X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First generation Ipod nano

I need help.

A few years ago my dear sweet mother bought me a ipod nano first generation.

today it quit working.

It was working right before I went to work. I listened to it on the way to work. then set it down on my desk and went on with my day. I grabbed it when I got off and tried to use it and nothing.

It had a blank screen and did not respond to anything. It was fully charged.

I plugged it in when I got home and still nothing. It did not even bring itunes up when it was plugged in.

Help.

....please.....
    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

You'll probably have to get it repaired. I would start looking for someone to repair it. If I had to guess, something got disconnected inside (hopefully not fried).

I remember there was a 3rd party Ipod repair service that would fix it cheaper than apple would charge. But I don't do ipods so I don't remember the who or where, just the what.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

have you tried a hard restart on it? you slide the hold on and off, and hold the center and up buttons for 5 seconds, that will reboot it. if that doesn't work then its not consumer fixable. will require an apple tech or a 3rd party. radio shack still does repairs on items not purchased at their stores, you will pay a premium but it will get fixed. not sure if anyone else in retail does something like that.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I love you steel!!!!!

the hard reboot worked.

Your full of awesome!
        My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

you're welcome, if it happens again try that, i learned that working for the warranty company, works for all ipods but the early gen1. alot of the times when it freezes like that its time to update the firm ware. also seen it happen with a new version of itunes. enjoy
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

grats on not having to spend money.....

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
              grats on not having to spend money.....
              But non-grats on not checking the manufacturers FAQs

It sounds pissy, I know, but checking the help files at apple.com will inevitably bring up their 5Rs as a first thing to try - if it's a non-mechanical error the procedures will almost always fix it.

I apologise for any offence, but it's one of my buttons... There's a reason they're called Frequently Asked Questions.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

By the way, if you're in the area of an Apple store, the Genius Bar is a free service (unless, of course, you actually need repairs— but questions and basic troubleshooting* are free.)

* They actually will go a bit beyond the basics: I've watched them do fairly detailed diagnostics at times. Though before you get visions of unlimited free tech support, it's only free if it's the type of stuff that can be solved without cracking the case or installing extra software— y'know, the type of stuff that most telephone-type tech support will do, though they go a bit more detailed than I've seen most telephone-based support be willing to do. And there's a huge difference between having someone ask you if you know your power adapter is good (and telling you to call back after you've checked it out) and having the guy say "Hey, let me grab a good power adapter and see if that helps the problem." And they're really patient (at least locally). I've had a couple times where I tied up the poor guy for an hour.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                  But non-grats on not checking the manufacturers
                  Why do that???? When she got us

Not everyone can read technical stuff of their hardware without having their eyes start rolling up. And have you seen some FAQ for some companies, usually it's everything but what you're looking for. Plus, nobody thinks straight when their favorite toy all of the sudden stops working.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                    Why do that???? When she got us

Not everyone can read technical stuff of their hardware without having their eyes start rolling up. And have you seen some FAQ for some companies, usually it's everything but what you're looking for. Plus, nobody thinks straight when their favorite toy all of the sudden stops working.
                    But the Apple FAQ is about as simple as it gets and it's thanks to that attitude that the techs you call have to run through the same bloody FAQ when people decide to call in. They're there to rule out the the bleedin' obvious or assist in the diagnosis of the more complicated stuff
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                      But non-grats on not checking the manufacturers FAQs
                      Do NOT try and make people feel bad for asking for help. There's better ways to say "read the FAQ." Try saying "so you know, the Apple FAQ covers this in an easy to read fashion, so next time you have a problem, try there so you can get help faster."

It's not like this sub-forum moves quickly, so extra threads asking for help on something you consider trivial aren't a problem. If threads like this are your pet-peeve, feel free to skip them.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                      X