This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New City, New Job

I had to move from NY to Texas really quickly in April. My now-husband's mother got a bad diagnosis. He's an only child, and of course loves his mother, so we decided to move to where they live to spend more time with her while we can.

I moved a week earlier as I had been promised a job right away, and we'd already taken possession of an apartment (ie, paying rent on it), and I had a car ready for me in the new town. That one fell through like I can't even.

So 2 weeks later we get married, and I'm stressed beyond belief. He had a job waiting for him, but I was still sending out resumes and only getting interviews with placement agencies. I finally do get placed at what is practically a start up -- two brothers who own 5 labs, 2 pharmacies, and a spa, all acquired less than a year ago. The books are a mess and have to be built from essentially scratch. That's not a problem for me; I've never started a job where things weren't a backlog of disasters.

That was 2 months ago. They decided to keep me on as of June 15th. I was quoted a fair salary range when I first interviewed. The dead center was my minimum, and the lower portion was what they paid me as a temp. So I was expecting to get the minimum, per usual in my experience of job hunting.

Well, my boss asked me, before the official offer, what I had been promised initially. I hate this question, but finally gave him the higher number, hoping for the best.

I got my official offer, and it's a few thousand ABOVE the highest salary I had been told in the interview. Apparently he really went to bat for me and convinced the CEO that I deserved more than they had first considered.

I'm now making the highest salary I've ever had, which is great since I'm going to grad school to get my CPA. We could have done that with less, but with this level of increase, my husband will be able to get more accreditations and improve his marketability as well.

I'm so happy! I wanted to thank my boss for his support, but I figure the best thanks is to keep doing a good job.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Whooo Hoooo!

Sorry about your mother-in-law though

Comment

Thank you. She's doing OK for now. It's degenerative, but she's taking steps to prolong her own health. We hope to have her around for a good long while.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I love hearing happy stories! Stories of employers who do what's right for good employees are getting rarer and rarer.
        Given that your mad accounting skillz will save them a lot of real headaches in the future, the few 1000s extra are well deserved.
        No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
        X