This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Should Hotel Comps be Offered?

This started with a SC but it's got me interested in what others, especially in the industry, think about this.

We had a guest who is staying here with her family for a Bar Mitzvah. There are around 10 rooms for their group and, for the most part, we have had relatively few problems. One room, though, is an endless source of pain for us at the front desk. The whole thing started on my shift.

The guest calls down to the front desk and says the toilet won't flush. No problem, I send our maintenance guy up and about 10 minutes later I'm told everything is fine by him. Many many hours later at 10:40PM I get a call from the room. The guest is upset because the toilet won't flush. Since there is only one employee on at night (10PM onward) I offered her the two choices we have: Wait until tomorrow or move to the only other vacant room we have for the night. After a good 15 minutes of yelling and complaining on her part, we decide to move her. Despite being alone I personally bring up two luggage carts and the new keys to the floor. I point out that she doesn't NEED to move everything. They have both rooms until noon the next day and they could use their current room to store their luggage or use the second just for the restroom. The guest doesn't seem happy. I left my shift half an hour later with a lot of documentation on my part.

Since then, every person working has had an encounter with the guest. She is demanding her room be comped for the night (at a rate of 206.00 for our largest suite.) We already reduced the rate by 10% for inconvenience and their rate was already low because they were with a group. Everything started on Friday and management won't be in until Monday. Even if we wanted to camp them, it would need to be retroactive. Still, I doubt she will get it knowing our manager.

I would love to hear what other hotels would do in such a situation. I've only worked here so I'm not sure how common an occurrence comped rooms are in other places. Usually we don't comp unless it is obvious we were at fault.

The only time we ever comp a room (other than when the owner gives free rooms to his friends [sub-rant I may post about another time: every one of his 'friends' are EW jackass SCs, but then, so is he]) is if there was a very serious problem or several minor problems AND we were unable to fix it or provide an alternative, such as offering to move the guests to another room.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

ditto what infinitemonkies said... discounts, yes, we will do discounts... free upgrade on a future stay, maybe... but a free night... almost never. As far as we're concerned, you paid for a place to sleep at night, and as long as you got that you still have to pay... we will take off to adjust for quality, but we won't give away for free as long as you got that most basic of requirements (there are exceptions, there are some people who get comps, but they are rare... like, I've seen it 3 or 4 times at most in the last year type rare).
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Maybe it's just me but they sound like they're scamming for that free night. I can see giving them the discount you did if the toilet was broken but you went above and beyond for them. Screw them, they got a discount and if I was in your shoes I'd regret giving them that even if they deserved it.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Is it all right if I think they were breaking the toilet themselves? It's not that hard to break. If your maintenance guy discovers that it's a five minute fix, that might be what's happening.

I stayed in a hotel once that had a toilet that wouldn't stop running. Since it was really late and I was too tired to call management (years of trying to keep the landlord the hell out of my apartment when I wasn't there has inured me against summoning maintenance for any reason), I fixed it the same way I fix it when it happens at home - a hair elastic around the lever to keep the tank from re-filling; cut it off the next morning when I need to use the loo. It honestly did not occur to me to complain to the management or try to comp the room; none of my business if they're losing money on inflated water bills, I guess. Maybe I hoped housekeeping would notice.

Love, Who?

Comment

I'm glad it's not just our hotel's staff that feels that this is not an issue that should result in a comp. The guests checked out this morning. I haven't talked to anyone from work yet so I don't know if anything else happened, but it couldn't have been good....

Last time we had contact with the guest she had canceled all of her credit cards we had on file. She had threatened to do so and a co-worker tried the cards out. Nothing. She really did cancel the cards we had for her room. So now I don't know what we're going to do. If she did checkout without providing a form of payment, I would hope a police report would be filed. Our manager is not going to be too happy when she gets in on Monday.

Comment

Oh, I definitely want an update on this one.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm voting for poilice action. You still have and ID or something on file after all.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Well, it looks like we were able to get a charge on the room. Her mother was also staying with her and, while not much, was better than her daughter. Our AGM has received several calls and emails about the matter but there's been no budge to comp the room.

What bothers me even more is that I've since talked to maintenance about the issue. Having been alone at the desk when everything started, I didn't get anything of a chance to have someone look at the problem at the time. It turns out there was nothing preventing the toilet from functioning. Instead, the lever was slightly loose and it occassionally dropped down, causing a small noise of rushing water.

Basically, the whole could have been solved by simply closing the bathroom door while they tried to sleep.

That's what I get for not asking more questions when the vague "it's not working" complaints come in.

Comment

Working...
                  X