This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure what to do here.

They have always done this, but its gotten worse.

Starting at least a couple weeks ago, our managers have been gone an awful lot. The department manager (Director of Reservations and Revenue) has been gone almost every single day. If he's in, he's in for a few hours, usually less. Our direct manager (the Reservations Manager) moved to one of the hotels for four days last week. He wasn't supposed to work at the hotel again until Thursday but he came in at 9:30 am for today, then left by ten to go work at one of the hotels again.

What this means is that whenever there's a problem, there's no manager to ask or to talk to. There's no one to take problem calls, or deal with issues like the computer system suddenly causing problems.

Neither of them are answering their cell phones.

I quite honestly don't know what to do here. If I had the information, I'd be able to deal with this stuff, but I'm not a manager (even though I'm the most qualified of all of the people here including both of my managers).

I'm debating talking to HR since I'd probably get blown off if I talk to the COO (the DORR's manager).

Do you think I should just suck it up and let it go? What do you think I should do?

Not that it really matters since the company is crashing and burning anyway. But still. They don't even usually tell us when they leave, they just disappear.

My husband says that I should wait until after the so called meeting we're supposed to have this Thursday (its really just going to be our DORR telling us off for not "respecting" him even though HR says there was nothing wrong with the emails to him and that he's overreacting) because I already have too much on my plate with that.

I'm not sure I agree.
    Last edited by Moirae; 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM.

Ok, so some additional information... apparently my DORR contacted my Res Manager to tell him that he had to go to the hospital for an emergency. He did not bother to try to contact anyone else. My Res Manager was here when he received that email and we were both at our desks, but the Res Manager didn't bother to say anything to the agents.

OMG. The communication is non-existent in this place. The Sales Assistant just told me that if she hears anything regarding my DORR or my Res Manager from now on, she will email us so that we know since the DORR and Res Manager can't be bothered to tell us. She also said that if something like this happens, we should talk to THEIR manager to get the details.

Comment

If the managers can't be bothered to pick up their phones, there are problems. If one of my employees calls me and I don't answer for whatever reason, I always call back as soon as I see the call or text. I'm responsible for the whole store, and it's my JOB to be accessible...
      You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

I have never ever been at a place thats so incredibly lacking in every possible way. I've had bad managers sure. I've been treated like dirt by guests. Heck, I've dealt with everything from fire's to police raids. But never, have I ever, been treated so insignificant and worthless as this place treats me. The only thing left would be for them to start telling me that I have to work without pay or I'll be fired or for them to start being physically/sexually abusive.

Comment

You need to get out there, yesterday. I know the economy sucks rocks right now, but even a joe job in retail or fast food would be better than the crap you're putting up with now.

There are a lot of similarities to what I went through with my last job, and why I went back to the fabric store. The signs are all there, and couldn't be more obvious if they were neon. For your own health and sanity, I urge you to find something else.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeah, they paid us. All of us complained to our manager and now he wants to have a meeting with us. Its supposed to be tomorrow. I'm guessing its to tell us all off for being "unrespectable" (I think he means disrespectful) even though HR says we were nothing of the sort since it was part of an email where he said basically exactly that.

Yeah, I know I need to get out. I'm trying to wait it out till my vacation. Then job hunt when I get back. I can't do interviews right now unless its after hours, and most bosses won't do that. What I really want to do is just walk out and be done with it.
            Last edited by Moirae; 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Quoth BrightEyedKitty View Post
              If the managers can't be bothered to pick up their phones, there are problems. If one of my employees calls me and I don't answer for whatever reason, I always call back as soon as I see the call or text. I'm responsible for the whole store, and it's my JOB to be accessible...
              My last call center job the manager Steve gave those of us who worked the odd shifts his home number, his cell number and a pager number, and in general managed to call back within 15 minutes of calling or paging him if we didn't actually manage to get him on the phone. I can remember getting him within 15 minutes at 3 am ... I wish we could clone him. [though he did have a serious thing for Beatles music, can we get that eliminated?]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Usually my DORR can be reached fairly easily, and he normally calls or texts within a half hour to an hour. I have never ever had my Reservations Manager answer a single call, and his eventual texts back are always rude that leave the feeling that we are bothering him.

Actually, I can understand why my DORR didn't message me back till today. He was in the emergency room and you are forced to turn off your phones there. I actually feel bad for having emailed him at all since there was obviously a serious problem (he's been having a kidney issue for the last month). If I had known he was there, I would NEVER have sent him that email. There are some times when you should just leave the managers alone when they aren't in, and being in the hospital is one of them.

If I had known. My Reservations Manager should have been the one to deal with it. But as usual, he was incommunicado. Worthless useless waste of money when this company is already going under. They have this worthless useless waste of a manager siphoning their cash they could be using to pay other peoples wages instead. You know, people who actually WORK.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone
                  My last call center job the manager Steve gave those of us who worked the odd shifts his home number, his cell number and a pager number, and in general managed to call back within 15 minutes of calling or paging him if we didn't actually manage to get him on the phone. I can remember getting him within 15 minutes at 3 am ... I wish we could clone him. [though he did have a serious thing for Beatles music, can we get that eliminated?]
                  When I took over the store I told all the managers to take my number and put it in their phones. I then stored all the employees' numbers, managers, drivers and insiders, in my phone. By this point, I think everyone has my number, and it's come in handy a few times.
                  You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

So, what happened?

Quoth Moirae View Post
                    Actually, I can understand why my DORR didn't message me back till today. He was in the emergency room and you are forced to turn off your phones there.
                    My local hospital actually has free wifi set up.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Nothing. The meeting never happened. He just never talked to us about it again. But I brought it up with HR, so I'm assuming she must have talked to him about it and rather than just tell us he wasn't going to have it, he decided to just not have it at all.

Comment

FWIW, because it may be useful in future, not all hospitals require phones to be off. Or maybe it depends on what part of the hospital. My mother had ankle surgery and texted me afterwards to say she'd be home after the drugs wore off. She's such a trooper. But the point is that she was using her blackberry from the post-anaesthesia area.

Comment

Working...
                        X