Pokin' they goosey moose in they goods?

Comment

Working...
          X