The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
    What's the first thing that opens in Wisconsin? The bars.
    If I lived closer to the border, I would have crossed last night to get some Spotted Cow on tap.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
      If I lived closer to the border, I would have crossed last night to get some Spotted Cow on tap.
      Michigan has a border with Wisconsin, but I'm nowhere near it (SE corner of the lower peninsula) or I might have done the same.
      "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

• Well, FINALLY, some good news in all this mess.

I just found out today that my beautiful niece will get her high school graduation after all. It's a compromise situation, that I'm not fond of - only immediate famly who live in the same house can attend, and 1 kid at a time, but she's getting it!

My tears aren't because I ate too much hot sauce with lunch.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Woohoo! We made the cut! Some good news for a change

My county is one of the ones that will go "Yellow" next Friday. It doesn't make a huge difference -- bars and restaurants still have to be takeout only, and masks are still required. But some businesses that have been deemed "non-essential" will be allowed to reopen. But the biggest thing is that the lockdown will be lifted, and groups of 25 people or less will be allowed. And if I decide to just go for a drive, that's allowed too.

Interestingly enough, most of the counties that had previously planned to defy the order backed down. Maybe they knew they were going to be the next to reopen anyway. One of the few that are still planning to go through with it did not make the cut this time around. A few businesses have reopened against orders, including a barber shop just a stone's throw from my house. The cops paid him a visit the other day, but so far he's still planning to stay open.

My wife's job is planning on having everyone return July 6. No word when my job is going to do the same, although they did mention that even when the area goes "Green" again, they won't necessarily be bringing us back right away. We had an onsite meeting scheduled for this Monday, but obviously that wasn't going to happen, so it got rescheduled a few days ago. But for some reason, they rescheduled it for June 3. I'll honestly be surprised if we're back in the building by then, especially considering the county where I work isn't one of the ones scheduled to go yellow next week.

Not too long ago, I was feeling like I was tired of going out to eat at the same old restaurants and drinking and doing karaoke at the same old bars. Once this is over, I will never complain about that again. The things we take for granted...
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• I was buying alcohol the other day and was thinking hm, this isn't very secure... They don't take the ID anymore, I hold it up and they look at it. They used to scan it. And I have a mask on, so they can't really see if my face matches the picture. If someone wanted to give their ID to say a sibling or anyone really, it would be dead easy. It must not be that big of a problem since this policy change has been going on for months now.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Sabre - Perhaps a temporarily solution would be to change the "price" on any affected meat dishes to "Market Price," the way seafood places often do for certain (theoretically) fresh-off-the-boat fish. Just make it clear that the price will be quoted before the order is placed, and say IN WRITING that there will be no refunds purely on the basis of "this is too expensive!"
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Still off work, myself. Coming up on six weeks off work. Still getting paid, but not working. And I'm not returning next week. Won't know until at some point next week if I report back at any point.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Actually EricKei, we change our prices once a year, at the end of May. So, there will be a decent increase then.

Of course, then I'll have to deal with the bitching from those who still think they should get 5 sandwiches for $1 like they could 60 years ago.

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    What's the first thing that opens in Wisconsin?
                    The cheerleaders' legs?
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Encouraging signs of a slow return to normalcy...store hours are expanding beginning tomorrow (we started closing at 8:00 PM the second week of March, now it'll be 10:00 PM. Not quite up to the 11:00 PM the store used to be open to on weeknights/Saturdays, but within shouting distance), and the deli and seafood counters are open for business for the first time in nearly two months, albeit with strict distancing "bubble" stickers on the floor for those waiting in line.

Comment

• I'm not ready to go back to the shop or the office. I feel like I would be so focused on keeping safe that I wouldn't be able to get anything done. I also will wear a mask for a trip to the store or errands but don't want to wear one for 8 hours. I'm not even sure if they're effective but I have been doing it to be on the safe side. Anyone who's been working at the stores have any advice for how to be productive/deal with awkwardness?

Edited to add: I could quit the retail job for a couple of months and get one that involves delivery so I'd be in my car most of the time.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• The deal with the masks is not to protect you directly. It's more of a spread-stopper to keep anything that you have, stay with you.
                          No, it's not the most comforting thought you'll have today, but it beats wondering who else you'd be spreading things to.

You'll see lots of the 'Asian' countries where everyone is calmly masked up. You'll also notice that they're a lot further along in being able to safely open back up. There's other factors at work, but it's one of the indicators, even in super-dense populations.

Comment

• A lot of American's seem to think, "If the govmint tells me to do, I ain't gonna do to." They'll get over that attitude, one way or another.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Company was the subject of a not-flattering-at-all article about a 'proposal' made to employees when they received PPP funds. I wonder if they're going to release a statement about it or if they even know what kind of damage control to run.

It looks like (I hope) we'll get called back in the next week or so...we all have questions about the required safety/transmission training or even if the company knows what to do. CW has said that I could probably train the managers. I think all of us have our own masks/gloves/sanitizer that are far better than what the store's providing.

One thing I am interested in hearing an answer to: SCs who have learned that they can get our attention by touching/grabbing/getting up in our faces...how are we allowed to dissuade them and will management back us up? (if they tell us that we can't say/do anything could that be interpreted as an unsafe working environment)
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Well, Wharf Uno is out of business and it would be easy to blame it on the pandemic but there were issues before. Still, the lockdowns did not make for a comeback at all. When our store closed I was half sure I wasn't coming back and now I'm only considering it because it's hard to find part-time jobs that don't involve delivery. I could possibly wait until the fall for a seasonal retail gig, especially since Mom is for sure needing to move here by the end of July and I'll be busy helping here with house-hunting and moving. I am still working from home for the main employer and they are upping our metrics despite the current situation. I think they expect us to be back in the office in June because at that point the standard goes up. If we don't hit certain metrics for May, we are on probation.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X