Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was at the gas station someone must have rolled a bunch of silver quarters and sold them to the bank we used. Got about $10 in silver.

Another time someone paid for gas with (40's or 50's era) blue seal $1 and $5s in good condition.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Taking a tip from a 'decluttering your home' site, I've started to keep my change with me instead dumping it in a jar at home. I go through the SCO usually, dump in the change in my pocket and pay the remainder on my debit card.

Last time I went to my bank, the teller and I stood there for twenty minutes counting my change.

Comment

You all are reminding me that I need to get more rolls of quarters... unfortunately the bank downtown has gone to appointment only...

Comment

I have LOTS of quarters I would love to put back in circulation. However, I am far too lazy to make an appointment at our bank to pick up coin rolls, bring them home, roll a big jar of change, then make another appointment to go back to the bank to cash them in for what they are worth.

We don't need the cash badly enough to spend all that gas and time dealing with something that should be much easier.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            I have LOTS of quarters I would love to put back in circulation. However, I am far too lazy to make an appointment at our bank to pick up coin rolls, bring them home, roll a big jar of change, then make another appointment to go back to the bank to cash them in for what they are worth.

We don't need the cash badly enough to spend all that gas and time dealing with something that should be much easier.
            Does your bank not provide a coin counting machine for their customers?
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

The local branch of our bank never had a coin counting machine. The branch in town (35 miles away) did have one, but its no longer available for customer use. I'm willing to drop the change off and let a teller count it, but that's not an option either.

I think the coin star machine at the grocery store is open now, but I don't go into the grocery store to buy groceries, why would I want to risk my life by going into a grocery store and selling change for 90% of its face value?

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

I think the coin star machine at the grocery store is open now, but I don't go into the grocery store to buy groceries, why would I want to risk my life by going into a grocery store and selling change for 90% of its face value?
                Choose the gift card option, that way you get to keep 100%.

Comment

That's what I do; coffee funds never expire (and even if they did I'd use it anyway). Using change for a gift card means that much less out of my bank account.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The in-store coin machines will vary on their percentages. There's some where the store pays the whole cost of it, figuring that the extra business plus not having cashiers dealing with gobs of loose coin will pay off in the long run.

ALWAYS read the details.

Comment

Some locations of these will also allow you to convert the coinage into store credit with no fee. That being said, most places will give you cash change back from such a voucher if you buy something. Just sayin'.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Some locations of these will also allow you to convert the coinage into store credit with no fee. That being said, most places will give you cash change back from such a voucher if you buy something. Just sayin'.
                        I gotta see if the Grocery Store I work at does this, would be nice to just throw some of my change onto a Grocery Store gift card once in a while for one of my weekly grocery runs. That or wait until they need to buy some change off of me again [the customer service manager went then when I came in with over $100 worth of coins, told her that I had another $100 or so still uncounted at home if they still needed more].
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                        X